Cockpit GPS

Ipad, I-fly or Garmin for portable GPS

• AVMAP EKP V! Because it sounds so aviation-y

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hadron multinav! Because I've never heard of it, but you can use it on a boat as well(?!?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
T-Mobile has their 200mb/month plan for free. It's not a lot of data but good for quick weather updates. Also with the iPad Air/Retina iPad Mini it doesn't matter which model you get, if you get one for any of the carriers it will work with a T-Mobile sim card.

T-Mobile has their 200mb/month plan for free. It's not a lot of data but good for quick weather updates. Also with the iPad Air/Retina iPad Mini it doesn't matter which model you get, if you get one for any of the carriers it will work with a T-Mobile sim card.

No kidding! Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

I likely won't be using it on a data plan because I'm too cheap to activate it and pay $10 monthly. Just wanted to make sure it's a decent GPS inflight for GA airplanes, which it sounds like it is.
I've used a wifi only model on Foreflight since March 2011, during my training days and into my first couple part 91 jobs but never got to experiment with a cellular model. it's been fun watching foreflight develop over the years and become even more incredibly useful and comprehensive.
Gotcha. Don't know if you have T-Mobile or not, but you get free data for a tablet if you have a phone line with them.

Looks like you beat me to the punch. You also can get an extra 1GB of data for free on tablets until January 2015 when it will go back up to $10/mo.

I pulled the trigger and got a refurbished mini and then I went to the apple store for a T-mobile SIM card (free). Signing up for the 200mb/month free plan was a breeze. The only bad part is that T-mobile has poor coverage outside of densely populated areas.

I pulled the trigger and got a refurbished mini and then I went to the apple store for a T-mobile SIM card (free). Signing up for the 200mb/month free plan was a breeze. The only bad part is that T-mobile has poor coverage outside of densely populated areas.
Nice! Word is that all TMo 2G towers will be converted to 4G by fall of '15. Here's hoping.

Back