CPL, CFI, CFII, MEI and online degree credits

The Italian

I am planning on working on an aviation online degree (UVU or ERAU). Granted a MBA in Finance is on the way in the upcoming years, I would like to know whether universities that offer aviation degree programs online do give credits for CPL, CFI, CFII and MEI. If yes, how many were you given?
Does the ATP certificate help you get more credits?

Best advice you'll ever receive...

Don't go to either of those places. Get your degree in finance first.

If you are dead set on getting your ratings at a college with transferrable credits, go to Oklahoma State University or University of Oklahoma Norman. Both are actual colleges and the credits will transfer anywhere in the country.

I know it's not the question you asked but if I were you I'd concentrate on the MBA in finance and not worry about the aviation degree. Especially if you already have a four year degree or are close. When I went to Riddle years ago (like in the 80's) they gave me credit for PPL through CFI. It equaled a semesters worth. Hopefully someone else can give you more recent info.

If you are dead set on getting your ratings at a college with transferrable credits, go to Oklahoma State University or University of Oklahoma Norman. Both are actual colleges and the credits will transfer anywhere in the country.
Do these two university offer online degrees in aviation? Online degrees for the time being are the best option for me.
I know it's not the question you asked but if I were you I'd concentrate on the MBA in finance and not worry about the aviation degree. Especially if you already have a four year degree or are close. When I went to Riddle years ago (like in the 80's) they gave me credit for PPL through CFI. It equaled a semesters worth. Hopefully someone else can give you more recent info.
No, I don't have a 4-year degree nor I am enrolled in a program.
Is there any reason in particular you want an aviation degree?
Sure, I am interested in Aviation Safety and Human Factors. I want to take an MBA in Finance 'cause... well, I like finance and I know many people who are traders as well, most of them don't even have a degree.

Do these two university offer online degrees in aviation? Online degrees for the time being are the best option for me.
No, I don't have a 4-year degree nor I am enrolled in a program.

Sure, I am interested in Aviation Safety and Human Factors. I want to take an MBA in Finance 'cause... well, I like finance and I know many people who are traders as well, most of them don't even have a degree.
I don't know about online per se, but again, stay away from aviation degrees. They do absolutely zero good in the real world aside from being able to say you have a 4 year dgree. I went to OSU, and while I received a good education, I would rather have gotten a business management degree or something similar.

I get your point, but I have to say I would like to have the chance to collaborate as an investigator and work with the NTSB or other safety board agencies in Europe. I like the idea to deepen my knowledge in aviation safety, crew resource management and human factors.

I must get used to the idea of having a degree though, (either aviation or something else) because here in Europe pilots usually don't have a degree. It's something new to me.

Last edited:
I am planning on working on an aviation online degree (UVU or ERAU). Granted a MBA in Finance is on the way in the upcoming years, I would like to know whether universities that offer aviation degree programs online do give credits for CPL, CFI, CFII and MEI. If yes, how many were you given?
Does the ATP certificate help you get more credits?

If you are going to spend time and money getting an education, don't mess about with a contrived aviation "degree" convoluted from a trade school certificate. Go to a real school. Get a real degree. Study science or humanities. Get your thinking/problem solving toolkit... Apply as desired or necessary.

Among other things, I'm a part-time CFI and MBA student. My conversations with my students are interesting, and I feel I will easily land a post-MBA job (if I decide to go that way) based on my airport contacts.

If you like finance, go get a finance or an econ degree. Consider that a "real" MBA program may not look highly on your aviation degree if you choose to get one.

Ok, in the case I decide to go for a degree in finance, do you have any suggestions in terms of online degrees? Ashford, Walden, etc.?
If I had to have a back up plan, that would be finance as I have always been interested in financial markets.

None. Half the value of college is living and working with a wide variety of people.

Getting a degree in finance is tantamount to getting a degree in aviation, just with a slightly more polished veneer due to the popular perception of its earning power. MBA likewise. Been there; wish I hadn't done that. Ever considered the organizing principle of the MBA? All the skills you might need to work in an office as a compliant simulacrum of a manager. Never done any accounting? You get your smattering with your MBA. Bad math program at high school with no stats? You get your modicum with your MBA. Don't know how to write? Remedial biz writing with your MBA. Never talked to girls, er, collaborated with wimyn? Case studies with your MBA. Getting the picture? Trade School... Not even trade school; Mechanics and masons and plumbers know stuff. MBA is just basic skills training to sit in a cubicle. Finance is better, but still boils down to a few months of time value of money formulae bloated into a couple years' curriculum.
Get a real degree...learn to learn... learn to think and write clearly...then go to trade school if you wish to gain technical expertise in your chosen money making scheme. An undergrad degree is NOT about making money or getting a job. Almost anyone can learn a few tricks and make coin in an unconsidered fashion. Do yourself and the world a favor; get the big picture...learn to connect the dots, gain an understanding of this big blue ball and us monkeys with BMWs who inhabit it. Then, if you want the coin, you go grab it with a clearer mission and a fuller understanding of the consequences.

None. Half the value of college is living and working with a wide variety of people.
I would agree with you, but due to my personal situation a normal college at the moment is not feasible and an online program seems to best suit me.
Done some research and I found Southern New Hampshire University that do offer some degrees with concentration in finance.

Just to make it clear, aviation will always be my #1 priority (hopefully), but wouldn't mind to be a trader on the side. I am interested in finance, so getting a degree in finance to "tick" the box might be better then get a degree in aviation.

A question for anyone...

If you don't have a degree at all, and you've got your CFI, CFII, and MEI, would it be a good idea to take advantage of the credits you may receive for those ratings? Say towards a 2 year aviation degree, then move on to a 4 year degree in something besides aviation? How many credits would you expect to get for those ratings?

A question for anyone...

If you don't have a degree at all, and you've got your CFI, CFII, and MEI, would it be a good idea to take advantage of the credits you may receive for those ratings? Say towards a 2 year aviation degree, then move on to a 4 year degree in something besides aviation? How many credits would you expect to get for those ratings?

Yes, looking to get out of the community college I was going to I found a local program offered by a local private university called "Professional Aeronautics." It is mostly focused for military individuals in the area, but FAA certificates are transferable and you need 18 credits to enroll in the program (6 for PPL, 12 for Comm). It really revolves around a business core with fewer core courses than a 'normal' business program.

The great part, credit for your certificates is honored, the bad part is no credit for your ratings in addition to. And girls in your classes, as the there are not a lot of "aviation core" courses. I didn't get into this program to have an aviation degree, but for what I had accomplished, I wanted that to be credited to its maximum potential. It is not like you are following a school syllabus to earn the certs either. Again, most of my classes are business related. Nice find I would say.

Last edited:
Are ERAU and UVU the only online institutions that give credits for certificates and ratings?

FAA ratings have been reviewed by ACE (the group that assesses and recommends college credit for professional credentials and corporate training) so there should be plenty of colleges that will accept them if you ask admissions or your academic advisor group about it.

I believe that Excelsior (regionally accredited online programs) will apply FAA credits to most degrees, if you needed some non-program specific credits it might be a great way to save yourself a semester's worth of filler classes and a few grand in cash.

So, to put it in a simple way, FAA certificates and ratings might be applied for credits even in non-related degrees? I suppose this is not always the case, right?

Back