Co-Captain forgot medical...BUSTED

My most recent flight physical was the first one I've had to use Medxpress for. The paper medical the AME gave me just came out of his laser printer--nothing special. So when I got home, I scanned it to a PDF, and put a copy on my Dropbox.com account.Now, anywhere I am, as long as I have access to the Internet and a printer, I can get a copy that is identical to the one the AME gave me.

If an electronic copy truly can suffice, I guess I should put a copy on my phone, iPad, or on a flash drive too.

Back in the FLX days, I watched a pilot walk away from a ramp check where they didn't have their medical (or license), get BACK IN TO THE AIRPLANE and FLY OFF. Your mistake, my friend, was not having boobs.

Don't get me wrong, I was CHEERING, but damn double-standards anyhow.

This is kind of old news now but from the situation described there was no proof to the FAA that the guy didn't have his medical on the flight unless he told them he left it on his desk. It could have been very possible that it fell out of his pocket, or something along those lines, on the ramp and blew away after the flight. In that case he gets the temp. cert. and is on his way legally again. He then goes to the AME and gets a new medical.

Restated: It is a very real possibility to have a piece of paper on the ramp and have it mysteriously gone right after. I'm certain I have lost at least $30 to the ramp and me not noticing when pulling stuff out of my pockets. I've often wondered what if that were my medical? I always think I have my medical with me before every flight because I stow it with everything else I always carry on me so in this instance I would be positive I had it on the flight and it had to have been lost after the flight. I don't see how the FAA could prove otherwise. If I had it on the flight and didn't have it showing up for a checkride I was still legal for that flight but can't do the checkride without the temp. or whatever the FAA deems necessary for the ride. Darn, no checkride but no violation.

I dont mean to change the subject, but Ive always wondered: is it possible to carry a copy of your medical? I would rather leave the original at home, and carry a laminated copy in my wallet. Its frustrating that such an important document that you only get once every 2-5 years is just a cheesy sheet of paper. I don't like carrying the original around!

Medicals are registered in the Airman database, and always have a scanned copy of everything readily available, it could come in handy in case of wallet theft for instance...

As was said earlier, the FAA will fax you a record of your medical certificate.

The Aerospace Medical Certification Division can fax you a record of your certificate that is valid for no more than 60 days, which should be enough time to receive your replacement certificate. To receive this fax and order a duplicate certificate, call (405) 954-7674 to reach the duplicate certificate desk.

For next time, look up FAA Order 8900.01, Volume 5, Chapter 1, Section 7.

5-153 C. " Air Carrier Certificate Verification Plan"

Exemption 5560 or 5487 may be used for air carriers or other similarly situated 14 CFR 121 and 135 air carriers.

Add to checklist:
- You have your license? Yes
- You have a photo ID? Yes
- You have your medical? Yes
- Boxers or briefs? Spanks

I dont mean to change the subject, but Ive always wondered: is it possible to carry a copy of your medical? I would rather leave the original at home, and carry a laminated copy in my wallet. Its frustrating that such an important document that you only get once every 2-5 years is just a cheesy sheet of paper. I don't like carrying the original around!

It isn't a huge deal to replace it - they will fax you a temporary one. For like $2, you can get a permanent replacement mailed.

Copies are not legal (though I am not sure anyone could really tell the difference)

It isn't a huge deal to replace it - they will fax you a temporary one. For like $2, you can get a permanent replacement mailed.

Copies are not legal (though I am not sure anyone could really tell the difference)
You can actually go online and print off a temp in like 30 seconds. No need to build a time machine, travel to 1985, rob a copymax and then travel back.

1990 called, they want their technology back.

I tried to find the page that lets you download a temporary medical (as I have used the feature before) but I wasn't able to. I didn't want to provide incomplete guidance so I opted to give the fax information.

How about instead of making a snide comment you actually contribute something to the thread and post the link to where someone could print their medical? :rolleyes:

And one more thing...2005 called, they want their joke back. :p

I tried to find the page that lets you download a temporary medical (as I have used the feature before) but I wasn't able to. I didn't want to provide incomplete guidance so I opted to give the fax information.

How about instead of making a snide comment you actually contribute something to the thread and post the link to where someone could print their medical? :rolleyes:

And one more thing...2005 called, they want their joke back. :p
Wasn't intending to mock you, more the fact that the FAA is still using faxes.

Roger, Roger...my bad! I hate the interwebz sometimes, so hard to read tone. I am with you on the fact the FAA is slow with anything.

Funny thing, I had a meeting earlier today where three times the guy said, "19XX called and wants their __________ back." So the joke is still alive and well! :)

I haven't read all the responses but I would never trust a FED in this case. I'm sure they're nice guys.

Remember, they get their stripes by busting people. Meet your friendly Gov't provided Monday Morning Quarterback.

I haven't read all the responses but I would never trust a FED in this case. I'm sure they're nice guys.

Remember, they get their stripes by busting people. Meet your friendly Gov't provided Monday Morning Quarterback.

I have several friends that are Feds and can attest to the fact that they don't earn kuddos by busting pilots. The one I know personally and have worked with go out of there way to not bust pilots.

I would say always cya when a FED is involved.

Lawyer-up.

Think of it like "insurance".

I have some friends who are with the FAA and, oftentimes (but not all the time), busting pilots is "sport" and most of them are paranoids NOT to bust you because their co-workers will bust THEM for not busting YOU.

Back