CRJ Crash in Katmandu

Man, maybe it’s time to count my blessings for having actually survived that Pokhara-KTM flight with Yeti several years ago. I was a little bit nervous about domestic flying but everything I saw that day actually struck me as exceedingly thoughtful and secure. RIP once again.

Nepal news states that it was NOT a “maintenance flight” as we think about it. It was a flight taking a maintenance crew to another airport FOR maintenance work! The other airport had hangar space available for said work.

According to the article (which I had to Google translate) they're investigating this as a potential weight shift accident. Allegedly a "maintenance kit" came loose and caused enough of an imbalance to lead to the crash.

According to the article (which I had to Google translate) they're investigating this as a potential weight shift accident. Allegedly a "maintenance kit" came loose and caused enough of an imbalance to lead to the crash.

There was only 1 cargo load location on the -200 as far as CG goes so something coming loose in cargo shouldn't have affected anything. I suppose if it was in the cabin and rolled all the way forward or aft it could change things, especially at lighter weights.

There was only 1 cargo load location on the -200 as far as CG goes so something coming loose in cargo shouldn't have affected anything. I suppose if it was in the cabin and rolled all the way forward or aft it could change things, especially at lighter weights.
That would have to be a massive amount of weight, right? Like thousands of pounds?

That would have to be a massive amount of weight, right? Like thousands of pounds?

I suppose. The cargo compartment of the CRJ200 holds 3500 lbs (I think... that limitation is a whole lot of airplanes ago), but you'd normally bulk out before you weighted out. In the cabin? Who knows. Under FAA regs you are pretty limited with what sort of maintenance items you can carry in the cabin but they may not be so restricted over there. I would guess a whole pile of tires rolling from the back lav to the front galley during a pushover maneuver would probably cause some issues.

I suppose. The cargo compartment of the CRJ200 holds 3500 lbs (I think... that limitation is a whole lot of airplanes ago), but you'd normally bulk out before you weighted out. In the cabin? Who knows. Under FAA regs you are pretty limited with what sort of maintenance items you can carry in the cabin but they may not be so restricted over there. I would guess a whole pile of tires rolling from the back lav to the front galley during a pushover maneuver would probably cause some issues.
I’m having trouble picturing the crj aisle as wide enough for anything particularly heavy to actually roll any significant distance

I’m having trouble picturing the crj aisle as wide enough for anything particularly heavy to actually roll any significant distance

I saw a 300 lb man roll down the aisle like a bowling ball, after his arms and legs had been chopped off outside the aft lav by a meth head with an axe.

Oh wait.....it's not halloween yet. But I love spooky stories year round?

I saw a 300 lb man roll down the aisle like a bowling ball, after his arms and legs had been chopped off outside the aft lav by a meth head with an axe.

Oh wait.....it's not halloween yet. But I love spooky stories year round?

You know how I know your story is made up?

There isn't enough room in the back of a CRJ to swing an ax to get up enough speed to cut a piece of pasta, let alone somebody's arms... even while on meth.

Back