CO 777 NRT-IAH makes emerg landing on Midway Island

How about Orange County? They do it every day ... one 5700 foot runway with a good number of 757 flights (plus the FedEx 767 each night).

[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect....I work for CO it was midway in chicago...

[/ QUOTE ]Open mouth...insert foot...chew vigorously.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect....I work for CO it was midway in chicago...

[/ QUOTE ]Open mouth...insert foot...chew vigorously.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to say ... what happened to Inspector?? He hasn't replied to that post.

Night circling approaches(albiet visual) to a short runway with buildings in all quadrants and SOIR in effect - every jet pilot's dream.....errrrr nightmare...... come true.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
How about Orange County? They do it every day ... one 5700 foot runway with a good number of 757 flights (plus the FedEx 767 each night).

[/ QUOTE ]

FedEx doesn't have 767's.....do they?

Thought the only original Boeing equipment they had were 727's.

Matthew

Yep I believe that's the one - last time I flew it it was earlier last spring - at night - weather wasn' that bad but it was overcast - and windy - gusting to around 30+ knots if I remember correctly. That's the night we got tailplane ice. We selected flaps 30(Challenger has 20, 30, and 45) and the airplane starting shuttering so we went back to 20 and landed that way - ref plus a bunch which didn't help with the short(ish) runway with a gusting crosswind como.

A little background - the tailplane of the Challenger series(including the CRJ) has absolutley no anti/de-ice protection as the engineers say the airfoil is too thin and flies too fast to develop tailplane ice - all I have to say to that is "BULLS#!T" - but that's a whole different topic.

Has anyone here ever actually been to Midway Island?? Just curious as to wether the remanents of the USN's stay are still there or did they pick up after themselves.

Jason

In answer to Matthew's question, no, FedEx does not operate B767s. The only "original" Boeing equipment they fly is the B727. However, one could probably look at an A300 or A310 freighter (both of which FDX operates in abundance) and mistake it for a B767 on first glance. Having never been to Orange County, I can't say for certain what FDX flies there, but the 'bus would be my guess.

As to MDW (and most short-runway airports) landing there isn't the problem. Most large aircraft can land a lot of places they can't get out of (legally, anyway). I suspect that the B777 could probably be stopped in the length of MDW's runways, but it certainly couldn't get back out (except perhaps empty and with minimum fuel, even then probably close). The other issue is pavement strength. I'm fairly certain the pavement (rwy, twy, etc) at MDW isn't stressed to 550,000 lbs or thereabouts, as would be required for the 777. I would guess the MGTOW of the 757-300 is probably around 300,000 lbs ... I know the -200 is 255,000, but I don't know how much higher the -300 is.

We even have this issue in the King Air. We can land and stop almost anywhere (I've stopped the airplane in 2000' without braking, just using moderate reverse), but getting out with an acceptable safety margin requires 4000' or so. Really set off a former employee when we told him we couldn't take him to a 3000' runway somewhere.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]

She said interested passengers were being given a guided tour of the island, which is near the western end of the Hawaiian archipelago and lies more than 1,000 miles northwest of the main Hawaiian Islands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like fun. The best CO has ever given me when I've been stranded is an unguided tour of the EWR Holiday Inn.

Back