Commuting to Alaska

flyboy646

I'm trying to fill in a couple gaps on the homework I have done thus far on a handful of operators out in western Alaska and there are a few things here on JC that I have not been able to dig up.

I am mainly looking at commuting options for Grant Aviation and Ryan Air. I am sure if you are living in Anchorage it's no biggie but what about getting down anywhere in the lower 48? CASS/Jumpseat agreements with any of these guys?

It's my understanding that Grant normally runs a 20 on/10 off schedule for pilots in the bush but may be able to accommodate a 15/15 schedule. Is this still the case?

What about Ryan, do they also run the standard 20/10 or 15/15 rotation out in the bush as well?

Grant does 15/15 but will often allow you to work more if you want. They are not CASS but have jumpseat agreements with several airlines. Its possible to live in the lower 48 and work up here, but you miss out on so much cool stuff.

The only way I'd commute up to AK would be if I was based in some hellhole like Bethel, Nome, or Kotz. Any commute would be worth getting out of those places for your two weeks off. But really I think you'd be best off living in Anchorage...it is by all accounts a cool place.

Grant does 15/15 but will often allow you to work more if you want. They are not CASS but have jumpseat agreements with several airlines. Its possible to live in the lower 48 and work up here, but you miss out on so much cool stuff.

What is this "cool stuff" you speak of?

Ok, that's what I figured. I've spent some extended periods of time up there before and would sure like to spend some more of my free time up there. QOL is the bottom line (well, besides the real bottom line) so if my personal situation allows for it I would certainly relocate but for now one commute every couple weeks doesn't sound all too bad.

I had a 4 leg commute to Bethel... and to say it sucked would be an understatement. To include Nome and Kotz on the same suck scale as Bethel is also unfair. They all suck, but Emmo and Barrow and Bethel are wayyyyy worse than Nome and Kotz IMO:). You can commute it but for me it was a day up and 2 days back based on how the flights worked. Anchorage has a lot of cool things to do and I do miss it a little, but when I reflect back, the thing I miss the most in Anchorage is a massage parlor off of Tutor Rd hahaha;)

What is this "cool stuff" you speak of?

blizzards-train.jpg

Blizzard_1949_SnowWalls_sm.jpg

winter-storm-blizzard-verticle-car.jpg

blizzard.jpg

I think by "cool" he meant really, really cold

Ryan is a 20/10 schedule. There is some 15/15 schedules I think, but you lose some benefits. Not sure though.

Dont forget to mention the long, cold, dark, cold, dark, loooong winters associated with living in Alaska all year long bring that are oh so much fun. Yes commuting to lower 48 is very possible, lots of guys do it just remember it will always cost you at least 2-3 days of your days off commuting back & forth...... :biggrin:........

Back