Controllers -- Things Pilot's Say That Annoy You.

PilotBeckfizzle

What are some of the most common annoyances you hear on a regular basis from pilots since a lot of us always abbreviate and shorten things to the Nth degree--or don't at all. What are some things we can say or not say that would make your ears less annoyed?

"We're in very occasional, very very light chop... how are the rides ahead?"

"Hows the ride ahead" would suffice, I don't mind more banter when its not busy, but pilots should listen in on a frequency for a few moments before checking in with a story about their mothers thanksgiving dinner...

Here at this facility one of my big things is... a pilot calls to taxi and doesn't say what runway he wants. So I assign him one w/ the taxi clearance then they say, "Can we get runway 3?"

"Looking" sounds so much more proactive than "negative contact." Every time I hear some guy croak "negative contact" after a traffic call, it just sounds like he's given up and the controller should vector him around the traffic.

My favorite is, "Traffic at your 5oclock be passing behind ya."
Hopefully I'm just suppose to say "OK, thanks" and watch the TCAS because I'm not even gonna pretend I'm looking outside.

Everyday it seems to be something new.

"We've got the atis" is one. You have it, great...but uh...which one? It means about as much as "we've got them on tcas".

Not really an annoyance but more of a "huh?" thing. When we clear someone for takeoff, they taxi onto the runway...and then verify that they are indeed cleared for takeoff (Skywest). I don't get it. Our airport has no position and hold so that phrase is never said on frequency...ever. It does get our attention though!

Everyday it seems to be something new.

"We've got the atis" is one. You have it, great...but uh...which one? It means about as much as "we've got them on tcas".

Not really an annoyance but more of a "huh?" thing. When we clear someone for takeoff, they taxi onto the runway...and then verify that they are indeed cleared for takeoff (Skywest). I don't get it. Our airport has no position and hold so that phrase is never said on frequency...ever. It does get our attention though!

Is anyone here on this forum in Memphis? I'd love to pick you guys brain over some beers at Fox and the Hound.

Not really an annoyance but more of a "huh?" thing. When we clear someone for takeoff, they taxi onto the runway...and then verify that they are indeed cleared for takeoff (Skywest). I don't get it.

It's more of a CYA thing. Whenever cleared for takeoff, I always state "Cleared for takeoff" with the runway ID and initial heading if one assigned. That way, it's on the CVR so there can be no doubt if the AIB ever has to reconstruct things.

What are some of the most common annoyances you hear on a regular basis from pilots since a lot of us always abbreviate and shorten things to the Nth degree--or don't at all. What are some things we can say or not say that would make your ears less annoyed?

Any response that does not include your call sign. :banghead:

It's more of a CYA thing. Whenever cleared for takeoff, I always state "Cleared for takeoff" with the runway ID and initial heading if one assigned. That way, it's on the CVR so there can be no doubt if the AIB ever has to reconstruct things.

I understand that, but after they read back the takeoff clearance...they proceed to taxi onto the runway, line up...and either as they are slowly rolling or just plain stopped...they key up "verify cleared for takeoff". I really don't get it. Why you on the runway if you aren't sure? If it happened only once I wouldn't be talking about it :)

"Looking" sounds so much more proactive than "negative contact." Every time I hear some guy croak "negative contact" after a traffic call, it just sounds like he's given up and the controller should vector him around the traffic.

But when you're in IMC, "looking" doesn't do any good either - about as good as telling the controller you're in IMC. Negative contact is more of a truthful response no matter how you 'look' at it (no pun intended).

"We've got the atis" is one. You have it, great...but uh...which one?

Guilty...but in my defense, the only reason I would ever say it is because I can't remember what I wrote down and can't find the piece of paper I wrote it on! :p

I heard a clip of a Southwest flight check in with a controller at LAS...it went something like this:

SWAXXX: LAS APP, SWAXXX is descending out of 15,000 for 12,000 <insert STAR>
LAS APP: SWAXXX, Roger, descend and maintain 7000, expect the visual to 25L and verify information X-ray
SWAXXX: We have X-ray
LAS APP: SWAXXX, Gotcha! The current ATIS is actually Lima, let me know when you have that.

When we climb someone directly underneath to minimum sep IE 1000' we are still required to pass traffic, but I usually add a remark which would indicate I know the guy on top cannot see:

"Delta 43, if you look through the floor/open the window and lean over the side, traffic directly underneath you climbing to FL350"

I'm suprised more controllers aren't chiming in here with all of the funny stuff we say. Although I never do it, I'm always tempted to say "altitude" when approach says "say altitude". I always get a kick outta that one. One thing I did do last week coming out of BOS was the female controller asked my on course heading and without missing a beat I said "058 sir" OOPS! I felt like a goob.

Back