Colgan staffing issues

The class was only meant to be 3. I'm thinking they are just going to transition beech guys instead. Seggy is right, they want to be lean when the cuts come.

-Rob

I thought about it right after I asked the question and figured it out. That makes sense.

They canceled an upgrade class next month because of the open time.

Guys, they really are trying to run the airline on thin staffing margins to prevent furloughs come the fall. I'm happy that management is being proactive in this and think that they are doing a real good job with the stack of cards we have all been dealt in this industry. I think we need to understand this, do what they ask us to, and hopefully we won't see anyone on here out on the street.

Well said Mark.

This morning all of us showed up to the school house. Last night they overnighted 3 or 4 guys to show up today for upgrade. All of them where sent packing this morning. Upgrades canceled. They also canceled a Q class and a beech class.

-Rob

Dang, I know at least one of those guys that went down to the schoolhouse for upgrade.......guess he'll be back on the line next month. Wonder how that's going to work out, since the July awards are out and now they're gonna be left scrambling for flying. :(

Check that.....I just saw greaper's post....guess that means I knew at least two guys that got hosed.

Hopefully with the next class coming through it helps things, but we'll see. I flew last night with a guy IAD that was pulled from his houston base to pick up open time. You don't see that often.

He was in Ithaca the day before.

Am I the only SAAB FO that is moderately burnt out? Oh well- roll with the punches.

He was in Ithaca the day before.

Am I the only SAAB FO that is moderately burnt out? Oh well- roll with the punches.

Thats right he did say he was up there.

Too bad he didn't get to do the Hyannis run and meet HEFFER, the famous ramper that doesn't let me take pictures of my own airplane!

Just got info that FOs can transition between the fleets but after a 12 month seatlock. The exception to the rule is Beech or Saab FOs who want the Q, they have a 10 month seat lock.

Just got info that FOs can transition between the fleets but after a 12 month seatlock. The exception to the rule is Beech or Saab FOs who want the Q, they have a 10 month seat lock.

That's good news for you. I know you've mentioned you wanted the Saab.

Why do you want to come to the SAAB?

It's days are numbered and like every other airline, movement is non-existant.

Now, I'm only a few numbers senior to you at #325, so it won't hurt me if you come, but I'm doing this for your own good.

Why do you want to come to the SAAB?

It's days are numbered and like every other airline, movement is non-existant.

Now, I'm only a few numbers senior to you at #325, so it won't hurt me if you come, but I'm doing this for your own good.

He lives in a base that the Saab flys out of. QOL is what its all about...

-Rob

Robs got it. IF (there is always an if) we keep MHT and PVD as Saab bases then MHT is 30 minutes north and PVD would be an hour and 15 south. When I applied I was looking for the Saab but was offered the Q.

I picked the Q because I figured even if I could get the Saab I know that MHT and PVD are senior so I figured it would be much easier to commute to EWR than it would be to commute to Johnstown or wherever else we have Saab bases.

I really do not mind the Q at all and the commute to EWR could be worse (could be better) and my seniority in my seat has helped me get my top 2 choices every month but I suspect that will change since 7 have transitioned over and I believe there are 7 more coming. Still not to bad, it will put me at around number 18 or 19 I think out of the 60 or so that will be at EWR. If I could get an opening in the Saab and work my way into MHT I would not care if I had a reserve line or the worst line they have because even with only 10 days off I would still have no commute and would be in my bed everynight.

My big picture is that I am working on a few connections to get into a corporate gig or a 135 on demand type deal but we all know more than ever now that we should get real comfortable in the seats we are in and the companies we work for so I might as well get myself a seat close to home if possible. Who knows, if there is ever movement again I may be able to upgrade into the Saab instead of the Q or if we get more Qs I would be in a decent position to upgrade into that as well but that is a huge IF.

As Rob said, its not about equipment or seat for me, Id fly a cessna 150 up and down the coast if it paid well and gave my wife and I a good QOL.

