Cirrus Statistics (CAPS & Accidents)

I think a lot of people overestimate the chances of an off-airport landing being a success. And no, I'm not talking about Ben. I'm talking about all the macho, "I'd never pull the chute, you'll survive better if you fly it into the ground" types on here. Not that I'm advocating throwing up your hands and yanking the chute the first time the engine stumbles, but just a reminder that even a well-executed off-field landing can have horrific consequences.

Which is why I wrote this: IMO, it's situationally dependant.

No restriction like that that I know of, it's up to the PIC. Now, whether wise to land off airport in a fighter-type aircraft that would most likely destruct upon landing vs ejecting in a controlled environment and parachuting down in a chute that you have some control over, that's a whole another ball of wax.

In a light aircraft, you can easily land any number of places with no engine, and at least have some measure of control of where you come down and how hard/soft. For the times that you would not have that control (severe structural damage, truly no place to let down such as a heavy forest, etc) then the chute may be the more viable option.

All I'm saying is you normally have a better chance if you as the pilot keep flying the plane as long as its controllable, and using the chute as a true last resort if its no longer possible to still control the aircraft. The Cirrus affords that opportunity that other planes don't, which is a great thing. Pilots though, should know the limits of that system and when the appropriate times it is to use it. The limiting factor is pilot knowledge and training, NOT the Cirrus. Again, by every measure the Cirrus is as fine an aircraft as any other, with the added last-ditch safety feature of the chute. An excellent design IMO.

Curious, I fly 22's also and wondering why you have ALT 2 turned off in one of those pics?

Had an Alt 2 failure on the way to salt lake city and couldn't get it back up, so I shut it down per the checklist and continued VFR as allowed by the POH.

Back