Clearance to taxi across a runway.

So we still don't have a concensus about when to switch frequencies from ground to tower after landing.

From here on out, I think I'll change freqs as soon as I recieve the instruction "contact ground". Even in eagle's scenario (halfway down the runway), I guess I would contact ground immediatly unless they said "contact ground clear of the runway". However, I still like to stop the plane and run a checklist after I clear the runway. This tends to piss off the ground controller if I've already recieved my taxi instructions.

I contact ground when I'm told to and clear of the runway. The local controller is supposed to coordinate with ground to allow you to exit the runway without a conflict. Sometimes the local controller will forget to tell you to switch or be too busy to. In that case, I'll wait a bit and then switch to ground on my own. Personally, I think it's bad ATC manners to be switched over to ground and then not call them while you run a checklist or something...at the same time, I don't let ATC bug me if I'm too busy to talk to them but I put talking to them pretty high on my list.

I contact ground when told, and when clear of the runway. If tower has not told me to contact ground, when clear I say "Windy City XXXX is clear of runway XX". Then they usually say "taxi to the ramp with me" or "Contact ground". Either way, I always stay on tower until clear.

At MDW it's different, because tower will basically give us the taxi instructions when clearing. On the landing rollout, ATC will say, "Windy City XXXX, turn left Alpha, cross 31L, (possibly hold short 31L or hold short 22L) contact ground point 65." Then, when clear of 31L (another runway that is active) I'll call ground or wait for them to call me if the frequency is congested.

Know the procedures, but be flexible enough to recognize when things won't go "perfect by the book."

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was clear that I was having a joke - personal attacks are not appreciated though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I caught that.

Back