Colgan PDC Issues

Maybe a stupid question, but would someone please clarify for me since I'm new to this high tech stuff...

After receiving a PDC, is there any need to call clearance delivery on the radio and let them know you have it and verify your squawk, or do you just call ground to taxi? I've heard it done both ways.
If you have received a PDC then there is no need to contact Clearance or Ground to verify it... unless it specifically says to do so on the PDC.

For example: You may see "CONTACT CLNC NOW WITH SQK CODE"

That allows them to quickly determine that you have the proper clearance without mucking up the freq.

BTW, what does PDC stand for?
Pre-Departure Clearance

If you have received a PDC then there is no need to contact Clearance or Ground to verify it... unless it specifically says to do so on the PDC.

For example: You may see "CONTACT CLNC NOW WITH SQK CODE"

That allows them to quickly determine that you have the proper clearance without mucking up the freq.

Pre-Departure Clearance

I always wondered why people chime in with destination and squawk without receiving a clearance. I guess they did receive a clearance ;D

If you got a PDC like this one, which route would you enter?

This is the old route:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.AIR.J110.VHP.VLA6

Route A:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.KIPPI.J110.VHP.VLA6

Route B:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.KIPPI..AIR.J110.VHP.VLA6

If I got that clearance, - ELIOT J80 KIPPI -, I would put this in the FMS:

ELIOT
J80.AIR
J110.VHP
Nav - arrival - VLA6 etc.

This is correct. KIPPI is the end of ZNY's airspace, so they're just clarifying for themselves where you leave. Remember, the amended portion will intersect back with your original flight plan - in this case, it's at KIPPI. If they wanted KIPPI D-> AIR it would have read - ELIOT J80 KIPPI AIR -.

I know it's weird to have a 'change' when it's the same route you've filed, but I'm sure it has to do with center computers. Kind of like Detroit and the ERRTH departure, how it's always spelled out in the PDC going back to Newark.

BTW, EWR-LAX has the simplest route... EWR ELIOT J80 HEC CIVET LAX. Or RIIVR or whatever it is they're using these days. 2000 miles by entering two waypoints!

FF

Or in canada you'll get the "Contact Clearance Now with Code 843P*. You want to sound like you know what you're doing? Don't say "star" at the end, that's just part of the code that comes out on the PDC ;-)

LGA requires a PDC Read-back of your Departure, Climb and Squawk code.

For example, it would be, "Clearance, Jetlink XXXX. PDC Read-back."

"Go ahead."

"LaGuardia 9 (or whatever number it is now), Whitestone Climb, Squawking 7224."

If you got a PDC like this one, which route would you enter?

This is the old route:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.AIR.J110.VHP.VLA6

Route A:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.KIPPI.J110.VHP.VLA6

Route B:
EWR7.ELIOT.J80.KIPPI..AIR.J110.VHP.VLA6

you need to remember that at the end of the - ELIOT J80 KIPPI - in the pdc its as if the controller gave you "cleared to XYZ via newark 7, eliot j80 kippi then as filed. kippi is on J80, so the "then as filed" from that point is KIPPI J80 AIR. you could put in EWR7 ELIOT J80 KIPPI J80 AIR J110 VHP.VLA6, or you could shorten it to EWR7 ELIOT J80 AIR J110 VHP.VLA6.

Alright, you've gone totally soft on me Seggy. An autopilot, FMS, AND PDC???

Just wanted to reiterate that. I'm thinking of a long list of gripes and whatnot for you Seggy... what's the VOR frequency, what radial do you track. Can I get a heading for that??? You get the idea...

Guess I'm going to have to get used to not being the "cool kid" anymore. At least I'm still senior to you!! ha ha. :p

Or in canada you'll get the "Contact Clearance Now with Code 843P*. You want to sound like you know what you're doing? Don't say "star" at the end, that's just part of the code that comes out on the PDC ;-)

ha... Going from RKD to BOS, brunswic NAS, always used to end with SKUPP 0 arrival..

the zero at the end means we are not authorized for that arrival... so 5-8 times a day, they would clear us for something we could not accept... lol

PDC?

Till a few months ago I didn't know our company had PDCs or at least the operation I worked for, but we always had food in the galley.

Get your priorities straight.

Back