CRJ 200 Electrical Questions

MedicRyan

Greetings and Salutations,

I am preparing for my oral and I cannot find the answer to this anywhere in my literature. After turning on the battery master, we are to make sure there are no charger messages present on the DC electrical synoptic page. What is going on if there is a charger message present? Does it mean that the batteries are charging or not charging with the message present. Why are we checking for it? My company was not very detailed beyond just making sure we are checking for it.

Thanks!

Ryan

Last edited:
Lemme do some reading and I'll get back with you. I know the answer, but I want to make sure I have the right verbage.

There is a caution message that displays for each battery charger should a fault condition exist. On the synoptic page there is an associated "charger" message that pops up along with the caution message.

I guess they may flicker on momentarily after a self test that happens after establishing AC power, but honestly I've never seen them.

Easier way to look at it is this way. Remember that this plane has a dark cockpit concept. If all is going well, no lights/messages are illuminated. In normal ops, battery chargers should be working, so you'd only get a heads up if some thing wasn't going as planned. The only exceptions being status (just a heads up) messages and advisory (confirming a specified condition) messages.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. It's always good to have an excuse to dig a little bit deeper into the books.

That is not one of the things we look for. We just have to make sure the batts have 22v minimum. Maybe your company is saying "if there was a charger message, then you would check your batts", but that's not accurate because you can have low batts and chargers that work. You also can start the APU without a working charger, you just need the batts to be charged.

I'm digging way back here...

I seem to recall that if you have a battery charging message it indicates that the batteries are charging and you *may* not have enough juice in them to crank the APU. Also I recall it had something to do with possible shorts due to the fact that there was some kind of drain on the batteries when no systems were powered up. @EDUC8-or? Interestingly enough, that message is acceptable to have on the 700/900.

Ok thanks guys, that gives me something to go off of. I remember reading about the associated EICAS messages, but nada on the synoptic page.

2qamzr4.jpg

It's the going back to the 200 that leaves you staring blankly at the overhead panel. Uh...oh yeah bleeds and packs and gens and stuff.

It's the going back to the 200 that leaves you staring blankly at the overhead panel. Uh...oh yeah bleeds and packs and gens and stuff.

Because I almost never flew the 700, I always had problems going the other way. I'd get in one and would be looking for switches that weren't actually there.

Because I almost never flew the 700, I always had problems going the other way. I'd get in one and would be looking for switches that weren't actually there.
They're mixing the schedules now, so you get a mix of 200 and 700/900 in any given month. Sometimes in the same trip or day.

The day trips out of DAY are gone now too. So you can imagine how the top of the list feels about doing 4 day trips.

They say it's more efficient but I'm still getting 2-3 hour sits on a lot of trips.

They're mixing the schedules now, so you get a mix of 200 and 700/900 in any given month. Sometimes in the same trip or day.

The day trips out of DAY are gone now too. So you can imagine how the top of the list feels about doing 4 day trips.

They say it's more efficient but I'm still getting 2-3 hour sits on a lot of trips.

I can only imagine how those super senior guys feel about doing overnights. The two FOs that did them for almost my entire time there are captains now so they probably couldn't hold them anyway, and I think one of the two captains that did them has retired. The 2-3 hour sit thing used to be there with all the 700 flying (leg in to the hub, sit 3 hours, turn, sit 3 hours, leg to the hotel/home) every day but eventually disappeared. That was one of the reasons we prioritized a min day of a duty rig.

Back