Cost for Everything

Slugger

For anybody going to the Daytona Beach Campus now, how much is the cost for everything (tuition/flight)? I am a sophomore in high school and I am deciding between UND and ERAU. I will undoubtedly visit both schools next year, but I'd just like to know the cost ahead of time.

(I will be going into college with my PPL)

spend some time searching (there is tons of information) and find out why you dont necessarily have to go to an aviation college

It's way too much. Go somewhere else. Just ask some Riddle Alumni. It's not worth the debt or putting your parents in the hole for the education you receive. Trust me!!!;)

Slugger, if I could give you any advice at all, it would be TO NEVER EVER GO TO ERAU! I actually attended the Daytona campus my freshmen year in high school and transfered to UND after putting up with all of the ERAU b/s. The amount of money you pay to go there is not worth it at all. I hated ERAU for a list of reasons I could probably write a book on. After transfering to UND I'm loving it. I see that your from boston (one of my best friends that goes here to UND is from Boston too) so you could probably survive the North Dakota winters which is really the only downside to coming to UND but other than that UND all the way!

I graduated from ERAU Dec '06. I got my major in Aeropsace Studies and did Flight, ATC, and Meteorology minors. After everything was said and done, I did it all under student loans, got a private, instrument, commercial and multi engine rating, four years of full time tuition and a FL resident discount and owe a grand total of $170,000 (count the zeros). I'll be in debt for the rest of my life. :banghead:

I went to the prescott campus for 2 1/2 years. It's not worth it, ERAU is basically a joke in the aviation industry and I avoid telling people that I ever went there (unless it's to warn others).

I went to the prescott campus for 2 1/2 years. It's not worth it, ERAU is basically a joke in the aviation industry and I avoid telling people that I ever went there (unless it's to warn others).

LOL.

Graduated in '03. The school is too expensive for what it is. The school is not a joke in aviation, although it is wise to not tell people right off the bat you went there. Either you get: childed for spending too much, get the "ohh you are one of those" looks, or you may sound like some dick that left the school with a head as big as... well that guy up above.

When I went to riddle I had a scholorship, the planes cost $60 bucks an hour, brand new with a GPS, we had more internships than any other school, and in my free time I could take apart jet engines with some of the AMP's because the instructors were awesome about letting us sit in some of the classes. Credit hours were half what they are now and it was cheaper than INSTATE TUITION at UMASS. The connections I made got me a CFI job when the certificate was still wet with ink. I was a dispatcher at EWR and JFK for Part 129 operators for 29 different international airlines including singapore, Cathy, Air Atlanta. I helped dispatch the worlds longest flight (even got a signed release of my own from both flight crews). I was hired in with another riddle guy at Colgan with the lowest times in our class, and on my first interview. Pretty much any Riddle guy can name a kid with a year or two less on them who was flying right seat at Continental. I probably spent less than some UND guys.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Only 18 payments away from paying off my school loans right now.

Riddle costs too much. Plain and simple. If you have LOTS of money and don't mind spending it instead of ... buying your own airplane... then go for it. Just don't whine it costs to much down the road or people give you funny treatment sometimes. Riddle has become a stigma for Shiny Jet Syndrome and right now most of the guys who graduated can't get you a job because they all work at Colgan/Xjet/Air Whiskey/ASA/other east coast carrier. Right now I have a ton of UND FO's who can't get over themselves because they got to Mesaba at the right time when all of their classmates years before went to piedmont and eagle for the 1000 year upgrade. College graduation does not promise a job, BUT hr people love it and if you take the internships you will make GREAT connections.

Also I'd just like to comment on the guys posting. Listening to the guys who left riddle for whatever reason isn't really a good litmus test. Listen to those of us who actually graduated and are still in the profession.

Although our advice is going to sound dramatically similar right now. Soon as Riddle drops the credit per hour to half what it is now I'll be the first one telling you to go.

Several students dropped out and came to ASU because they only flew once if they were lucky their first semester. Here at ASU you start your second week.

Also I'd just like to comment on the guys posting. Listening to the guys who left riddle for whatever reason isn't really a good litmus test. Listen to those of us who actually graduated and are still in the profession.

Although our advice is going to sound dramatically similar right now. Soon as Riddle drops the credit per hour to half what it is now I'll be the first one telling you to go.

I should probably add that I didn't just quit school or something after leaving riddle. I tranferred to SIU, spent much less than I would have at ERAU, did all my ratings at an FBO, got a much more versatile degree, and I found a very satisfying and stable career in aviation as a direct result of leaving that place.

If you have to be wary of telling others about it, then it most certainly is a joke. I sort of laugh and cry when I see the costs of the place now, so I guess it's more of a dark comedy.

I graduated from ERAU Dec '06. I got my major in Aeropsace Studies and did Flight, ATC, and Meteorology minors. After everything was said and done, I did it all under student loans, got a private, instrument, commercial and multi engine rating, four years of full time tuition and a FL resident discount and owe a grand total of $170,000 (count the zeros). I'll be in debt for the rest of my life. :banghead:

And to the original poster- LISTEN TO THIS PERSON

wow.

