Controllers -- Things Pilot's Say That Annoy You.

One thing I did do last week coming out of BOS was the female controller asked my on course heading and without missing a beat I said "058 sir" OOPS! I felt like a goob.

You know what's worse? When you do that to your waitress...:eek:.

Drunk guy: "Yes sir, I wanna Jack on the rocks!"

Waitress: "I think you've had enough........."

hate when that happens:banghead:

Yeah, too bad I was at lunch on a day trip and completely sober. The worst part was when she said "I think you did that last time too".

"SoanSo turn right three zero degrees"

"Ahhh ooook three zerooooo degrees, and uh..... which direction was that again?"

"It was right, and now its FIVE zero!"

Actually one of the funniest ATC related jokes I heard was from a guy who used to work here:

"Air Canada 258, vectors for traffic turn right thirty degrees"

"Air Canada 258 roger, how long are we gonna be on this heading?"

*Controller realizing it wasn't going to work*

"Well not as long as I thought, turn right another thirty!"

A couple of mine, I'm not a controller though but:

Use of non-ICAO words like "Niner one niner SHOOGA POP"

"Checkin' on at 350"

"Onboard at 350"

Runner up for worst ever: (overheard in JFK a few days ago:) "Comair 123, climbing out of one decimal eight for five" (gotta bust on comair because I think everyone within earshot did the "face palm")

Worst ever: "Airliner 123 pimpin' two-five-oh"

And anyone who says "Barn-JOO-WEEER" to Paris Arrival. If ya can't say it right maing, don't say it! :)

Actually one of the funniest ATC related jokes I heard was from a guy who used to work here:

"Air Canada 258, vectors for traffic turn right thirty degrees"

"Air Canada 258 roger, how long are we gonna be on this heading?"

*Controller realizing it wasn't going to work*

"Well not as long as I thought, turn right another thirty!"
I have to ask you something about canadian controllers.

Is it required that you be the last person to make a noise on the radio during a pilot controller communication?

Canadian Controller: Jetlink 1234 descend maintain 11,000
Pilot: Descend 11,000 Jetlink 1234
Canadian Controller: Roger

Canadian Controller: Jetlink 1234 turn right heading 030
Pilot: Right heading 030 Jetlink 1234

I've heard more than once people joking that they can get into "roger fights" with canadian controllers by responding to their "roger" with their own "roger", which of course is then responded to by the canadian controller with another "roger" and so on...

Worst ever: "Airliner 123 pimpin' two-five-oh"

I may have told this story on here once (or maybe it was in Vegas, because I can remember Dough cracking up when I told it) but a few years ago heading into Birmingham, AL we overheard a Skywest flight check in with "Yo, BHam, what up? SkywestXXXX at 10,000 pimpin' yankee".

Interestingly enough about two months ago I had to divert into BHM and there was a Flight Express Barron (I think) landing on 36 in front of us who kept saying "BHam", so maybe that is considered acceptable.

I may have told this story on here once (or maybe it was in Vegas, because I can remember Dough cracking up when I told it) but a few years ago heading into Birmingham, AL we overheard a Skywest flight check in with "Yo, BHam, what up? SkywestXXXX at 10,000 pimpin' yankee".

That's probably worth a b*tch-slap over the radio.

"Hey Skywest, you might want to think about being professional enough to use correct radio terminology, lest everyone think you actually do deserve the paltry wage you're earning."

Yeah, too bad I was at lunch on a day trip and completely sober. The worst part was when she said "I think you did that last time too".

:rotfl:HAHA Oh man, once is bad but twice? I think I would have crawled under the table.

Oh man, I hear this one all the time! ATC tells someone something and you get a random "roger" and it's like who the heck said that?

Absolutely drives me Bonkas. It has gotten worse an worse and the pilots think that we memorize voices. I must get 50+ of these a day and not just from Joe GA but from the Pros mostly.

Hey Canadian_atc-

I hope your fellow coworker passed on the "Tell him that Delta 119's got veeeeery very very occasional light chop here at 390, ask him how the rides are ahead" this morning!

:)

I have to ask you something about canadian controllers.

Is it required that you be the last person to make a noise on the radio during a pilot controller communication?

Canadian Controller: Jetlink 1234 descend maintain 11,000
Pilot: Descend 11,000 Jetlink 1234

Canadian Controller: Jetlink 1234 turn right heading 030
Pilot: Right heading 030 Jetlink 1234

I've heard more than once people joking that they can get into "roger fights" with canadian controllers by responding to their "roger" with their own "roger", which of course is then responded to by the canadian controller with another "roger" and so on...
LOL...well unfortunately, we're required to respond with a Roger to any ATC instruction readback, it confirms your readback was correct.

I know you're going to say "Well if its wrong just fix it"

Rules are rules, so trust me it's not said because we want to.

Hey Canadian_atc-

I hope your fellow coworker passed on the "Tell him that Delta 119's got veeeeery very very occasional light chop here at 390, ask him how the rides are ahead" this morning!

:)
His joke back about Air Canada was of course intentional. (and from me)

Those guys will sewer a controller with turbulence reports! Known the entire country over for their non-stop turbulence that no-one else seems to get.

Now if there is any ACA guys here, I know it's drilled into you guys to find smooth air as a major priority moreso than other airlines, it's just developed into a culture, definately not a bad thing for the passengers and flight safety however.

Interestingly enough about two months ago I had to divert into BHM and there was a Flight Express Barron (I think) landing on 36 in front of us who kept saying "BHam", so maybe that is considered acceptable.

In Florida people call Jacksonville Center "Jax Center". I hear the controllers say it too.

Is it really such a big deal if it cuts down on radio traffic?

In Florida people call Jacksonville Center "Jax Center". I hear the controllers say it too.

Is it really such a big deal if it cuts down on radio traffic?

Short answer... yes.
Long answer... Yes because most of the time when pilots talk and when controllers key up they cut off a portion of their transmission. i.e. "<click> 541, with you." Now me as a controller, I don't know who this guy is. The part where he says "with you" is another pet peeve but is for another time.

Here is an example of a controller doing it "<click>541, turn right heading 210."

Back