Cover Letter/Resume Tips For Newcomer To Aviation/Dispatching

PlaneFlasher

Hello all, the title pretty much says it all.

I am trying to break into the field of aviation. Long story short I love airplanes, graduated with a degree in Computer Science, worked for a year as a software engineer and will be getting my dispatcher certificate in mid-February.

I am trying to get a head start or at least be ready to apply to jobs ASAP. I have no experience in the field of aviation and therefore have no idea what companies are looking for in resumes and cover letters. I have attached both my cover letter and resume with some personal information redacted and would greatly appreciate any tips from ya'll with industry experience. I am not looking for proofreading or detailed review but rather formatting issues or things I may want to add specific to the field of aviation.

(I plan on updating everything related to dispatching once I actually get my certificate or at least finish enough of the course to be prepared to interview.)

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• jet_careers_resume.pdf
    413.2 KB · Views: 156
  • jetcareeres_cover_letter.pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 155
Hello all, the title pretty much says it all.

I am trying to break into the field of aviation. Long story short I love airplanes, graduated with a degree in Computer Science, worked for a year as a software engineer and will be getting my dispatcher certificate in mid-February.

I am trying to get a head start or at least be ready to apply to jobs ASAP. I have no experience in the field of aviation and therefore have no idea what companies are looking for in resumes and cover letters. I have attached both my cover letter and resume with some personal information redacted and would greatly appreciate any tips from ya'll with industry experience. I am not looking for proofreading or detailed review but rather formatting issues or things I may want to add specific to the field of aviation.

(I plan on updating everything related to dispatching once I actually get my certificate or at least finish enough of the course to be prepared to interview.)

Thanks in advance! :)

@moxiepilot helped me out a bunch last year

Maybe try and shorten the cover letter a bit (short and sweet or it won't be read) and tailor it for each specific company. I.e. mention the company by name. And for when you apply at Delta always spell it out as Delta Air Lines.

Maybe try and shorten the cover letter a bit (short and sweet or it won't be read) and tailor it for each specific company. I.e. mention the company by name. And for when you apply at Delta always spell it out as Delta Air Lines.
Thanks for the reply! I thought my cover letter was short but I'll try to shorten it. Also not sure if you saw but there are a few places where I do mention the company name. Are you suggesting I say more about the company?

Thanks for the reply! I thought my cover letter was short but I'll try to shorten it. Also not sure if you saw but there are a few places where I do mention the company name. Are you suggesting I say more about the company?
I guess I didn't notice. Yes, definitely mention the company by name. Shows you took the time to customize it for them rather than just putting a generic one out.

Back