Cost for Everything

Graduated Riddle-PRC in '93. Made my own way to where I am now in aviation. I personally wouldn't recommend Riddle for the price of it. What you're paying vs what you receive is pretty skewed IMHO.

I highly recommend Riddle, unlike (what it seems) everyone else here. How you train is your own business though. There is no reason why you should fly on campus, unless you want to try that environment. The degree is great, and the name is highly recognized. Everywhere in the world people recognize it and understand that you know your stuff (which may or not be true).

I spent 4 years there, got my Aeronautics degree with three minors. I have many options, and Riddle has opened many doors.

If you can't afford it, I would recommend applying for scholarships, there are TONS out there, and with a little work, you can have most of your school paid for. I have to only pay back $35,000 through loans, so it is comparable to most schools, even though tuition may seem expensive.

Through college, I was able to sustain a full time job, girlfriend, and still be able to have enough time to get my ratings.

Whether or not you agree with me, I don't care, I'm just stating my personal opinion.

PM Me and we'll chat.

I am a parent of a child that just graduated from Embry-Riddle with a major in Aeronautical Science and a minors in Air Traffic. I have no aviation experience, so bear with me.
Tuition, room & board – $74,000 for 4 years or $18,500 per year, this was the cost after scholarships, no financial aid was included.
Flight training – Private, Multi, Instrument, Commercial, Single engine add on, CFI-1 & 2, Total $54, 105
Total Cost for 4 years, tuition, room, board and flight = $128,105
I’m not going to defend Embry-Riddle but these are some things to consider.
Many parents send their children to private colleges that cost $35 - $40,000 or more per year. A friend’s son just graduated from Clarkson with $140,000 debt, another from RIT with $120,000, another from Vassar with $95,000 in student loans.
A New York state college costs $17,500 per year and give very few scholarships, add flight from your local airport and the cost would be about the same.
I’d like to see all pilots go to an aviation university or the military for their education and flight training. I know many pilots won’t agree with me, but look at it from my point of view. Maybe if all pilots had standardized educations and training, plane crashes like the one that took place in Buffalo would be decreased or eliminated.
At an aviation university when you major in aeronautics you not only learn to fly a plane, you learn about the aircraft, the physics behind the aircraft, aerodynamics, etc. Not only do you learn a skill ,you learn the theory involved. Think of any job, an teacher has a teaching degree, an engineer an engineer degree and so on. So why can a pilot have a degree in art and still fly a plane? Ground labs can not begin to cover what you learn in 128 college credits.
Looking back, as a parent I feel my child got an excellent education on and off the ground.
Now, to find a job!!

Riddle's roll call at the NIFA opening ceremony this morning:

"Four years at Embry Riddle: $150,000. Not being able to get a job: Priceless".

I just graduated from ERAU Prescott Campus in May this year. Now granted I may be the small end of the spectrum but it was by far the best $180,000 I spent on my education/flying career. I graduated with a BS in Aeronautical Science and a Minor in Aviation Safety Science. Also, in the 4 years that I was there I completed my Private, Multi-engine, Commercial (single and multi), CFI/CFII. I wasn't on scholarship, my parents dont have money, I took out loans and I am proud of it. I have since visited quite a few places in the aviation community and have been checked out at multiple flight schools and I have breezed through the check-outs and have even been complimented on the flight training I "must have received from wherever I went". Don't get me wrong, ERAU is a very expensive school to attend, and at times everyone who goes there questions why, but I have never been so happy with the quality of flight training and the amount of networking I was able to accomplish while I was there. Don't count it out because of the cost. And, as for the comments about not getting any flight done in the first semester... this is aviation people, you get out of it what you put in, ERAU is just like any large flight school or FBO, if you dont get on someone to get you going, they arent going to hand it to you. Just keep bugging people until you get what you need.

I just graduated from ERAU Prescott Campus in May this year. Now granted I may be the small end of the spectrum but it was by far the best $180,000 I spent on my education/flying career. I graduated with a BS in Aeronautical Science and a Minor in Aviation Safety Science. Also, in the 4 years that I was there I completed my Private, Multi-engine, Commercial (single and multi), CFI/CFII. I wasn't on scholarship, my parents dont have money, I took out loans and I am proud of it. I have since visited quite a few places in the aviation community and have been checked out at multiple flight schools and I have breezed through the check-outs and have even been complimented on the flight training I "must have received from wherever I went". Don't get me wrong, ERAU is a very expensive school to attend, and at times everyone who goes there questions why, but I have never been so happy with the quality of flight training and the amount of networking I was able to accomplish while I was there. Don't count it out because of the cost. And, as for the comments about not getting any flight done in the first semester... this is aviation people, you get out of it what you put in, ERAU is just like any large flight school or FBO, if you dont get on someone to get you going, they arent going to hand it to you. Just keep bugging people until you get what you need.
WOW. $180K. How in the world are you going to pay those loans back??? I'm glad you enjoyed your time there, and feel you got good training, but I wish you the best of luck paying off those loans.

