CO 777 NRT-IAH makes emerg landing on Midway Island

Flights from Tokyo to Houston don't get within a thousand miles of Chicago. What are you smoking Inspector?

Copied WITHOUT permission:

Jetliner bound for Texas lands on Midway

By Jan TenBruggencate
Advertiser Staff Writer

A Continental Airlines jet with 294 people on board made an emergency landing at Midway Atoll's Sand Island airfield early today, apparently after suffering an oil pressure problem in one of its engines.
There were no injuries. The airline was expected to fly maintenance personnel and parts to the island today, and hoped to fly out after dark.

Daytime jet operations at the atoll are considered dangerous because of the threat that an engine could be disabled if it sucked in one of the hundreds of thousands of seabirds that nest on the island.

"The passengers were deplaned, and they can be entertained by a million and a half seabirds," said Barbara Maxfield, speaking for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, which operates the Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge.

She said there have been no medical problems among the passengers. The service has a physician's assistant on island to help with any medical issues. There is food on the plane, and Midway's own food supplies were replenished a week ago via an Aloha Airlines chartered jet.

The plane, Continental's Flight 6, was en route from Japanâs Narita Airport to Houston's George Bush International Airport. The twin-engine Boeing 777 is a computer-designed and fuel-efficient aircraft that includes configurations that allow extended range flights. The route from Narita to Houston is nearly 7,000 miles and takes 11 hours and 40 minutes, said Julie King, a Continental spokeswoman in Houston.

She said there appeared to have been an oil leak from a starter. Continental planned to fly a maintenance crew of four and a new starter, along with additional food and water supplies, to Midway today. Repairs were expected to take three hours, and the plane was scheduled to leave Midway at about 9 p.m. Hawai'i time, King said.

She said interested passengers were being given a guided tour of the island, which is near the western end of the Hawaiian archipelago and lies more than 1,000 miles northwest of the main Hawaiian Islands.

Midway (Chicago), Midway the island...they're only 3000 miles apart. Easy mistake.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Midway (Chicago), Midway the island...they're only 3000 miles apart. Easy mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez ... get it right. They are 4,900 miles apart. Or so says the Great Circle Mapper.
smile.gif

Well, there are worse places to be stranded. If you've got to be stranded, a place that's in the middle of the tropical Pacific and that has so much history associated with it isn't a bad place to be!

Yeah, Goose Bay Labrador. Got stranded there once while in the USAF. A place so far from anything it gets second billing on the license plates; plates read, Newfoundland and Labrador

[ QUOTE ]
Could a Tripple Seven even land at Midway (Chicago)?

Ethan

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm probably. But the bigger question is how would they get it out of there. Runways are too short.

757 is the largest aircraft allowed to land @ MDW.

Matthew

If I had to choose being stranded at Chicago Midway or stranded on an island in the middle of the pcaific I'm going to have go with the pacific island. I hate MDW - cringe everytime I have to go in there.

Jason

I rode an ATA 727 jumpseat from MKE to MDW back in 1996 and HOLY CRAP! That was a big eye opener because he used every last bit of the runway.

Back