Commuting to Reserve

Piggybacking off of this:

I am a Guard guy making the jump to the Regional world. Living in FL, Silver seems like a great gig due to the fact of no commuting... but does turboprop time look bad in the eyes of a Legacy carrier vs having to commute to fly an RJ?

I am a Guard guy making the jump to the Regional world. Living in FL, Silver seems like a great gig due to the fact of no commuting... but does turboprop time look bad in the eyes of a Legacy carrier vs having to commute to fly an RJ?

If you can fly a turboprop, you can fly a jet. If you can fly a jet, you can fly a jet.

Seriously though, it’s more than skills of wiggling sticks. It helps with your overall ADM because, for instance, you can’t just blast up over/around weather.

Commuting really sucks, too.

If you can fly a turboprop, you can fly a jet. If you can fly a jet, you can fly a jet.

Seriously though, it’s more than skills of wiggling sticks. It helps with your overall ADM because, for instance, you can’t just blast up over/around weather.

Commuting really sucks, too.

Yeah that all makes sense. I was just curious if turboprop time made any difference. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't you flying a jet in the guard?

Turbine is turbine.
I'd rather hire a guy with turboprop time than a pointy-nose type, personally.

Somehow...I think you'll be alright.

I commuted reserve for almost 5 months. 2 1/2 hour flight, 1 time zone change forward, 11 flights a day to commute on, and I had about 48 hours at home a week.

It wasn't super bad for me for a few reasons:
1. I was new and excited
2. I didn't miss many flights or commutes. Only once went backwards to SFO then to ORD.
3. I don't have a family or gf at home so being away wasn't a big deal, especially since it wasn't ski season
4. I knew eventually with patience I wouldn't have to commute at all again.

For me it was really down to 4. After awhile it was a drag mentally and physically sometimes. I just stayed positive for #4 to come true. It eventually did, thankfully. I don't think I could do that long of a commute to a line or reserve, especially since I'm not commuting for family or anything. Just to live where I live. If I couldn't get back to where I was commuting from, I'd probably just move. It's a completely different lifestyle driving to work and commuting to work. I especially couldn't do it for my whole career. No way. Then again, some people have loved ones and can't move. It really depends on the situation. That's just my 2 cents.

Not all reserve commutes are the same either. 1, 2 hour leg, same timezone, 12 flights a day commute to an ok reserve system is very different than a 2 leg, 6 hour transcon that has only 3 flight options.

Also how long you are going to be stuck doing it (either the commute or reserve) matters.

I've had students that ended up flying there, and certainly share a lot of airspace with them. You'll probably learn more with that type of flying than you will anywhere else. Plus, tropical islands aren't the worst overnights. Just sayin'.

Depending on where you are in FL, Envoy might work too. If your military time qualifies towards an upgrade (up to 500 hrs of heavy multicrew if i remember right), you might be hireable as a "near entry captain". Training footprint about three months, then you get three months of positive space commute and unlimited hotels in LGA - MIA base should be attainable in that time frame. Late January hires got MIA on April bid and transferred June 1st. Just another datapoint for you.

Back