CONCORDE IN DULLES?

SEAN

anyone have any details on the concordes arrival into dullles today at 330? runway? parking? exhibit? etc?

Go to airliners.net

They will tell you what time (To the second), what runway, who the pilots will be, what time they used the bathroom at, how many gallons of potty power are on the lav, the amount of JET-A uploaded in London, what the capt. ate 3 weeks ago, and the exact taxiways they will take.

There's an Air Froggie Concorde that has been parked at IAD since mid-June. If you taxi out to 30 or 1L (or from 12 or 19R) you can see it just south of the D concourse. It is destined for the new branch of the Smithsonian.

no, the concorde it making a final flight today into dulles as part of a tour of the states before heading to boston. I wantedo to watch the approach in. on the radio they said 330 pm. i thought maybe someone could give me some more info....guess i was wrong mcdoofer...jackass.

dude calm down.....I was just being a smarta$$. The dorks at airliners.net seem to know all that stuff like when and where it will arrive. I was just suggesting go to it.

SORRY, HAVING A BAD DAY AT WORK...AND I TOOK IT OUT ON YOU. ILL CHECK IT OUT.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION.

[ QUOTE ]
a tour of the states before heading to boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea when it's gonna be in Boston? Or did I miss it....

im not really sure of when it will be in boston. i just heard that somewhere, not sure of its accuracy.

I did however head over to dulles after work tonite to get a look. there was a big brit air event set up with lots of "important people"....limos and catering, etc....that plane is so immense. i had no idea it was so big. the nose gear alone must have been 8 feet tall...anyhow, i am glad i sat in 2 hours of traffic to get a peak of it on the ramp.....and to top it off a b-747 landed on 19R(200 yds away from me) while i was standing there....some cool sh##......

[ QUOTE ]
Go to airliners.net

They will tell you what time (To the second), what runway, who the pilots will be, what time they used the bathroom at, how many gallons of potty power are on the lav, the amount of JET-A uploaded in London, what the capt. ate 3 weeks ago, and the exact taxiways they will take.

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And this may be a dumb question, but is it touring the US? If so will it be in the midwest at anypoint?

[ QUOTE ]
i had no idea it was so big.

[/ QUOTE ]

BIG?? I always thought it was small, put it next to a B-777, or B-747.

I am not sure it is 'touring' the US per se, BA used to fly them to Dulles on a semi regular basis - so it is not too surprising it is there.

I got to talk to someone who was on that flight, and he said that it really was pretty uneventful. I asked him if there was any buffeting before they hit Mach 1 and went beyond it, and he said no. In fact, he said that if they didn't announce it, you wouldn't have known that it was supersonice.

A couple of things he noted that were different, though, was how small the cabin is. It is a 2+2 seating arrangement, and it's pretty tight. You can't use your seatback tray and sit comfortably. Also, he said that if you are taller than 6'2" or so, you'd have to duck to get on.

The other thing he noticed was on takeoff. He said that you really get pushed back in your seat when Concorde accelerates.

I asked him whether he got to take a look in the cockpit but he didn't get to answer me because we were interrupted. I know it's not a glass one, but I'd like to hear about what it looked like.

BTW, Doug, there was one of your colleagues on that flight who proposed to someone.

yeah, i might have been wrong about the "touring" part...i got that info from a buddy. nonetheless---the aircraft looked huge because i expected something much smaller. although, standing out there next to it made that thing seem larger than life. you are right though....a 747 makes it seem like small pototaoes. i think the reason this flight was such a big deal is because its teh official last flight before its final landing at heathrow on the 24th. not sure what it is doing for the next 10 days.....might want to check airliners.net

Concorde Crosses Atlantic In Record Time
Jetliner On Farewell Tour

POSTED: 5:59 p.m. EDT October 9, 2003

BOSTON -- The Concorde is going out with a bang -- or make that a boom. A sonic boom.

A British Airways Concorde landed in Boston Wednesday evening after setting a new trans-Atlantic record. The London-to-U.S. time was three hours, five minutes and 34 seconds.

The jetliner travels at more than 1,300 mph, twice the speed of sound.

The Concorde is visiting Boston as part of its North American farewell tour. It will also be making stops in Washington and Toronto.

The supersonic fleet is being taken out of service because of rising costs. The Concorde's last trans-Atlantic flight will be Oct. 24.

Good Morning America (I think, but it definitely wasn't NBC) had some bozo morning guy (I don't know his name, but he was bald) that was on the concorde with a camera crew before it departed... It was kind of disturbing watching this bonehead push around the cabin crew as they were trying to prepare the aircraft.

He pushes a flight attendant out of the way to make room for the camera, another flight attendant walks up with a plastic bag picking up trash in the cabin and the anchor stops and says, "in or out, one way or another" and then triumphantly walks through the cabin and plops down in a seat to describe the mach meter reads.

How embarassing as an American to watch his bozo push around a foreign flight crew like that.

wish i had seen that. it was quite a media frenzy there last night. several camera crews and the obligatory "bozo" newscasters. friends from my old job near dulles were gonna try to watch the departure. ill have to ask them if they saw it. what kinda of runway does that plane need? dont you have a machmeter in the md80 doug?

I believe that NBC (The Today Show) is giving away a seat on the last flight of the Concorde for some contest. Man would that be sweet....

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that NBC (The Today Show) is giving away a seat on the last flight of the Concorde for some contest. Man would that be sweet....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. They are auctioning it off and the bidding is up to around $25K, I believe.

Back