Collision Marion Municipal Airport, Grant County, IND

WOAH! What a dramatic sight. Assuming the Citation was still rolling thru the intersection at the time of the collision, looks like they were able to stop very quickly. How sad, I wonder if they even saw it coming. :(

This is NOT an intersection collision, The CJ is stopped BEFORE the intersection in the direction of travel. Another report I read said that the 150 was taking off behind the CJ and didn't clear the tail.

This is NOT an intersection collision, The CJ is stopped BEFORE the intersection in the direction of travel. Another report I read said that the 150 was taking off behind the CJ and didn't clear the tail.

Per the witness the citation had "just landed on the other runway"

Per the witness the citation had "just landed on the other runway"

And the citation is stopped about 100' PRIOR to the intersecting runway...

So the 150 would have had to take off the intersecting runway, rotated, and offset centerline towards the citation, then hit it. In which case the 150 would be behind the citation not in front of it.

What's the landing distance for a C525? It's a 6000' rwy with the intersection roughly in the middle. Clearly the Citation full stopped right after getting hit (unless he taxied back after, which I would guess is unlikely) Could it be going that slow after 3000ish feet?

Landing distance is going to be around 2500' They would be going slow by then for sure, I'd be willing to bet they are trying to make the right turn off past the intersecting runway.

I still think the CJ was spun around by the impact. No way it's hit hard enough to rip the tail off without moving.

And the citation is stopped about 100' PRIOR to the intersecting runway...

So the 150 would have had to take off the intersecting runway, rotated, and offset centerline towards the citation, then hit it. In which case the 150 would be behind the citation not in front of it.

There is speculation that the Citation was rotated 180 degrees from the collision, based on skid marks, so they would end up facing BACK

There is speculation that the Citation was rotated 180 degrees from the collision, based on skid marks, so they would end up facing BACK

Based on where the slice is if the 150 hit him from behind he would have had to be UNDER the 525 when he lifted off. I'm wondering if he saw him coming, pulled back early and turned to go behind thinking the 525 would keep rolling, the 525 stopped short seeing the 150, and the right wing, lowered wing from the bank hit the 525. Pure speculation on my part of course.

Ok, maybe, but to do a 180, then have the plane roll backwards and still end up a few feet off centerline. That also means the Tail of the plane would have had to travel much further post impact.

He’s a jackass? He didn’t have to...
Yes. He is. I know technicalities and all but “I looked at the TCAS” is not an acceptable excuse. Fat fingering the frequency, or dialing it in and forgetting to swap over, is an honest mistake. “I don’t recall making a call but I did look at the TCAS” is lazy at best and incompetent at worst.

Edit: I’m gonna go ahead and guess that if Avis Industrial has any sort of SOPs or manuals, they say that thou shalt make standard radio calls at untowered airports.

Last edited:
The Citation was from Avis. I hope they got the supplemental insurance!

But really... just because the AIM is advisory doesn't make this pilot any less of a jackass for not making some traffic calls.

Back