And to respond to a post or two above, I am a Riddle graduate. I do not recommend $180K for this profession, whether your parents foot the bill, or you go the loan route. If you have a full ride or close to it scholarship, more power to you!!

Hey man if your from the Boston area you should check out Daniel Webster in Nashua. That's where I'll be going in the fall, and from what I've learned in the past two years its a great school.

Let me know if you have questions.

Oh. Geez.

Holy &!@#!!! 180k is alot of money. 4 years of UND cost me 88K including flying but not including living expenses.

I didn't go to Riddle, but the majority of my friends did and regret it.

I went to a State University, majored in Business, worked at an FBO full-time (that paid 85% of my tuition), worked towards my ratings on weekends, and still kept a girlfriend.

I paid for my schooling and my flight training all by myself. I have very little debt, nothing greater than 2,000 and a respectable degree in my pocket that works as a great backup.

I just don't see how people want to pay $75k+ for a diploma that does nothing for you except give you that "four year" degree. At least opt for the Aviation Mgmt degree, so that if you become furloughed, you can work as an airport operations supervisor or manager.

I know this is my first post on the forum, but I just couldn't help myself, LOL.

I seriously don't understand what all the Embry-Riddle Hate is all about. Didn't some people do their research first before choosing their school? If you go to an Embry-Riddle-Worldwide Extended Campus you'll only be paying about 1/8th of the amount you would be paying to go to one of their main campuses. See GINORMOUS difference in costs here ------------>> http://www.erau.edu/admissions/estimated-costs.html. Same exact thing.... you walk out with an ERAU degree. There are -TON of these campuses throughout the US as well.

Don't let the negative nancies get in the way of what it is you want to do with your life. Do some research first. :rolleyes:

:eek: I have no doubt that you received a fine education, BS, and a minor from ERAU. But $180,000?!??! Surely a red flag went up when you were exploring the costs of this program before you started college, especially if you didn't come from family money like you stated above. Right now $180,000 could buy you a fine house or condo in certain parts of the country.

To the original poster, let this serve as an example of why a non-aviation college/degree and FBO flight training is usually a far better choice and will get you just as far in the aviation world. My alma mater Florida is just one of many examples that provide an excellent quality degree and a decent low cost option FBO at the airport to provide flight training at the same time.

I'm not trying to pick on you swarhol, but the most baffling thing to me (assuming your user profile is up to date) is that in four years of college at ERAU you have a CSEL, CMEL, CFI, and CFII, 250 hours, no MEI and are currently flight instructing. I think you will find more often than not most of the professional pilots on this forum had far exceeded 250 hours in four years worth of flying and are extremely competent aviators.

Best of luck to you.

I know this is my first post on the forum, but I just couldn't help myself, LOL.

I seriously don't understand what all the Embry-Riddle Hate is all about. Didn't some people do their research first before choosing their school? If you go to an Embry-Riddle-Worldwide Extended Campus you'll only be paying about 1/8th of the amount you would be paying to go to one of their main campuses. See GINORMOUS difference in costs here ------------>> http://www.erau.edu/admissions/estimated-costs.html. Same exact thing.... you walk out with an ERAU degree. There are -TON of these campuses throughout the US as well.

Don't let the negative nancies get in the way of what it is you want to do with your life. Do some research first. :rolleyes:

This seems like a far more frugal idea if you must have an aviation degree from ERAU.

I will be attending ERAU in Daytona this fall. I got my tuition bill in and, luckily, handed it to my parents. After looking at it, they said, "Wow! That's not as much as we anticipated." They paid my sister's college education (BS in Biology) and paid a total of $155,000. So with flight training and such, ERAU really isn't that much more expensive than a good university. My tuition is only 14k a year though because of scholarships...

What is sad is you don't know what other training programs are like. If you went through one you would realize that you do in fact overpay for Riddle. And why would you be proud of being 180M in debt???

I will be attending ERAU in Daytona this fall. I got my tuition bill in and, luckily, handed it to my parents. After looking at it, they said, "Wow! That's not as much as we anticipated." They paid my sister's college education (BS in Biology) and paid a total of $155,000. So with flight training and such, ERAU really isn't that much more expensive than a good university. My tuition is only 14k a year though because of scholarships...
No Riddle IS more expensive than a good University. As was the school your sister went to. The price tag on the degree does not dictate the quality of the school. Believe it or not...the school I work at in the middle of nowhere OK can produce pilots of the same quality of Riddle, or Purdue, Or UND, or ATP, or any other program.

Riddle Will not make you Super pilot. Just super bankrupt.

I would go the state college/FBO route, but I'd be afraid that I wouldn't be able to fit the flying into my college schedule (studying, etc). Has anybody done this?

Just go to a regular college & train at an FBO. I'm currently at an FBO & don't have to take out any loans. However, I do have a pretty well paying job, too.

Katie

I'm in STC and MN is no place for flight training! :)

Seriously, don't go to UND, go somewhere warm.

Back