Colgan just hired street captain

Firebird, I thought you were a 07 hire?

There are plenty of qualified FO's waiting for saab captain spots.

Is there any way to tell if you leave street captains out what your junior date of hire for captain is?

er.. maybe more to the point.. what's the date of hire of your most senior first officers?

Unless there was an upgrade class just recently that I didn't hear about my class was the last to go through upgrade. My hire date was 02/07

Firebird, I thought you were a 07 hire?

There are plenty of qualified FO's waiting for saab captain spots.

You're right- my mistake. I was a March '07 hire.

Either way, if you've got 3 year FOs and a streeter gets hired, I hope the company feels the backlash severely. That's just crap.

I believe the company is still paying some FOs @ CA pay because of the whole "Lets hire Beech street captains for 2 months, then make them Saab captains even though their seniority cant hold it" deal.

There are MANY guys that are qualified for a CA spot per the requirements we set.

I dont believe the street captain rumor one bit, there would be a riot.

Through an unfortunate series of events, the senior FO has pretty much been screwed every which way.

At this point, he's not really senior enough to hold the Q CA spot, even though he is senior to some of the CA's on it now. He just doesn't hold the sen. for current vacancy openings.... which until recently were none.

I'm not sure if he wanted the saab, or decided to wait until the Q started moving again. Before heads roll, make sure the seats were "wanted" by people who meet minimums, which I Guarantee after 3407, they will hold.

I really hope that we have a good "house" cleaning, and revamped training program before we start moving people around in seats. I don't want pilots fired, but I am so sick of FAA, CKA, etc observations because people don't use their heads. Here is my "me" generation rant. When the decessions YOU make, make me look bad, make my job harder, and tarnish My name as a pilot; it is time for you to go. If you want to hot refuel a dash via single point. Fine, go do it in lagos or something. If want to pay so little attention to the airplane, as to not know your basic limitations, again, fine... just do it elsewhere. If you want to close the door, and not think twice about what is sitting on the other side... go fly traffic watch or something. By no means am I perfect, but I will be the first to admit when I screw up, and I have no need to hide it, from myself or the company. The result being, If something happens, when the CP calls asking what went on, they believe me when I give them the story, and it ends there.

Lastly, if you have "procedures" that are better, bring them to the training dept. and let them share it with the rest of us. A better procedure is not a little pot of gold about to run out... no need to hoard it, share the wealth.

In the absence of a binding agreement, being hired as a first officer in no way entitles you to a captain's position. I recognize that this is a commonly accepted paradigm in the profession, but I believe an employer has the right to hire whomever they choose, and place them where they want them.

That said, it seems to me a poor business decision on the part of the employer. All it does is provoke anger and resentment amongst the employees, for no tangible benefit.

To all the prospective professional pilots out there, let this serve as a word of warning. This kind of stuff goes on in this business. Make your choice.

In the absence of a binding agreement, being hired as a first officer in no way entitles you to a captain's position.

True. You still have to qualify.

I recognize that this is a commonly accepted paradigm in the profession, but I believe an employer has the right to hire whomever they choose, and place them where they want them.

Within reason, of course. On a regional airline who has to hire guys with 500/50 (for example) many of the F/Os may not have the qualifications for the ATP required to be in the left. An additional example might be Q400 F/Os who refuse to bid Beech or Saab left seats because they want the schedules or QoL.

In that case, the Company would be forced to hire street Capts.

That said, it seems to me a poor business decision on the part of the employer. All it does is provoke anger and resentment amongst the employees, for no tangible benefit.

In the examples I cited above, any anger and resentment would be a YOUR problem not a management problem. If you bypass a seat, then that's on YOU. Additionally, the street Captains will always be junior on the seniority list to the F/Os who bypassed. Eventually when the F/Os upgrade, they would take their rightful place in the pecking order.

For that reason alone, being a street Captain would suck.

