Cleared for next approach

[ QUOTE ]
You can't assume you're established on the approach just because ATC has cleared you.

I still have to respectfully disagree with you guys; yes, you're cleared for the approach yet you are still on a published segement of the missed, meaning you must fly all courses and altitudes as shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are not on a published segment of the approach, and ATC clears you, they will tell you to maintain whatever altitude UNTIL ESTABLISHED, so this whole discussion is moot.

OK, I've heard a bunch of great stuff.

Here's what I think.

1. Legally, and for safety, you must continue the missed approach until established on a published portion of the next approach.

2. You can legally and safely target 3000 (rather than 4000) at the holding fix (published on the missed procedure) as long as your climb is better than 200feet/nm. In this case, 3000 at the fix is about 500 feet/nm.

3. Once you reach the FIX, your obligation to climb to 4000 goes away, because you are now on the next approach (IAF). Fly outbound......

Does anybody disagree that one can climb at 750 fpm on a missed, and continue the climb in the hold if you don't reach the holding altitude?

[ QUOTE ]
so this whole discussion is moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's too bad we all wasted our time, then.

Please, do not put words in my mouth. I wasn't implying that. Thanks.
smile.gif

Back