Citations and grass runways

Joshwa

A friend of mine down in the SW UK saw a Citation Mustang doing stop and gos on a 2600' grass runway. I understand it was just the pilot perhaps in preparation for taking the owner in there. Now, my initial reaction would be "that's bloody insane". Can anyone tell me if it's approved for grass (are any bizjets?) and what kind of performance you might get?

I'm thinking "Takeoff power set...V1" and a nice skid off the end if you tried to stop.

Looks like it's possible!

1007200.jpg

Oooo and something bigger!

1007211.jpg

1007769.jpg

There are photos and I believe video of Falcon 10's and 20's flying off of grass for a promo video. I can't find either at this early hour.

The Mustang IS approved for unimproved runway operations (including not just sod but also gravel) with the production line installed kit ONLY. There is an AFM Supplement that goes along with the install; the performance numbers for runway required go way up (as you mentioned).
Also there is a post-production kit that can be installed on other models of Citations....not sure which ones but they are all later model numbers.
I understand that the new PC-24 will be approved for unimproved runways; these are designed for this, not as an installed "kit" in the Citations..

EDIT: I'll search my files for the Supplement and see if I can get you some number comparisons.

I don't think there'd be a problem with it. I mean, there's nothing in the AFM of the Navajo, 99, King Air, or a whole host of other airplanes operated in the back country world wide prohibiting such operations. This may be a case of "if it isn't forbidden, it's permitted."

Thanks - didn't realise quite how capable some of these things are in the raw! Flying a jet off grass is now on my list of cool stuff I'd love to do.

As is the Dash 8, but you'd nearly expect that just looking at the thing. I don't remember there being any limitations on the CE-500 series Citations about "unimproved" field ops. Wait, I remember! One of the Citation II (550) I used to fly had a nose wheel spin-up system. It was deactivated of course, but there you go. Not sure if the CJ or Mustang would have that

Also loving the F-100 pic. That's a Citation I without thrust reversers too, which I would think you wouldn't want to use on grass anyway. I wonder if it has anti-skid, 'cause that would be helpful, even as awful as the Citations anti-skid is.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that none of the CJs are authorized for this. There are a few of the 500-series and the Mustang.....these are the only Citations that I know of.....

A friend of mine down in the SW UK saw a Citation Mustang doing stop and gos on a 2600' grass runway. I understand it was just the pilot perhaps in preparation for taking the owner in there. Now, my initial reaction would be "that's bloody insane". Can anyone tell me if it's approved for grass (are any bizjets?) and what kind of performance you might get?

I'm thinking "Takeoff power set...V1" and a nice skid off the end if you tried to stop.
Stop and gos?? On 2600 ft of grass? I'd pay to see that. ;)

After v1 there is no stopping.

Back