To all the prospective professional pilots out there, let this serve as a word of warning. This kind of stuff goes on in this business. Make your choice.

Yep, its a seniority driven system.

Gotta ask...why would someone hot refuel an airliner?

We would do it at an airport without a huffer and an APU inop. We have procedures in place for that scenario.

Gotta ask...why would someone hot refuel an airliner?

We have procedures for it as well. I think it requires permission of the airport and ARFF. I almost had that situation. We were having APU problems and the new station in MRY had fried their GPU (apparently diesels don't like gasoline). They didn't have a spare. The airport didn't want us to hot refuel. It was our last leg of the day, so I handed the airplane over to the new captain with #2 running. Don't know whatever happened. I went to the hotel. Hell of a way to start Upgrade OE.

Our Hot Refuel/Deplane/Boarding procedures

-Pull into the gate
-Shut down the left engine
-Unload the passengers
-Crossbleed start the left engine from the right engine
-Shutdown the right engine
-Refuel (the singlepoint is on the left wing root
-Crossbleed start the right engine from the left engine
-Shutdown the left engine
-Load the passengers
-Push back
-Crossbleed start the left engine from the right engine

Good times. I've done it once from the right seat. I think I would refuse an airplane before knowingly going into a situation like that again.

The Dash i don't think will ever be approved... the single point is all of 11 feet behind that spinning prop... It can bat start, so... no real pressing need to turn one while pumping.

I also have to quesiton the judgement of a fueler who would be willing.

Regardless of whether airline "X" or airline "Y" has an approved hot refueling procedure or not, it's NOT approved in the CJC manuals. So, the PIC that did that was beyond stupid to do so and deserved any disciplinary action taken against him.

Regardless of whether airline "X" or airline "Y" has an approved hot refueling procedure or not, it's NOT approved in the CJC manuals. So, the PIC that did that was beyond stupid to do so and deserved any disciplinary action taken against him.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not saying your necessarily wrong, I might suggest that such open bashing a fellow co-worker may come back to bite you in the ass. Personally, I was not there, nor do I know all the details so I will reserve my personal judgement at this time.

Just a thought...;)

So here's what i've heard. One confirmed saab street captian to start class end of this month. He had worked at colgan and left to go to cargo company.

Q400 lines painted in houston

Colgan has booked all the q400 sim time starting in June.

Anyone else know about any of these?

So? Is he qualified? Is there a shortage of available people to fill that position? Does he have experience on the Saab? Are the available FOs for upgrade unwilling, or somehow blemished in a way that would preclude their service in a post 3407 colgan? BFD. Fly your line, and chill out, today's street captain could be tomorrows chief pilot/ check airman.

No, by no means is there a shortage of qualified FO candidates for SAAB CA.

Look guys, I don't know who, what or why somebody tried to hot refuel a dash, All i know, is that i was awarded a line observation by the FAA from RDU-EWR because of it. The fed said,"I'm only down here because somebody tried to hot fuel a DH8." Could have been Piedmont or somebody else, I don't know. All I know is that someone else exercised bad judgement and, I had to pay for it.

I'm also going to go further out on a limb here, and this isn't an atack on street CA's, but... The feeling I got from the training dept, is no more Street CA's. They have not had good luck with them. MX, FOM, FAA issues. With 3407, they are very very hesitant to put anybody in the left seat right now, esp. somebody who is not familure with "Colgan" procedures.

A Colgan CA returning would be diffrent though, I guess.

From the mouth of the company, they are out to "swiftly" change the attitude and enviroment in which 9L operations take place. They are cracking down, and it is not going to stop for a long time.

So? Is he qualified? Is there a shortage of available people to fill that position? Does he have experience on the Saab? Are the available FOs for upgrade unwilling, or somehow blemished in a way that would preclude their service in a post 3407 colgan? BFD. Fly your line, and chill out, today's street captain could be tomorrows chief pilot/ check airman.

Agreed, people get too worked up over these things.

Back