Clearance Delivery?

There are local procedures it seems. A few fields I've been into, have always said on ATIS what to do re: CD. MRY almost always combines CD and ground and the note on ATIS says so, but then then should never be a Class C (other this this weekend for the AMA SuperBike races at Laguna Seca, and durring the AT&T at Pebble Beach, and one or two other random events, but I digress).

My home field is non-towered, and I depart IFR all the time (the advantage of living on the coast, morning fog
smile.gif
from WVI
Call Norcal approach (there is a remote on the field) to request clearance. They give the CRAFT. On readback, usually a hold for release, or released report airborne, and a clearance void time if there is other traffic locally. Switch on over to CTAF, self announce, after takeoff, back to Norcal approach, report airborne. Seems to me like I'm departing IFR, no? And that is an uncontrolled field. But talking to apcon directly there, not a CD.

It is interesting to hear what y'all do locally though.

Josh

At an uncontrolled field in C/D airspace, you'd contact FSS for your clearance, then contact the first ATC facility after takeoff, that being the servicing RAPCON for the C/D airspace. The RAPCON can't give you a clearance to depart from a field that isn't their's, to the best of my knowlege.

[/ QUOTE ]

are there any uncontrolled field in a class c/d airspace???
from an uncontrolled field, when you have your clearance (that you got through atc, fss) you are cleared to enter their airspace within the void time. past the void time, you can still take-off, but have to remain vfr and get a new clearance once airborne. the void time is used by atc to protect landing and departing traffic to and from uncontrolled field.
as far as i know, any atc facility can issue you an ifr clearance to enter their airspace, how many times have we requested in the air an ifr clearance because the weather got bad at destination? you can also file in the air through fss, and then call atc to get your clerance.
if the airfield is not controlled, it has no cd. it may have a frequency listed, but it is not on the field. unless someone knows any?

SUS is a class D with a clearance delivery although it is only used for IFR clearances and about 95% of the time the controller working ground is also working clearance delivery.

Back