I would miss 2 of them, you included.

After having done the military you have friends that constantly come and go and then you go and come back or dont come back so I have become very efficient at simply saying "see ya later" to a friend that I may have had for years not knowing if we will cross paths again. Part of the job.

USMC_SGT,
Keep this in mind before you transfer to the SAAB.

The most junior FO at MHT is a couple numbers senior to me and he is straight reserve. All signs so far point to PVD closing.

I don't know if you know how good you have it on a nice, new, clean, airplane that the company cares about. You think the Q is unorganized....just wait.

Lots of MHT FO's put off upgrade untill they can hold it again as a CA. MHT is the hardest base to get in the 9L system. I think on average there is like 1 new crewmember in MHT a year. Seems like most DW grads at colgan want MHT

Heard a strange rumor today that an ex colgan pilot at Gemini was offered a "Summer" position with the knolwedge that he/she would be furloughed this fall. (SAAB)

Fodder that as you will. Losing the UAL flying if/when they close doors, will hurt at first.

My Understanding from the Memo, is that a Legal move is only one which represents a move 'UP'. Beech FO may bid FO in SAAB or Q, as well as any CA slots. SAAB Fo may bid Q FO. Q FO Can't go 'up', so no movement except in the case of base closing or emergency need, a Q fo can only move to a diffrent aircraft with an upgrade. You may upgrade into any aircraft you like though, from any FO position.

Lots of MHT FO's put off upgrade untill they can hold it again as a CA. MHT is the hardest base to get in the 9L system. I think on average there is like 1 new crewmember in MHT a year. Seems like most DW grads at colgan want MHT

Heard a strange rumor today that an ex colgan pilot at Gemini was offered a "Summer" position with the knolwedge that he/she would be furloughed this fall. (SAAB)

Fodder that as you will. Losing the UAL flying if/when they close doors, will hurt at first.

In my new hire class first spot on the lists are pretty much as follows: MHT, PVD, PQI, IAH x 3, IAD, LGA.

I put IAD.

Is the Gemini pilot DS or JW??

-Rob

My Understanding from the Memo, is that a Legal move is only one which represents a move 'UP'. Beech FO may bid FO in SAAB or Q, as well as any CA slots. SAAB Fo may bid Q FO. Q FO Can't go 'up', so no movement except in the case of base closing or emergency need, a Q fo can only move to a diffrent aircraft with an upgrade. You may upgrade into any aircraft you like though, from any FO position.

IMO, that's BS right there. If the company considers the Q FO the top of the FOs and Saab FO better than 1900 FO, they should have different pay rates. Since they don't, then they should be considered about equal, thus not restricting moving back and forth between the three for QoL, commuting, whatever the hell the pilot wants to do issues. Restricting guys and saying they can't move "down" to a position that is essentially the same job and even pays the same is just covering for lack of management planning. It would be like our management saying you couldn't go from the -900 to the -200 b/c the -900 is a step "up." Reality is there's a seat lock, but it's b/c the -900 is treated as a different equipment type per the contract, not b/c it's considered by the powers that be a step up.

More than likely, management just doesn't wanna pony up the $$$ for differences training AND replace an FO on the Q.....

IMO, that's BS right there. If the company considers the Q FO the top of the FOs and Saab FO better than 1900 FO, they should have different pay rates. Since they don't, then they should be considered about equal, thus not restricting moving back and forth between the three for QoL, commuting, whatever the hell the pilot wants to do issues. Restricting guys and saying they can't move "down" to a position that is essentially the same job and even pays the same is just covering for lack of management planning. It would be like our management saying you couldn't go from the -900 to the -200 b/c the -900 is a step "up." Reality is there's a seat lock, but it's b/c the -900 is treated as a different equipment type per the contract, not b/c it's considered by the powers that be a step up.

More than likely, management just doesn't wanna pony up the $$$ for differences training AND replace an FO on the Q.....

I have bolded our problem

-Rob

Back