Look at Colorado Northwestern Community College or Dowling college. I went to both and spent half of what ERU cost and IMO I enjoyed every moment of it because I got the best of both worlds with flying in the rockies to getting a degree in how to talk to ATC in NYC. ERU is way overrated and every pilot I came across that went their thinks that they are gods gift to Aviation. And 95% of them can't fly stick and rudder to save their life. Plus I find it pretty sad that anytime you tell people that you went to ERU, 99.9% of the time you will get the cold shoulder.
Its not worth it!!!!!:bandit:

Just go to a regular college & train at an FBO. I'm currently at an FBO & don't have to take out any loans. However, I do have a pretty well paying job, too.

Katie

Not sure what deal you got in on but when I went there starting Fall '01 it was almot as expensive tuition wise as they are now. If Riddle is cheaper than any in state tuition then you are looking at the wrong school to begin with. Riddle is more along out of state tuition if anything. Even back in 01 planes were WAAAAYYYYY more than 60/hr. More like 160-180 if I recall correctly, including instructor.

I was all set to start up again at the beginning of this month and then had to pull the plug bc i just don't want to go in debt. At a minimum it was going to be over 80k for me to finish my flying and finish school. And that was for only two years.

I'm still here at Riddle, graduating in May and currently an instructor there. If your still considering it, just PM me and I'll give you my rundown. There are some ups and some downs just like going everywhere else. Riddle is not for everyone, some aspects of the school I really enjoyed, some items I feel like they could have done better and the others was a complete waste of my time.

I'd recommend looking around some more. You have plenty of time and UND and ERAU aren't the only places you can go.

As far as cost goes, ERAU gave me the least amount of money in scholarships when compared to FIT and DWC and those schools are in the same ballpark to start with.

Like everybody else says, seriously consider a non aviation degree (or at least aviation management/aero engineering). I had a good time at an aviation college and I definitely don't regret it but on the other hand graduating in this economy definitely makes me think it may have been a good idea to get a degree it something more useful. Remember, any degree is fine for the airlines and any good part 141 school is probably close to the education you'll get at an aviation school. It's tough to pay back loans on a CFI salary and right now that's hard enough to find.

Kevin

Not sure what deal you got in on but when I went there starting Fall '01 it was almot as expensive tuition wise as they are now. If Riddle is cheaper than any in state tuition then you are looking at the wrong school to begin with. Riddle is more along out of state tuition if anything. Even back in 01 planes were WAAAAYYYYY more than 60/hr. More like 160-180 if I recall correctly, including instructor.

I was all set to start up again at the beginning of this month and then had to pull the plug bc i just don't want to go in debt. At a minimum it was going to be over 80k for me to finish my flying and finish school. And that was for only two years.

Well I was there in '99. It was 60 bucks an hour, I remember because thats what I paid. I was there when the flight line increased the cost to 64.37 and we all bitched and bitched and bitched. I was mostly done by fall of '01. When I left, '03 it was 120-140 an hour.

BTW, in reference to the bold. I don't know what the hell your talking about but the day I need your smug help finding schools I'll have a tag on my toe.

If you have to be wary of telling others about it, then it most certainly is a joke. I sort of laugh and cry when I see the costs of the place now, so I guess it's more of a dark comedy.

That logic almost follows.

There are these guys out here, almost like roving packs, who are upset not everyone went the way they went. Also, these irrational creatures cannot judge time, they are too young or too dumb to understand simple concepts like raising tuition. Unfortunately for them, when I get a smug comment it's usually from some kid in the right seat.

Sort of a dark comedy, but the funniest part I find, is often I've paid less than them going to riddle from '99-'03 then they did going to the state schools (because state schools bone people too, and after a while, price goes up).

I have a good laugh at the price now. Which I've said. But blasting away from your high and mighty perch of "I got a better deal" is hilarious when look at the reality of my situation at the time. In '99 riddle made the most sense and gave me a very good price. I also paid less than instate at UMASS. There were other schools that were cheaper, but after the scholarship was all said and done I really felt I got a very good deal. Doesn't sound like that deal is around anymore, and that is too bad.

From my perspective, there are two different schools. The ERAU I went to first 2 years, and the ERAU that I left behind and is there now. Luckily I was grandfathered on most of the hourly credit hikes.

I'd also like to indicate that many Riddle guys have been very successful and they do attribute it to the school. The reality is, the school is so much different than when I went there I'm not comfortable recommending them. I went into other things when the industry went to hell and I've been able to come back and do well. Many of the guys that I knew are at Delta, were at Continental, NWA, or have done very well at the LLC's like Jetblue, Southwest, or Air Tran. Now not everyone on that list thinks the school was why they are where they are. Personally I believe that attitude is everything and no matter the school you goto, if you stay humble and work hard you will do alright. This industry is just too much about timing and who you know to base everything on a school.

Also, in my opinion, Riddle has too many pro-management professors who tell you things that are just wrong about the industry. Take with grain of salt, I ain't been doing this for decades.

Back