(Cholesterol) Amazing What 6 Weeks Can Do!!!

Awesome job to all who have given themselves a bit of longevity.
I am worried about mine...
We'll see, the doc never says anything bad after I have my blood drawn

Stan, stay healthy man! It is all about the exercise. Don't find yourself in the typical mode of "oh, I'm tired." on the overnights. You know that getting eight hours of rest will do it so don't stand for sitting in those Gawd Dammm hotel rooms wasting away, get out and exercise somehow. Where there is a will there is a way. Crist, I bring my bike with me overnights, that is a total pain in the ass!

Congratulations, lifestyle modification is hard to stick with but is very beneficial if it works.

For general information, form the NIH (National Institutes of Health), the primary goal of cholesterol treatment is focused on the LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol (the BAD stuff :( ). The treatment goals are a Total Cholesterol of less than 200, a LDL Cholesterol of less than 100 and a HDL Cholesterol (the GOOD stuff :) ) of more than 40. As a general rule, unless there are other risk factors such as obesity, high blood pressure, known heart disease, if the Total cholesterol is less than 240 and the LDL is less than 160 and the HDL is above 35 one can try at least 6 months of lifestyle modification (diet and exercise).

If the Total or LDL cholesterol are above those values or the HDL below 35, then one should see a physician for medical management in addition to lifestyle modification. All of the medications approved by the FDA for the treatment of high cholesterol can be used when flying. One should report them at the next flight physical and a special issuance is not required.

See you on the Ask a Flight Surgeon! forum.:)

Stan, stay healthy man! It is all about the exercise. Don't find yourself in the typical mode of "oh, I'm tired." on the overnights. You know that getting eight hours of rest will do it so don't stand for sitting in those Gawd Dammm hotel rooms wasting away, get out and exercise somehow. Where there is a will there is a way. Crist, I bring my bike with me overnights, that is a total pain in the ass!

Yupper!! I'm on a rare- four day trip (I'm on reserve and we don't get those very much), and I've been able to work out (go running) two out of the three days so far. I get back in to DFW around 2:45 tomorrow and plan on doing a quick workout before picking up my son.

The lifestyle is for good this time. I've come too far to backlside again. I've still got 10 lbs to go before I'm satisfied with my progress, so.... stay tuned.

P.S. Thanks for the GREAT info Flight Doc!!! :nana2:

yo stan, me and a captain were looking at the bid packets for the erj and the CRJ, man am i jealous of those schedules. I can't wait to get to the erj. Everything in SJU is min rest. your lucky if you can get to the hotel calm down a little bit and get 7 hours of sleep. I saw a bunch of 18, 19 hour overnights on the CRJ. all i can say is "must be nice"

yea as long as your day is productive like getting to fly 6 or 7 hours in only 8 or 9 hours time. In san juan you can fly 7 or even right up to 8 hours in a day but your duty for the day is 13 hours and 52 minutes. with 8 hours and 30 minutes of rest and it starts all over again.

I saw on the bid packet for the CRJ at eagle there was one day you start out if Fayetville AR you fly to LAX and back and your done. it about 7.5 hours of flight for like 9 hours of duty time. now thats a productive day.

So which would be bettter, 12 hours in St. Thomas or 19 in Little Rock?

When the industry picks up a bit, Eagle will bring back the 18-hr Anguilla. That would be sweet for you guys.

Back