Continental 1404 Denver Crash

There was an awkwardness about the ordeal almost from the start. Bob had many phone conversations with company personnel, union guys and various government entities. It was very sterile and of course everything was on the record. There were issues concerning Bob getting a 709 ride which is as I understand it is an FAA observed checkride which literally puts your credentials at risk if the FAA is not satisfied with your performance. Then there are the days when he walks through the terminal and one passing pilot whispers to another "that is the guy in the Denver crash." Can you even imagine the weight of that on a day to day basis?

Bob also shared with me that both he and the captain are being sued individually by several passengers and he was preparing to give a deposition within days of our trip ending. Bob's family owns a big farm in the Dakotas and he shared with me that this incident has literally taken the joys of flying and flushed them. He will likely leave the airline within a few years to take his family and continue running the family farm when his father retires.

I could see it in Bobs eyes that he was spent, not in a tired sense but like someone who has been beaten up and left to heal on their own. I truly felt sorry for his situation but somehow saying "keep your chin up" just didn't seem appropriate.

So what did I learn from all this?

I shook hands with Bob as we left the airport that day realizing that I really didn't have a clue about what to expect in an actual crash situation. Sure, I pretend well in the simulator as I bring the airplane to a stop and dutifully run the checklist knowing that the rescue teams will arrive shortly to make it all OK. I have always left the sim sessions quite confident in my abilities and a bit proud of myself for knowing my procedures so well.

I now know that the difference between success and failure is a very thin line at times. That could have easily been me that night or any of you for that matter.

Where is my mind at night as I liftoff on my way to Cancun or San Francisco? Is it on my crew meals, my USA today that I haven't got to yet or my car that is in getting new brakes? I can assure you that it isn't typically on thinking about where I am going to land when an engine shells or what I am going to do if a bird comes through the window. Is that over thinking or prudence? And God forbid, if I do find myself in a field off the runway or in a river sometime, what are my priorities and what will I have to work with?

I now find myself better understanding the concept of sterile cockpit and crew coordination efforts. I now put off chatting about insignificant things like I used to and focus a bit more on my role as captain and the responsibility it brings. I think more about my passengers and about their special needs. How is the 85 year old immobile gentleman in 8A going to get off the airplane as he certainly won't be able to do it himself. What about using the retired airline captain in 24D as a resource should I need him for some reason? Reflection and contemplation are much more a part of my professional life than they have ever been.

I guess you could say Bob opened my eyes a bit and allowed me to peek inside this scary world that we would all like to believe will never never enter. I sincerely hope that the NTSB and the FAA will find factual truths and respond with prudent actions in examining this incident. These are good men with good hearts and they would never ever do anything to compromise the health or safety of those they are charged to protect.

I have recommitted to myself to be more vigilant as a captain - to take things a bit more seriously in the future the things that I have neglected in the past. I have committed to my passengers to provide to them the very best I have to offer in skill and wisdom. Don't they deserve that?

I am proud to be an airline pilot and proud to be a small part of JC. Whether you are a student pilot, a doctor, a firefighter, a homemaker or actually fly for a living, we can all learn something from Bob and he would be happy knowing that he perhaps made a difference in a good way for some of us.

Well said. And thats a good point made about the difference between success and failure being a very thin line. Whether we want to or not, anyone of us are susceptible to being in that exact situation.

As I've stated before: Anything and everything is possible at any given time, with or without prior notice.

The Grim Reaper of aviation comes calling at a time of his choosing. You won't see him on his way, but you'll know when he's arrived.

the difference between success and failure being a very thin line.

Absolutely true. The smallest speck that turns the tide in your favor and not against is usually the thing we cannot pinpoint, simply calling it luck or good fortune.

Great post!

Man, the scariest part of that whole thing is getting sued personally by multiple passengers. I mean, can they do that? I thought employers were the responsible parties when employees made mistakes? Vicarious liability?

What about it from the post crash legal side? Should professional pilots on here consider placing their assets in their spouses names, or trust entities?

It would suck to build your career and nest egg to lose it on an accident. I know how I hide my wealth but my situation is different than a payroll employee that gets sued personally by a passenger.

That is some serious food for though imo.

What about it from the post crash legal side? Should professional pilots on here consider placing their assets in their spouses names, or trust entities?

It would suck to build your career and nest egg to lose it on an accident. I know how I hide my wealth but my situation is different than a payroll employee that gets sued personally by a passenger.

That is some serious food for though imo.

Yes this thread is eye opening in that respect. The thought that I could do everything RIGHT and still have to hand over everything I've worked for to a pax has never crossed my mind. But it is a scary possibility. I know that's not the focus of your post calcapt. Thank you for sharing, great stuff there.

Thanks for taking the time to compose such a useful, well-written series of posts.

It's rare in life when you meet someone with such a rare experience, and then it's translated to everyone else so well.

Great Post! It really makes you think about the decisions you make in the cockpit, and how fast things actually happen (especially on the TO roll).

Back