Color Vision Testing

I don't know if this helps its out of the prior post Dr. Forred put on here

Important note: If you fail the daytime signal light test, you will not be eligible for either first or second class medical certification, may not be issued a letter of evidence, and may not have the limitation modified or removed.

Hey guys,

I'm posting this guy I know. No BS, it's actually a guy I know.

I failed the the color plate test (something about a minor red green deficiency) and I'd like to know if the Signal Lamp Test is the same as the aviation light gun, and if it's an acceptable method of alternative testing for the FAA?

Thanks

Good Afternoon,
I'm in a tight spot and could use some guidance. I've held an unrestricted class I medical since 2005. I successfully passed the Farnsworth D-15 plates and FALANT alternate color vision tests in 2003 and 2005 respectively and all my AME's have honored those results during my annual physical (I had no idea I could have requested a LOE from the FAA based on those results.

I'm well versed in the color vision rule change and have been scrambling to pass an alternate color vision test. I've tried several times (at several different locations) to nail the FALANT and I'm coming up just short everytime. Color vision shouldn't change as it's genetic but my eye doc says my eyes are healthy, 20/20, and doesn't have an answer as to why I could pass the FALANT before, and not now.

So, at this point I'm looking at the Keystone Telebinocular test as a last resort alternate color vision test attempt before contacting the FAA for authorization to see my local FSDO for the OCVT and MFT...which have absolute and lasting implications on my current employment if I fail as you all know.

So, anyone out there able to connect the FALANT to the Keystone? I have no idea if the Keystone is considered 'harder' or 'easier' to pass then the FALANT -- shoot, I don't even know if I'll be looking for numbers or lights or what with the Keystone.

Thank you, sincerely, for your thoughts and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Mongoose

The Keystone is more like the Ishihara plate test. The OPTEC-900 is similar to the FALANT but some guys think it is easier to pass. We have all 3 in the office and do see a little test to test variation amongst the tests.

Mongoose, do you now have a restriction on your medical certificate?

I have had almost the same exact issue that you are having except that all previous medical exams I had done I got through the Ishihara plate test, barely got through them but this last test I didn't. So I now have the restriction and I am considering the trip from Chicago to Phoenix to see Dr. Forred to get that nasty thing off of my Medical Certificate.

Iceman -
Good to hear from you and thanks for checking in. My current class I is good for a few more months and I am totally unrestricted.

Flight Surgeon - thank you for the prompt reply sir. I'm in agreement with Iceman that a trip to your office so I can be run through the color vision gauntlet is an option that I am considering. Could you PM me with the cost of taking the Keystone and OPTEC-900 please?

Thanks,
Mongoose

Hey guys, I've tried researching all over, but does anyone know of a place that uses the FALANT test in Central Florida or Central Virginia?

Hey guys, I've tried researching all over, but does anyone know of a place that uses the FALANT test in Central Florida or Central Virginia?
Shaban, Did you find a FALANT location in Central Florida? I am looking for the same thing and cannot locate one.

Shaban, Did you find a FALANT location in Central Florida? I am looking for the same thing and cannot locate one.

No sir, I ended up driving down to Davie, Fl and took it at NOVA University. $100 and passed on my first try. They were also really helpful there so I would definitely recommend them.

But I got a question myself, now that I passed the FALANT, what do I do to remove the restriction on my medical license?

Does anyone know of an online version of the Dvorine PIPs? If not, what's the cheapest place to buy the book?

Long story, but I was DQed from USAF pilot training even though I can pass Ishihara PIP with 12/14. I'm planning a transfer to the Navy which requires only passing the PIP I 12/14 or a Falant lantern.

I assume PIP I means either Ishihara or Dvorine, but I don't know which one it will be.

Dvorine books cost $450.

We do Farnsworth lanterns for the Coast Guard and the results seem to work for the guys. We report the results on the standard military form.

Dvorine books cost $450.

We do Farnsworth lanterns for the Coast Guard and the results seem to work for the guys. We report the results on the standard military form.

I've seen $500, do you have a link to the $450? Of course I'd prefer an online version, but from what I can tell one doesn't exist.

I already know I can pass the Falant and the Ishihara with 12/14 but I don't want to take any chances. I was hosed by the USAF testing after already passing my Flying Class I and moving to the pilot training base to start training and I don't want to suffer a similar fate with the Navy.

I had a quick question about the falant or optec 900 test. I'm not trying to be a pilot, i'm in the process of going thru aircrew school, but i recently failed the falant test during my full flight physical. The surprise was, i have had several physicals, including two flight physicals where this test was no problem, this is actually the first time i've failed it. I know there is a slight deficiancy there, but i didnt think it was to a degree i'd ever fail this test. They might be giving me a second chance, and i wanted to make sure im not doing anything i shouldnt be doing before the test, or doing absolutely everything possible to ensure my color perception was at its best. I felt tired during my physical here at nami, we had to fast for 12 hours, and we had the regular eye exam before the color test so i had lights shined in my eyes a few times also. I know i should be hydrated as well as possible, stay away from alcohol, ect, but anything else i can be doing? I know its a pass fail, and pilots shouldnt be playing around to squeeze by this test, but i'm fighting for my career here just so i can ride in the back and load cargo, it took 5 years in the navy to even get to this point and i cant lose this opportunity.. Thanks for the help..

Good Afternoon,
I'm happy to report what might be considered an 'outlier' statistic. I have always held an unrestricted class I medical for my flying career and up until this year have relied on my passing FALANT test score in 2005 to qualify the color vision requirements for my FAA medical.

As you know, the requirement for color vision has changed (i.e. my AME needs to see a passing FALANT / alternate color vision test from the current year) and despite many attempts at the FALANT, AOC, Dvorine, Keystone, etc I was coming up just short of the passing mark.

So, I made the decision to contact the FAA, obtain a Letter of Authorization for the OCVT (occupational color vision test) and MFT (medical flight test) as I am looking to retain my class 1 medical.

I'll compose a complete description of my experience of the OCVT that I just took in California but the good news is that I passed. Bottom line is that do not count yourself down and out if your only lifeline left is the OCVT - despite my failing previous tests, I nailed it.

I'm not out of the woods yet, as I still need to compete the MFT, but I know I can nail the lights that I need to see from the sky. Hang in there, and if you want to read up I'll be posting under general discussion in a few minutes.

Mongoose

Does anyone have any information regarding the farnsworth lantern flashlight? I have failed a farnsworth lantern in the past but I recently purchased one of the flashlights and wanted to know how it actually compares to the real test. A few of the lights tricked me at first, but now that I know what I'm looking for (amber instead of white and am prepared for some of the very dark lights) I seem to have no problems passing it at all.

http://www.guldenophthalmics.com/cc...ns=prodshow&ref=Farnsworth_Lantern_Flashlight

The Farnsworth flashlight is not an approved alternative but the Farnsworth Lantern is.

I understand it is not approved, but realistically is there a serious difference between the flashlight and the lantern? Or is it very likely that if I pass the flashlight then I'll pass the lantern?

I'm looking to pass this test for the Navy and I've had alot of trouble finding a place to take it within a reasonable driving distance.

Back