Commercial checkride

Here is the answer to the question when asked on the FAA part 61 FAQ page.

QUESTION -6. Must the solo X/C described in 61.129(a)(4) be as "sole occupant" as defined in
61.51(d) --i.e., alone in the aircraft? Suppose a person did a X/C trip as a PVT that fulfills the rule in
every other respect, except s/he was carrying non-pilot passengers --his/her children, for example.
Wasn't that pilot "alone" for all practical purposes (decision-making, flight planning and execution, etc.).
Mightn't it be argued that such experience is actually MORE valuable than being physically alone in the
airplane, since it adds to the mix elements of responsibility and pressure --and the implied the ability
to manage those factors-- that wouldn't otherwise be there?

ANSWER-6:[§61.129(a)(4) It says "SOLO" and we intended it to be "SOLO." So if a person has his
or her grandmother, brothers, aunts, or uncles on board, he was not solo. IT HAS TO BE DONE SOLO

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that by the definition of solo I can take someone flying with me when I'm a student pilot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suuuure... Go for it!
grin.gif

I'm not going to beat this dead horse anymore... I just find it unbelievable that so many qualified people can have such a difference of opinion on the issue...

I called and spoke to someone in the legal department at AOPA today after reading this thread because I have the same situation having thought my long XC was covered.

I got a very clear answer from AOPA:
"Solo time is that time when you are the sole occupant of the aircraft."

"solo" means sole occupant in the aircraft. So my dog doesn't count, but your wife does. PM me and I'll tell you my real opinion on this.

[ QUOTE ]
PM me and I'll tell you my real opinion on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mrivc...

Just share your thoughts right here...

Well, it's all a mute point now....i did my LONG x country with no other occupants but the micro organisms on my skin last night. THe entire thing took me 4.1 which isn't bad. Now I have my checkride at 11:00!!!! Hope I'm not too tired..wish me luck!!!

Well, not so fast on the AOPA definition. You spoke with ONE PERSON at AOPA and go ONE OPINION of how THAT PERSON interpreted the rule.

I spoke with another AOPA attorney who said that the rule is vague and should NOT be interpreted to mean "alone" or "sole occupant" as that person is exercising the rights and privileges of their Private Pilots Certificate.

Then, about an hour later, my CFI said that the rule meant "alone" and "sole occupant".

Bottom line: Before your checkride (and before you fly the cross country), find out how your DE is going to interpret the rule and follow those guidelines.

My examiner just called and had to cancel our checkride because his foot is in a cast.....isn't life beautiful!!!!
Ahhh, fun and games.

[ QUOTE ]
My examiner just called and had to cancel our checkride because his foot is in a cast.....isn't life beautiful!!!!
Ahhh, fun and games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geeez!! You have worse luck than I do!
grin.gif

That's unbelievable...

I PASSED, I PASSED!!!!!!!!!
AFter having my examiner cancel on me I called everyone in the book and got a hold of a guy who
is a test pilot and examiner at Cessna!! Anyway, the oral went great, about an hour and a half.
The flying, I had to do steep turns, chandell, lazy eight, power on/off stall, steep spiral, eights on
pylons, soft field landing, power off landing, and normal landing!! It all went effortlessly and the
examiner said the maneuvers were some of the best he's seen!!! Now it's all bookwork for my CFI!!!

Ryan that's awesome!!
grin.gif

I'm so glad to hear it all went well!

Give me a ring tonight if you get a chance...

Glad to hear it went well. I'm going to be going through the same ride here in a few months. I feel your pain on the CFI bookwork, I'm going to start that stuff soon.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Drummin,

Are you taking your ride in Tulsa? If so, are you planning on going with Nan Gaylord, or Dave Wilkerson?

Yep, I'm taking it over there, but I'm taking it with Jen Weiss (I think thats the right last name?) She does the multi rides too, so I'll be familiar with her for that after the commercial, if and/or when the RG comes back up.
frown.gif
lol

Oh, ok...

I've heard her name tossed around a bit, but I haven't ever met her. Hopefully the RG will be back on-line before long...

Have you been flying with David Koehn? He is my simulator instructor at the moment... Nice guy...

Good luck on the checkride!
smile.gif

Yeah, she's really, really nice. I don't know if she does IFR rides, but if she does, I would recommend going with her, so that way she'll know you on your Commercial and Multi rides. She's also a Captn. for Southwest, she does rides on her days off. Great contact there. I hope the RG is back up quicker than it was last time. I only flew once last week so Bill (the night desk guy) could have it for his CFI ride before it went down for 100hr. I never got to fly with David, had to cancel twice cause of weather, then Mike B got back and I finished knocking out the .9 left for insurance checkout. Hows the sim training going? Where is the sim at?

Back