Continental 1404 Denver Crash

Great share cal!

Reminds me of the time I met the Legacy Captain who was involved in the midair collision over Brazil.

Makes you think.

GREAT POST! Thanks for sharing... brought me back down to earth for a much needed reality check!

Thanks!

I'm also interested in knowing what happens when a passenger sues you individually...

In my very limited experience with the legal system, I understand it as such:if it's a criminal suit you can be a named respondent, but absent some form of gross negligence on your part you will probably be thrown out in favor of the employer. In a civil suit, however, you will remain as part of the suit, but the burden of proof is on whoever filed suit and is harder to satisfy.

I could have that completely backwards, though.

Thank you for this thread CalCapt. I'm sitting in my hotel waiting for my PC tomorrow, so this is definitely something to think about while we practice our well-rehearsed motions in the magic box.

Thanks for passing it all on the way you did. I think we can all admit an emergency landing isn't always the first thing on our minds when we cruise along. I know I for one don't really wonder "what if a bird strike or a sudden electrical fire happened right now" when I'm cruising along fat dumb and happy in a 172. It can happen.

Good post Calcapt.

So many times, we only get one side of the story, and it is eye opening to get the other side.

Well said. And thats a good point made about the difference between success and failure being a very thin line. Whether we want to or not, anyone of us are susceptible to being in that exact situation.

As I've stated before: Anything and everything is possible at any given time, with or without prior notice.

That is well said.

Thanks for the comments CalCapt! I'm glad your F/O was willing to talk about it and let you share his comments in a public forum. The lawsuit thing doesn't surprise me, yet I am really bothered by it. I hope things clear up for them.

They have been pushing us here to not be so complacent or allow ourselves to get lured in to sloppiness by the redundancy of what we do each day. Reading this thread just solidifies that we can't let our guard down, ever, on this job. Yet even then there are no perfect guarantees.

Back