Cirrus Pilots

Like most, I was a "hater" before I ever flew the airplane. Now i'm getting paid to fly it on-demand, and couldn't be any more satisfied with a single engine piston.
Not hatin' at all. I rode backseat in one last year and I'd love to fly one. I just can't really justify the $140 an hour dry (for a 20) while timebuilding.

75kts in a SR22?

I hope you are not shooting approaches in a 20 at 75kts.... If you are you are way off. The only thing that should be done at 75kts is a short field landing.

20 and 22's flap and approach speeds are basically the same.

Another Question

Using the Avidyne SR-22 G2 with dual 430's...

Say I tune a localizer frequency in Nav 1, and put the HSI in Vloc 1. On the PFD it will show me frequency and bearing...Is there a way to also show distance from station?

Another Question

Say I tune a localizer frequency in Nav 1, and put the HSI in Vloc 1. On the PFD it will show me frequency and bearing...Is there a way to also show distance from station?

Nope, there is no DME receiver in the Cirrus. Just have to cross reference with the GPS flight plan page. I have ours set up so that the #1 FPL page shows distance between each fix and the #2 shows cumulative distance for the flight plan. That way I can look at #2 when going into an uncontrolled field and give a distance from the runway without having to do a whole bunch of math.

It's a bit of a pain, but you could take GPS2, go direct to the localizer (Ixxx) and bring it up on the PFD as a bearing pointer or aux, which would get you DME to the localizer antenna itself. (well, close enough it makes no difference.)

Or, load/activate the ILS approach in #2 as well and then do the same bearing pointer or aux thing on the PFD, which will give you distance to the MAP (for the localizer approach, obviously DA is the MAP on an ILS), which is usually the threshold.

Aux is nice as it doesn't impose a bearing pointer to clutter up the HSI display, although all the really important needles are up on the AI portion of the PFD.

Dude, you're getting all freaky with the Cirrus. Sweet! :)

Another Question

Addressing the question of the A/P disconnect warning tone and "500" TAWS callout...

If you use the audio panel to isolate the pilot's radio/intercom, does it also isolate the annoying sounds to the pilot? If so, you could hit the button on the audio panel prior to A/P disconnect and spare your passengers the warning tone. I obviously wouldn't worry about it during a critical phase of flight, but it might be an option when workload permits.

I hope you are not shooting approaches in a 20 at 75kts.... If you are you are way off. The only thing that should be done at 75kts is a short field landing.

20 and 22's flap and approach speeds are basically the same.

POH says 75kts, but ive always felt more comfortable doing them at 80kts. All ifr approaches are done at 100kts til landing.

150 Kias to a 3 mile final then power idle wait for 119 first notch then wait for the second notch then slowly bring the power back to 35% and your on airspeed about .5 mile out.

It is what all the cool kids do or so I am told.

Isn't that REALLY mean to the engine?

Who cares, it has a parachute.

I for one believe shock cooling is a myth. I believe running your CHTs above 380 in the climb has a much more detrimental effect on the longevity of the cylinders than aggressively reducing power in the last 3 miles of the flight.

I seen a few Cirrus drivers wondering why they are blowing turbos and cracking cylinder heads.

One time I asked a guy why he didn't give the turbo some time to cool down before shutting down and his was response was "Don't need to, it has FADEC"
:clap::sarcasm:

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182883-1.html

Highlight of the article:

"If shock cooling were a definite hazard, your engine should fall apart when you bring the mixture into idle cutoff at the end of a flight. CHTs fall at a rate of 100°F/min or more in the first seconds of shutdown—triple the rate that starts the typical "shock cooling" annunciator blinking. Does anyone complain that repeated shutdowns are causing head cracking? Of course not.
Then why are we worried about pulling the throttle back?"

I seen a few Cirrus drivers wondering why they are blowing turbos and cracking cylinder heads.

One time I asked a guy why he didn't give the turbo some time to cool down before shutting down and his was response was "Don't need to, it has FADEC"
:clap::sarcasm:

I was wondering if FADEC would be the answer from a lot of guys. I mean don't get me wrong, the idea of having FADEC to just set power on climb and let the computer take care of the rest is a great one, but you've still gotta watch your cylinder head temps and treat the engine fairly gingerly or you're going to blow it up eventually.

Now somebody is probably going to come in with "SHOCK COOLING IS A MYTH," but Amflight proved time and time again it isn't. They operate more TIO-540's than anybody on the planet, and had operating that engine down REALLY well.

If you were not slowing pulling power back by 30 miles before the FAF, you were already behind the airplane in a very serious way. Sure it slows you down in the terminal environment, and sure it's a pain for ATC (we couldn't maintain any of their speeds, and got resequenced often), but it saved the engine.

The way it was just described is how I flew a turbine engine, not a large piston engine.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182883-1.html

Highlight of the article:

"If shock cooling were a definite hazard, your engine should fall apart when you bring the mixture into idle cutoff at the end of a flight. CHTs fall at a rate of 100°F/min or more in the first seconds of shutdown—triple the rate that starts the typical "shock cooling" annunciator blinking. Does anyone complain that repeated shutdowns are causing head cracking? Of course not.
Then why are we worried about pulling the throttle back?"

Bad example. Once you're below a certain temperature with your CHT's you minimize damage to the engine.

We can go around and around about this all day, but Amflight has piles and piles of data on this issue, and a bunch of busted engines to go along with it. When you put that many hours on that many TIO-540's you're going to collect data incredibly quickly.

EDIT: And it can be said an even better way; shock cooling is NOT going to produce a catastrophic even the first, second, third or even forth time you do it. It's when you do it time and time again to the engine that you will harm the thing. Kind of like over torquing a PT6. You're not going to have the thing blow up the next time you fly it, but eventually, you're going to have something come loose from continued events.

Back