Companies: New Mexico

The Lorax

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm about 4 months from being 23 and eligible to take my exams and be hired.

I am curious if anyone knows any type of companies in Santa Fe, NM that are regional airlines or do any type of flight tracking/planning.

Even anything in Albuquerque would be a good suggestion as it isn't too far from Santa Fe. I am looking for anything similar to dispatch or even dispatch that would be in the surrounding area.

Before I make the jump to New Mexico I want to have some ideas lined up and definitely some interviews.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm about 4 months from being 23 and eligible to take my exams and be hired.

I am curious if anyone knows any type of companies in Santa Fe, NM that are regional airlines or do any type of flight tracking/planning.

Even anything in Albuquerque would be a good suggestion as it isn't too far from Santa Fe. I am looking for anything similar to dispatch or even dispatch that would be in the surrounding area.

Before I make the jump to New Mexico I want to have some ideas lined up and definitely some interviews.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

The closest that I know of anything in that region would be Great Lakes in Cheyenne, WY. Their a 121 air carrier I would probably have a job for you. I sent them my resume and they called three days late to offer me a job without an interview.

I think there is a company that does flight planning for the DOE at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque. It used to be Ross Aviation but they lost the contract and I forget the name of the company doing it now. That's about it for NM flight planning jobs that I know of (and I'm from Albuquerque and kept my ear out for a while when I was trying to move somewhere closer to home than Wisconsin.)

I believe there is a 135 operator that hires dispatchers but I can't think of the name. Im sure the NBAA website would have a list of companies that fly acft.

I should add that dispatching isn't a job where you can get certified, move to a city, and look for a job in that field after you move...it's more of a career where you send out resumes, interview around, and move wherever the job happens to be. If you're not willing to move where you can get your first job at...at least for a while, to get some experience...this probably isn't the best career to go into. Otherwise you'll end up with an expensive license and no way to earn money with it.

There is a company out in ABQ-land that does flight planning for the DOE kiddies. They used to be (or maybe still are) a part of USAJet outta YIP. I think you need pass a TS background check w/SSBI AND SCI to get on with them, though. Don't quote me on that, but it was along those lines.

The BLM has some dispatcher type gigs out that way as well. Keep an eye on USAJobs for those.

There is a company out in ABQ-land that does flight planning for the DOE kiddies. They used to be (or maybe still are) a part of USAJet outta YIP. I think you need pass a TS background check w/SSBI AND SCI to get on with them, though. Don't quote me on that, but it was along those lines.

The BLM has some dispatcher type gigs out that way as well. Keep an eye on USAJobs for those.

I think you are right about USAJet being the new DOE contractor. Although the parent company is in YIP, all the DOE stuff is still done at Kirtland...I had a friend who worked there for a bit. Not sure on the clearance requirements but it wouldn't surprise me a bit considering the nature of the work. I interviewed with Ross, the company that had the DOE contract prior to USAJet, and I'm just as glad I didn't get on with them since they no longer exist. I've never heard of the BLM jobs but those might be a decent gig also. I know the US Forestry service has been hiring a lot in the Albuquerque area as welll; don't know if they have any dispatch-type jobs or not though.

IIRC, the BLM/Forestry Service jobs are mainly fire-dispatchers - aerial attack type stuff. Again, IIRC, almost all of the postings required some sort of background in wilderness firefighting.

Also, thanks for the clarification. I didn't mention that the DOE/USAJet stuff was based out of ABQ.

It may also be worth keeping an eye on AAAE.org and their career section. While not quite a/c dx'ing, airport ops jobs can pop up that at least get you in the 'neighborhood'.

Last idea is to keep a close eye on USAJobs as well as some of the larger DOD contractors (Boeing, L3, Lockheed Martin, etc...). The Air Force Peronnel Center posts quite a bit but mainly they develop rolls of qualified folks for future openings. The DOD contractors may not have aircraft dispatcher jobs, but they may also post jobs that are, again, in the 'neighborhood'.

Good luck and enjoy Sandia!

Another option, is that I know of at least a couple dispatchers who commute to work and have a crash pad at their base. You could always work where the jobs are and commute from Santa Fe!

Back