CLT "turn xxx THEN contact departure"

Shanghai is the absolute worst. They don't tell you which arrival to expect until it's time to fly it, you have to find whatever strange fix it is where your arrival ends to find the transition to the approach. THEN as soon as you have your poo in a pile they pull you off it.

Plus meanwhile you're having to convert stuff from feet into meters.
Sounds exactly like the Moscow region also, except you wait until 5,000' to transition to meters. Also, nobody realizes it but they have speed schedules for you to go by but never, ever use them.

Edit: And just to mess people up, St. Petersburg went to QNH ops at the beginning of the month but everywhere else in Russia, as far as I know, is QFE.

Last edited:
They do somewhat when departures are using 9L @ M2 and inbounds cross 9L @ P.

Caution jet blast, give way to the 737 in the grass

article-2114358-122619B2000005DC-789_308x185.jpg

Shanghai is the absolute worst. They don't tell you which arrival to expect until it's time to fly it, you have to find whatever strange fix it is where your arrival ends to find the transition to the approach. THEN as soon as you have your poo in a pile they pull you off it.

Plus meanwhile you're having to convert stuff from feet into meters.

Welcome to SVO!

But then a lot of the WUTEVA-1A/2C/3D/blah arrivals are airway dependent, but you have to do a little digging. I'm too lazy to grab my Surface (which is probably dead because it hasn't been on the charger for 24 hours) to look for an example.

Besides, there's what, 50 of you guys in a 747 cockpit? One of you mark-assed busters can't figure this out? Millennials… :)

Welcome to SVO!

But then a lot of the WUTEVA-1A/2C/3D/blah arrivals are airway dependent, but you have to do a little digging. I'm too lazy to grab my Surface (which is probably dead because it hasn't been on the charger for 24 hours) to look for an example...

Trump is gonna fix all that!

Welcome to SVO!

But then a lot of the WUTEVA-1A/2C/3D/blah arrivals are airway dependent, but you have to do a little digging. I'm too lazy to grab my Surface (which is probably dead because it hasn't been on the charger for 24 hours) to look for an example.

Besides, there's what, 50 of you guys in a 747 cockpit? One of you mark-assed busters can't figure this out? Millennials… :)
IN (Sukhotino) or FK (Gagarin) most likely were the fixes, with the associated arrivals. So it's the IN 1,2, or 3E transition, OKLIT or BESTA arrival, or Ivanovskoye (UM) or Savelovo (SW) arrival.

Bring back memories? ;) The sad part is I only had to look up one of the names to know all of that. Easy peasy!

Vaguely! I do remember the coffee-can microphone and "Southernjets 42, report position!" every 45 seconds during the arrival and approach.

Vaguely! I do remember the coffee-can microphone and "Southernjets 42, report position!" every 45 seconds during the arrival and approach.
Y'all must have been screwing up then. I've never had them ask my position and I've been here for over 6 years now. Haha. :D

Y'all haven't been 42 for years...I think they used 447/448 or something similar this past summer. I only was able to ride on your air line once this summer.

I was wondering if anyone can explain this? I recently heard of someone calling deaperture before on assigned heading and getting their wrist slapped. Any info? Why doesn't tower just hold on to you until they're ready for you to be off frequency?

This may or may not really grind my gears.

Sometimes it's "turn right 240 then contact departure", sometimes it's just "contact departure" while still on initial heading, and sometimes (like yesterday) it's "turn right 240 and during the turn contact departure".

I just try not to get yelled at by the lady on 126.4 on the ground when she gives runway crossing instructions and doesn't listen to or like the readback.

Back in the day for me, change to departure was given concurrent with the takeoff clearance. "Ghost 7, wind 240 at 5, Runway 23 cleared for takeoff, change to departure."

I imagine if tower needed to get a hold of me for any reason, they'd use departure override mode, or just use Guard.

Back in the day for me, change to departure was given concurrent with the takeoff clearance. "Ghost 7, wind 240 at 5, Runway 23 cleared for takeoff, change to departure."

I imagine if tower needed to get a hold of me for any reason, they'd use departure override mode, or just use Guard.

That's fighters only iirc. Aka single-piloted tactical aircraft

Why has CLT axed the runway connected rnav dept? Everything is a heading now on dept and then they give you vectors to an rnav fix. Our IBTs, PIFs, and sim stuff seems to be DOMINATED by how not to F up flying a wrong runway dept in CLT. I assume we have pilots that continue to load the wrong runway in and then get a different runway so they make a turn across traffic when airborne. I can't imagine CLT getting pissed enough at us to take it away from everyone.

Why has CLT axed the runway connected rnav dept? Everything is a heading now on dept and then they give you vectors to an rnav fix. Our IBTs, PIFs, and sim stuff seems to be DOMINATED by how not to F up flying a wrong runway dept in CLT. I assume we have pilots that continue to load the wrong runway in and then get a different runway so they make a turn across traffic when airborne. I can't imagine CLT getting pissed enough at us to take it away from everyone.

I can definitely see ATC getting pissed enough to take it away. Just listen to guys check in when they're descending via a STAR. "Uhhh, approach, uhh merkan 2125, uhhh we're descending uhhh 14,500 descending 5000". Approach "confirm descending via the whatever arrival RW XX transition and you have the atis".

Every. F'ing. Time. I'd lose it if I was a controller.

Reminds me of when I was ATL the other week and tower got mad at us. Early morning, clearance was an rnav sid. We're the only plane anywhere near the runway and they tell us to line up and wait. Then give us cleared for takeoff and at the middle marker fly heading xxx. I said unable we will need to look up the middle marker. They get pissy and just say fly runway heading.

Wtf bruh? This isn't 1980. I'm a child of the magenta and damn proud of it. What's this middle marker you speak of anyway?

It's going to be that beeping tone you'll hear right off the end of the runway.

Kinda like KATL:

"All traffic holding between the runways, answer with callsign only..."
or ORD ever.
"Buzzsaw 5185 runway whatever follow the guy in front of you Skidoo 5156 runway whatever follow the buzzsaw Southernjets 1751, Repugnant 4781 and Skiddo 5111 monitor the tower 126.7, Deathstar 181 runway 22L alpha bravo zulu <breath without unkeying>"

or ORD ever.
"Buzzsaw 5185 runway whatever follow the guy in front of you Skidoo 5156 runway whatever follow the buzzsaw Southernjets 1751, Repugnant 4781 and Skiddo 5111 monitor the tower 126.7, Deathstar 181 runway 22L alpha bravo zulu <breath without unkeying>"

A buddy of mine transferred from ORD twr to CLT twr and while training they kept having to tell him to stop talking so fast and breath lol

Back