Colgan PDC Issues

Seggy

For the Colganites out there, BE CAREFUL with our new PDC clearances. Out of BWI the other day I had two PDC routes sent to me. Thankfully, we caught it on the ground, I let those above me in the food chain know and they are working on it, but wanted to give everyone else the heads up.

For the Colganites out there, BE CAREFUL with our new PDC clearances. Out of BWI the other day I had two PDC routes sent to me. Thankfully, we caught it on the ground, I let those above me in the food chain know and they are working on it, but wanted to give everyone else the heads up.

What's a PDC? :D

You had two separate PDCs sent to you? Or was it one PDC with two routes? What did it look like?

I know sometimes when the agent comes down and hands us a paper PDC, I always check to make sure it's the current date/flight. I've had all sorts of papers handed to me only to realize that it wasn't my flight.

It was one PDC with two clearances. One was in a - sign, the other was our filed flight plan.

One was in a - sign, the other was our filed flight plan.
That usually indicates a change or ammendment to the original filed plan. The Flight plan inside the "-" sign shows the corrected changes/ammendment to the original one.

ie:

- HARAY SPA J14 ATL VUZ -
CLT HARAY ODF VUZ J52 DFW
J4 ABI J66 EWM J4 ./. SAN
SQK 2021 ALT 310

You would replace HARAY ODF VUZ with - HARAY SPA J14 ATL VUZ - Thus, you would actually fly:

CLT HARAY SPA J14 ATL J52 DFW
J4 ABI J66 EWM J4 ./. SAN
SQK 2021 ALT 310

Don't know if it was an issue like that or not... but that's the way ours works.

Bob

What Bob said. When I was asking you Seggy, I had that in mind. If you're new to PDCs, then the dashes "- ALB BTV- etc are the changes to what you had filed. Just drop that into your filed plan which they should also include.

Thanks for the help guys...

Yep, that is what clearance said when I queried them about it. The thing is our company sent out NO memo concerning this, so until I hear it from them in writing on what is right and wrong, I am not going to take any chances.

Thank you once again guys. Happy Turkey Day!

ROUTE -ELIOT J80 KIPPI-
KEWR ELIOT J80 AIR J110*VHP VLA6 KSTL
NEWARK SEVEN DEPARTURE*EXPECT REQ ALT 10 MIN AFTER TAKE-OFF
DEPARTURE FREQUENCY 119.2*
CONTACT FLOW 132.45 READY FOR PUSHBACK
If you got a PDC like this one, which route would you enter?

This is the old route:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.AIR.J110.VHP.VLA6

Route A:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.KIPPI.J110.VHP.VLA6

Route B:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.KIPPI..AIR.J110.VHP.VLA6

In this case, both routes are on the same path, but I'm just wondering if you are supposed to delete Bellaire (although it's one of the fixes on J110 between between KIPPI and Brickyard anyway) or if it means that they want you to go strait to Bellaire after KIPPI (even though J110 pretty much does that anyway).

If you entered Route B and and were given direct LARRI, VINSE, or LEJOY, then it woud get fun! If you need a map, look at the NACO H-10 on SkyVector.com.

Nah... these examples (PDC's) come @ 20 minutes prior to push.

20 min? hmmm i wonder if that is why we couldn't pick up our clearance through PDC the other day. Is that just for your company or is that standard. I thought we would get it 30 prior...I'm still learning like Seggy.

20 min? hmmm i wonder if that is why we couldn't pick up our clearance through PDC the other day. Is that just for your company or is that standard. I thought we would get it 30 prior...I'm still learning like Seggy.

30 prior here. If you send the request via ACARS, it'll come back and say something like "PDC not recieved" and tell you when to check back. Most of the time, it'll magically SELCAL it's way in before that time, though.

Route B would be direct AIR from Kippi.

That's how I'd enter it, but some of these are still clear as mud.

I am under the impression we get the PDC when the guy in the tower sends it 20-30 prior or so. Sometimes it takes the fun out, I like the airports where you get the PDC old school over the radio.

Mike

Maybe a stupid question, but would someone please clarify for me since I'm new to this high tech stuff...

After receiving a PDC, is there any need to call clearance delivery on the radio and let them know you have it and verify your squawk, or do you just call ground to taxi? I've heard it done both ways.

Alright, you've gone totally soft on me Seggy. An autopilot, FMS, AND PDC???

Maybe a stupid question, but would someone please clarify for me since I'm new to this high tech stuff...

After receiving a PDC, is there any need to call clearance delivery on the radio and let them know you have it and verify your squawk, or do you just call ground to taxi? I've heard it done both ways.

That depends on the airport, usually if you can see "CPT" next to the clearance frequency on your airport diagram (which means clearance prior to taxi) you should contact clearance confirming the departure and your squawk.

Back