Cockpit GPS

Ipad, I-fly or Garmin for portable GPS

• AVMAP EKP V! Because it sounds so aviation-y

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hadron multinav! Because I've never heard of it, but you can use it on a boat as well(?!?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Another (final) question:

ipad mini or regular ipad? And: how many gigs does one need 16, 32, 64?

I think mini or full size iPad is personal preference

If you are deciding to go with foreflight and you want to download all the charts (VFR sectionals and ifr low and high enroute) for the entire US you're looking at needing at least 12-14gb for just the foreflight app so you'll need the 32gb.

You can get away with 16 if you don't download everything for use in flight.

Other than practicing to keep the skill sharp, why bother when you have the increased SA of the moving map? Obviously a good pilot combines his pilotage with his GPS...

Using your logic, why fly fancy ILSs when we can use NDBs and bring back the 4 course Radio Range?
Because you and I both know that the majority of the magnenta kids are not practicing their skills for when the "magic" fails, and will be totally and utterly lost when that day comes.

I think mini or full size iPad is personal preference

If you are deciding to go with foreflight and you want to download all the charts (VFR sectionals and ifr low and high enroute) for the entire US you're looking at needing at least 12-14gb for just the foreflight app so you'll need the 32gb.

You can get away with 16 if you don't download everything for use in flight.
Definitely the mini.

Pretty funny how when it's a private pilot wanting an iPad for situational awareness all the big shot airline guys are all "ermagerd, children of the magenta, learn some pilotage!" But when a knucklehead airline driver lands a 737 with multiple GPSs and every other navaid you could name at the wrong airport it's all "it could happen to anyone, we don't even have sectionals so pilotage is useless, blah blah blah".

Whatever happened to actually using a chart and looking out the window. You know, do some of that old school piloting stuff. What was it called? Oh yeah, pilotage and dead reckoning. Is that still on the PPL standards?

The iPad is a chart, VFR or IFR. No?

2w5pzlw.png

149z0jc.png

Last edited:
Wow that is incredible. What is that? I assume you are also using an ADS-B receiver as well?

Oh yea, Stratus generation 1.

Some of my airline pilot friends have purchased an iPad, Stratus and ForeFlight for work.

Some of my airline pilot friends have purchased an iPad, Stratus and ForeFlight for work.
Silly peasant, traffic data is for the high and mighty only. You will be summarily scolded for not relying solely on see and avoid.

I have an iPad mini with cellular service and use ForeFlight extensively for charts and planning purposes. I also have a Garmin Aera 510 with XM weather I use for inflight stuff. I thought about going to ForeFlight/Stratus alone and ditching the Aera but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I have an iPad mini with cellular service and use ForeFlight extensively for charts and planning purposes. I also have a Garmin Aera 510 with XM weather I use for inflight stuff. I thought about going to ForeFlight/Stratus alone and ditching the Aera but couldn't bring myself to do it.
I was like that for awhile too. Then I got a Stratus for my birthday. Been saving $600 a year for 3 years now.

I was like that for awhile too. Then I got a Stratus for my birthday. Been saving $600 a year for 3 years now.
Company pays for the XM. If they didn't I'd buy the Stratus and be done with it for GA flying. Or just find a company with better equipment lol.

That's really incredible. I wish they would install an ADS-B receiver in our planes, would be neat to get weather uplinked.

A major point has not been addressed.
the unit blanked from heat/ sunlight-80*, really?
I agree the guy was not prepared- but no one else expierenced failure?

A major point has not been addressed.
the unit blanked from heat/ sunlight-80*, really?
I agree the guy was not prepared- but no one else expierenced failure?

Never really had a problem in flight, if it's hot point a vent at it. Hot days on the ground keep it in the shade.

When it has overheated it takes very little to cool it off.

I don't find a need to put my iPad in a mount, my lap works just fine.

Anybody have any experience they can share about using a cellular model ipad (3-Air) in GA aircraft? How is the GPS function, overall, battery usage, etc? I couldn't find a dedicated thread on this topic so I apologize if there is one and I overlooked it.

Anybody have any experience they can share about using a cellular model ipad (3-Air) in GA aircraft? How is the GPS function, overall, battery usage, etc? I couldn't find a dedicated thread on this topic so I apologize if there is one and I overlooked it.
I use the iPad mini retina and it works great. Battery life drains pretty quickly with fore flight if you leave the screen on (4-5 hours). The accuracy is generally within 10 meters. It's really nice to have to help avoid airspace/tfr, to quickly look up frequencies, and of course as an aid to navigation.

I definitely think new pilots should master pilotage and dead reckoning using a map and compass first though.

I use the iPad mini retina and it works great. Battery life drains pretty quickly with fore flight if you leave the screen on (4-5 hours). The accuracy is generally within 10 meters. It's really nice to have to help avoid airspace/tfr, to quickly look up frequencies, and of course as an aid to navigation.

I definitely think new pilots should master pilotage and dead reckoning using a map and compass first though.

Great to hear. Company just got me an IPad air and was curious if it was worth upgrading to the cellular model. They provide us with the Dual Xgps but if the cellular chip is somewhat reliable and accurate I'd like to upgrade just to have it as a backup in case I forgot to charge the Dual or if it crapped out on me.

So you'd say it's worth the $129 upgrade?

Back