Compilation Of PUBNAT2 Offer Data

NO ONE is bashing the trainers at A80, we are saying it is too hard for an OTS applicant, with no previous ATC experience, to check out right off the bat. The trainees shouldn't be going there OTS...

NO OTS trainee, with no previous ATC experience, has EVER checked out at A80. Please re-read what has been typed many times before my post. Then rethink the way you think or read... :sitaware:

Well I think that attitude is going to have to change pretty quickly. It was only a year ago or maybe a little more that we could say that NO OTS trainee, withe no previous ATC experience, has EVER checked out ANYWHERE, wasn't it? So it's not really fair to say that one hasn't checked out at A80 specifically. Since the OTS thing is so new, I'd almost say that no OTS with no previous experience has even had the time to go through training and be able to check out anywhere in the country. If the FAA is going to be as short staffed as they say they are, they must be able to train people for every position that has a shortage. This will include A80 and ATL, and everywhere else in the country that's difficult.
This is my only point, I believe that they can train someone at A80 with no prior experience just as well as they can train someone in SAV with no prior experience.

Well I think that attitude is going to have to change pretty quickly. What attitude? It is a matter of fact that no OTS hire, with no air traffic experience has ever become fully certified at A80 according to released reports. It was only a year ago or maybe a little more that we could say that NO OTS trainee, withe no previous ATC experience, has EVER checked out ANYWHERE, wasn't it? Really? I am sure that OTS applicants were hired in the early 1980s after President Reagan fired a great number of controllers who went on strike. By the way, some OTS applicants from the past few years have already become fully certified at some facilities across the country, but NOT at A80 according to released reports that you can find on this website. So it's not really fair to say that one hasn't checked out at A80 specifically. It is fair because there are FAA and NATCA reports to back that statement up. Search this site for the article. Better yet, ask CJ, or Chris, or anyone who knows anything about A80...Since the OTS thing is so new, I'd almost say that no OTS with no previous experience has even had the time to go through training and be able to check out anywhere in the country. Again, the OTS thing isn't 'new' It has been around for many, many years but has only recently been brought back on a large scale because former military controllers, CTI, etc are not filling positions fast enough. If the FAA is going to be as short staffed as they say they are, they must be able to train people for every position that has a shortage. Well duh they need to train people for every position that has a shortage, but the FAA is wasting time and money to send an OTS hire, with no previous air traffic control experience, to somewhere like A80. It would help the FAA and the controller more to send them to an easier facility to let that controller get more experience before putting them somewhere like A80. Why do you think the FAA is offering HUGE 'bonuses' for qualified controllers to go somewhere like N90? Maybe the OTS hires, CTI hires, etc. are not cutting it...This will include A80 and ATL, and everywhere else in the country that's difficult.
This is my only point, I believe that they can train someone at A80 with no prior experience just as well as they can train someone in SAV with no prior experience. No they cannot. The complexity of those two facilities isn't even in the same league. Training someone OTS at SAV is easier than trying to train someone OTS at A80. It isn't the trainers who are at fault, it is the fact that some applicants have no reason to be at some of these facilities right off the bat. Heck, some people who are hired OTS, CTI, etc. may never be able to work efficiently at somewhere like A80. Going to ZTL is easier than A80 on a large scale. Why? There is more room for error at ZTL, there is more time to think at ZTL, the traffic isn't as complex compared to the area of the airspace, etc. Same thing when you compare SAV with ATL... roughly 300+ operations a day versus roughly 3,000+. Which one is easier to train an OTS applicant at?

The best thing to do is go to a center or smaller tower, gain experience and seniority, and then bid up when you become a good/great and experienced air traffic controller. You are setting yourself up for failure if you go to A80 as an OTS with no prior air traffic experience and that is a fact.

The best thing to do is go to a center or smaller tower, gain experience and seniority, and then bid up when you become a good/great and experienced air traffic controller. You are setting yourself up for failure if you go to A80 as an OTS with no prior air traffic experience and that is a fact.

I would make it at a80.. I am Gods Gift to the FAA.:sarcasm:

Well I think that attitude is going to have to change pretty quickly. It was only a year ago or maybe a little more that we could say that NO OTS trainee, withe no previous ATC experience, has EVER checked out ANYWHERE, wasn't it? So it's not really fair to say that one hasn't checked out at A80 specifically. Since the OTS thing is so new, I'd almost say that no OTS with no previous experience has even had the time to go through training and be able to check out anywhere in the country. If the FAA is going to be as short staffed as they say they are, they must be able to train people for every position that has a shortage. This will include A80 and ATL, and everywhere else in the country that's difficult.
This is my only point, I believe that they can train someone at A80 with no prior experience just as well as they can train someone in SAV with no prior experience.
I know a supervisor who was hired OTS back in the 80's I believe. So OTS have been hired before.

That was the exact advice I was given by one of the controllers up at CHA. I was told to stay far, far away from A80 as a trainee if I actually wanted to check out.

The same individual suggested to me to consider a center (which is where I am headed eventually) because they are designed to take someone with zero experience and turn them into a controller.

I know a supervisor who was hired OTS back in the 80's I believe. So OTS have been hired before.

He'd the exception rather than the rule. Not to mention that the traffic volumes and airspace around Atlanta has changed dramatically since then. Hartsfield likely still had 3 runways (9R/27L wasn't completed until 1984), LZU and RYY were both uncontrolled airports with little jet traffic, and PDK was probably still fairly busy but nowhere near the traffic it sees today.

In short, alot has changed that makes A80 much more difficult than it was 20 years ago. I sometimes struggle to get a word in just asking for flight following on the satelite airport frequency.

Back