Color Vision Testing

I understand it is not approved, but realistically is there a serious difference between the flashlight and the lantern? Or is it very likely that if I pass the flashlight then I'll pass the lantern?

I'm looking to pass this test for the Navy and I've had alot of trouble finding a place to take it within a reasonable driving distance.

The difference is that the Lantern is A LOT older and that the bulb is closer to the bottom light so the bottom light is brighter, Lanterns are few and far between.

The difference is that the Lantern is A LOT older and that the bulb is closer to the bottom light so the bottom light is brighter, Lanterns are few and far between.

Have you actually seen a comparison between them?

I ask because the lower light on the flashlight is also brighter due to the filters used. The brightness between each set of lights seems to vary in a similar way to what I remember from the real lantern. It seems like they did a decent job designing it to mimmick the actual lantern. This thread (http://forums.jetcareers.com/ask-flight-surgeon/51318-farnsworth-lantern-flashlight.html) makes the flashlight seem fairly legitimate.

I'll never know until I take a test on the real lantern, but I'd just like to get as much info as possible before I buy an expensive plane ticket to go test on the actual lantern.

Have you actually seen a comparison between them?

I ask because the lower light on the flashlight is also brighter due to the filters used. The brightness between each set of lights seems to vary in a similar way to what I remember from the real lantern. It seems like they did a decent job designing it to mimmick the actual lantern. This thread (http://forums.jetcareers.com/ask-flight-surgeon/51318-farnsworth-lantern-flashlight.html) makes the flashlight seem fairly legitimate.

I'll never know until I take a test on the real lantern, but I'd just like to get as much info as possible before I buy an expensive plane ticket to go test on the actual lantern.

Actually we have the Lantern the Flashlight and The Optec 900 in our office and YES there is a difference, even if its not a GREAT BIG difference. We do not use the Flashlight any more since it is not acceptable. But there is even a slight difference between the Lantern and the Optec 900.

Just to let you know I work with the Good Doc :)

Actually we have the Lantern the Flashlight and The Optec 900 in our office and YES there is a difference, even if its not a GREAT BIG difference. We do not use the Flashlight any more since it is not acceptable. But there is even a slight difference between the Lantern and the Optec 900.

Just to let you know I work with the Good Doc :)

Thanks, it's good to know that there is a difference. Ever seen someone who passed the flashlight but not the lantern? Is one generally easier to pass than the other?

Any idea how I could find a FALANT in my area to get tested with? (Del Rio, TX)

Thanks, it's good to know that there is a difference. Ever seen someone who passed the flashlight but not the lantern? Is one generally easier to pass than the other?

Any idea how I could find a FALANT in my area to get tested with? (Del Rio, TX)

Try any of the University hospitals ophthalmology departments. I had to go down to the Ohio State medical center to find one.

Is the Farnsworth lantern typically tested monocularly? My flashlight test seems drastically more difficult with one eye (doesn't mater which eye) than it is when I use both eyes.

Awesome, could you give me contact info for these?

I only have the Galveston contact (as that is the one I chose for my student). I must say everyone was very professional and it was a great experience. Very quick with no wait at all. Good Luck!

Donna L. Hamilton, RN, COHN
Nurse Coordinator
Employee Health//Aviation Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
UHC, 6th. Floor, Rm. 6.506
Galveston, TX. 77555-1161
Ph: (409) 747-9172
Fax: (409) 747-9182

So if I fail the color blind test during the AME test and my medical is marked 'NOT VALID FOR FLIGHT DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS BY COLOR SIGNAL CONTROL' can I find one of the alternative test at any local eye doctor and take the test with them, or do I have to find an AME to administer one of the alternative test? Thanks!

You can send the information to the FAA and they will issue an unrestricted medical or you can take it to an AME and get another medical done without restrictions. If it has been less than 90 days since the last medical, the AME will have to call OKC to get approval to issue though.

I was told this June we would see new color vision restrictions, giving about 35% of mildly color deficient people the ability to pass color tests.
Any word of validity of this rumor ?

Certainly some people with color deficiencies already have unrestricted medicals; I am one... I've always passes the PIPs but the USAF disqualified me based on anomaloscope results. The rumors come from the CAA/FAA research I've heard of; it's based on a new computer based test called the CAD and , correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's already being used in Europe for pilot qualification.

From what I understand from comments made by the Federal Air Surgeon at the Aerospace Medical Association meeting last month, it is nowhere near being used in the US. It is still under study.

The issue with this test will be the equipment. There will have to be standards for the computer monitors and I suspect they will be expensive. Most AME's will not spend big $$ on an expensive computer monitor. In Europe, the exams are given by government employed AME's and the government provides the equipment. They also have fewer pilots and fewer examination sites. The US has 3900+ AME's.

Will taking and passing a Farnsworth Lantern color vision test allow me to be issued a Letter of Evidence (LOE) for all future First Class medicals, or is it only valid for the current medical being obtained?
Meaning, will it be necessary to take a FALANT test every time I need a First Class medical?

Or will I need to take the OCVT and MFT to be issued a LOE for all future First Class medicals?

Dr. Forred,
I live in Pensacola, Fl. I am trying to find a place that has the FALANT. I can also pass the AOC 1965 with approximately 4 errors which I believe I am allotted up to 6 errors, if I am not mistaken. I would like to see you as I see you truly care about alleviating these issues within FAA guidelines. However, that is a long flight if someone here has the equipment. I would assume since I am in the "Cradle of Naval Aviation", someone would have a FALANT in a closet collecting dust somewhere nearby. I am a Police Officer and obviously have never had a color vision issue unless presented the ishiara like most folks. When I got a third class back in 2004 the AME just had me look at the color bars on an eye chart and said I was good to go. It wasn't until I took my exam for being a Police Officer in 2007 that I realized this was going to be an issue. Thank god they just started to pick different color folders and I told them what color it was so I was passed. 5 years and several traffic stops/arrests later, no color vision issues. I know that does not alleviate the FAA's concerns so, I want to do this correctly without having restrictions placed on my medical. Thanks!

A few questions for Dr. Forred.
I'v already failed the Farnsworth Lantern test and received the "Night Restriction" for 3rd Class.

1. Am I now able to retake any of the "Section A" test over again and get the restriction removed (without the OCVT)?
I've read the FAA guidelines but it only states that Section A is not for removing restriction AFTER OCVT is failed.

2. Can I purchase a plate test and take it to an AME? And will they actually use that test?

3. Can a regular eye doctor pass me? (and then I just send the paperwork to the FAA)

Thank you in advance. These post have been a huge help.

Back