Clearance Delivery?

Skinnah

Whe do you usually contact Clearance Delivery and what do you say to them on the initial call up? Thanks....

Pretaxi clearance programs require pilots to request IFR clearance 10 min. or less prior to taxi and then to request taxi clearance from ground control.

If you are VFR using an airport that has CD, most will want you to touch base to let them know your intended route, this is where you will they your VFR transponder code.

[ QUOTE ]

If you are VFR using an airport that has CD, most will want you to touch base to let them know your intended route, this is where you will they your VFR transponder code.

[/ QUOTE ]This may be one of those things that vary geographically, but I've never come across an airport other than one in Class C or B airspace that wanted me to call CD before contacting ground.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This may be one of those things that vary geographically, but I've never come across an airport other than one in Class C or B airspace that wanted me to call CD before contacting ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never been to a class D that had a clearance delivery.

I've only flown there 1 time, but if I remember things right, they've got Clearance Delivery at LaVerne here in SoCal and it's class D.

Boeing Field (BFI) in Seattle is Class D and has CD. Of course, it's less than 5 miles away from SeaTac Int'l and lies right below Class B airspace.

You only have to contact CD at BFI when you are IFR though. If you are VFR you just have to contact ground.

Clearance delivery delivers your clearance. You contact them first at nontowered fields prior to operating IFR after you file on the phone. If there is no tower or CD you call a FSS to get your clearance.

example "Portland clearance, Cessna 5440Hotel, on the ground Stark's Twin Oaks, ready to copy IFR Salem"

Then you copy the CRAFT they give you and your read it back. "Cleared to Salem as filed. Maintain 4000, expect 5000 after 5 min., contact Portland Departure 126.0, squawk 4321, hold for release"

[ QUOTE ]
Clearance delivery delivers your clearance. You contact them first at nontowered fields prior to operating IFR after you file on the phone. If there is no tower or CD you call a FSS to get your clearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there airports with CD but without a tower?

At MDW, VFR aircraft are advised to contact CD and give them your aircraft type, field location and requested heading. It varies from place to place.

Dave

Nope. If there's no tower there's no Clearance Delivery on the field. In some cases you can call the handling TRACON or ARTCC thru an RCO at the field - ie. at my home base of Cincinnati Lunken when the tower is closed we can call Cincinnati Approach Control and they will issue a void time clearance. If you can't do that you're going to be calling FSS either on the radio or cell phone.

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]Are there airports with CD but without a tower?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fly out of one. I'm just hypothesizing but wouldn't most nontowered fields near class Bravos and Charlies contact CD for clearance? I don't think many of us fly out of nontowered fields IFR...

I also fly out of one. The Class C is near enough, that we can get our clearance on the ground through them. Pretty handy really.

Just out of curiosity would you mind if I ask which airport you're at?? Are you sure there is a Clearance Delivery controller located at your airport or are you talking to one at another airport(ie - the adjoining B/C airport) thru an RCO?

Jason

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Are there airports with CD but without a tower?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fly out of one. I'm just hypothesizing but wouldn't most nontowered fields near class Bravos and Charlies contact CD for clearance? I don't think many of us fly out of nontowered fields IFR...

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, CD is part of the tower, or clearances are issued by ground. That's the only reason Iasked if an airport had a CD if there was no ATC facility on field.

At an uncontrolled field in C/D airspace, you'd contact FSS for your clearance, then contact the first ATC facility after takeoff, that being the servicing RAPCON for the C/D airspace. The RAPCON can't give you a clearance to depart from a field that isn't their's, to the best of my knowlege.

Mike that's correct - they(RAPCON) can not issue you a clearance to depart from an outlying uncontrolled field - but FSS can't either - no one can! What they can do is clear you into their airspace - that's why every clearance you get from a FSS/RAPCON/ARTCC contains the phrase "...enter controlled airspace on heading (xxx)...". Initial IFR clearances that you get at an uncontrolled field from FSS or RAPCON(and yes they can issue them) is to enter controlled airspace - not to depart from the field.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
I have never been to a class D that had a clearance delivery.

[/ QUOTE ] If you've been to a few, that may be unlikely. You might not have noticed it since VFR pilots don't =usually= have to deal with it. Check out airnav or the A/FD for those airports.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just hypothesizing but wouldn't most non-towered fields near class Bravos and Charlies contact CD for clearance? I don't think many of us fly out of non-towered fields IFR...

[/ QUOTE ]I suspect that it's a function of both proximity and operation numbers. If there are a decent number of operations it's a pain for ATC to have to deal with holding airspace open for void-timers.

For example, I listed 3 non-towered airports in the Denver area that list CD frequencies. There are others that are just as close or closer to the DEN Class B that don't have them.

Back