CLT "turn xxx THEN contact departure"

Reminds me of when I was ATL the other week and tower got mad at us. Early morning, clearance was an rnav sid. We're the only plane anywhere near the runway and they tell us to line up and wait. Then give us cleared for takeoff and at the middle marker fly heading xxx. I said unable we will need to look up the middle marker. They get pissy and just say fly runway heading.

Wtf bruh? This isn't 1980. I'm a child of the magenta and damn proud of it. What's this middle marker you speak of anyway?

Did you get your instrument in a G1000 or something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Airbus you can push the comm panel to listen to the beacons - that's what I've done. Not sure what the RJ has. Sometimes I forget and just turn at the end of the runway.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, and cut with an axe sort of thing. I don't think anyone is paying that much attention.

In the Airbus you can push the comm panel to listen to the beacons - that's what I've done. Not sure what the RJ has. Sometimes I forget and just turn at the end of the runway.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, and cut with an axe sort of thing. I don't think anyone is paying that much attention.

A little amber 'M' flashes on the PFD, even if you don't select anything on the comm panel.

Vaguely! I do remember the coffee-can microphone and "Southernjets 42, report position!" every 45 seconds during the arrival and approach.

I'll see if I can help with the heading, then departure issue. At CLT we have a noise abatement restriction that requires departures to fly 2 miles when departing 18L or 18C before we are able to turn you. We have a waiver that allows us to depart side-by-side for that 2 miles IMC or VMC and then issue turns to gain standard separation (i.e. at least 15 degree divergence) from the parallel departure. Also, we have an Arrival/Departure Window (ADW) that requires us to have aircraft physically rolling on 18C before the 23 arrival crosses a point 1.8 miles from the 23 threshold. Factor in RWY crossings to get arrivals from 18R to the ramp, any 18C arrivals inbound, and any other nonroutine tasks going on and there isn't time to talk to all of those on time every time. We issue the turn Then contact departure so that we can essentially get 2 transmissions done in one. We need to have you on the TWR frequency until the turn to heading 240 to comply with our waiver, at which point we have our divergence from the 18L departure, and you can then talk to departure. If you are issued just a heading and contact departure without the, Then, it's because either there isn't a 18L departure next to you or the 18L departure has already been turned. Hope that clears up some of the questions. As far as getting yelled at by "the lady on 126.4", I can't help there. Some people just need work on their people skills, and that goes on both sides of the frequency.

I see turboprops turn 18C departure nearly 'right away'....west bound initially. I would assume there is a spacing requirement for final traffic on 18L...

Back in the day for me, change to departure was given concurrent with the takeoff clearance. "Ghost 7, wind 240 at 5, Runway 23 cleared for takeoff, change to departure."

I imagine if tower needed to get a hold of me for any reason, they'd use departure override mode, or just use Guard.
In Canada they still do that.

Back