Chat with Robert from Flight Express...

I got the email for a Sept 14 class date today at FLX. Can people who work there (or worked there) shoot me emails about what to expect in training and out of training. I've been reading the boards in the search function and the website and everywhere else I can find, just seeing if I can find any new info. Thanks everyone!

I got the email for a Sept 14 class date today at FLX. Can people who work there (or worked there) shoot me emails about what to expect in training and out of training. I've been reading the boards in the search function and the website and everywhere else I can find, just seeing if I can find any new info. Thanks everyone!
Congrats on the new job! Best of luck!

Congratulations. Hopefully I'll see you out there someday.

My info is four years out of date, but if Austin still runs the class, I'll bet it hasn't changed much. I'll post it publically for anyone else who may be interested.

1) Read "Austin's very easy guides". www.austincollins.com, follow the instructions, it's pretty easy to find. As I recall you can find just about everything you'll use in training on that website.

2) Class is fairly fast paced, but not unreasonably so. The big thing is to study. Know 135 rest, duty, alternate, etc regs cold, that seemed to trip a lot of people up on the written. The 210 systems stuff is pretty simple because, well, the 210 is pretty simple.

3) Learn the flows. Chair fly the airplane. "positive rate on two instruments, out of usable runway, gear in transit, green light on, hyraulic power pack off..." I still remember...everything is a lot easier if you know this stuff going in (or so I imagine, I didn't!)

3) Austin says it and says it again, but it bears repetition: "Know how to fly in the IFR system". If you question whether you could pass an instrument checkride tomorrow, get to where you can. They're not in the business of teaching you stuff you should already know and they get downright unpleasant if they find that they're expected to.

It's not hard at all, it's just that there isn't the level of hand-holding some people have gotten used to. Stay awake and study and you'll do fine. It's a great job, you'll have a lot of fun and learn quite a bit in the process.

Good luck!

My info is four years out of date, but if Austin still runs the class, I'll bet it hasn't changed much. I'll post it publically for anyone else who may be interested.

1) Read "Austin's very easy guides". www.austincollins.com, follow the instructions, it's pretty easy to find. As I recall you can find just about everything you'll use in training on that website.

2) Class is fairly fast paced, but not unreasonably so. The big thing is to study. Know 135 rest, duty, alternate, etc regs cold, that seemed to trip a lot of people up on the written. The 210 systems stuff is pretty simple because, well, the 210 is pretty simple.

3) Learn the flows. Chair fly the airplane. "positive rate on two instruments, out of usable runway, gear in transit, green light on, hyraulic power pack off..." I still remember...everything is a lot easier if you know this stuff going in (or so I imagine, I didn't!)

3) Austin says it and says it again, but it bears repetition: "Know how to fly in the IFR system". If you question whether you could pass an instrument checkride tomorrow, get to where you can. They're not in the business of teaching you stuff you should already know and they get downright unpleasant if they find that they're expected to.

It's not hard at all, it's just that there isn't the level of hand-holding some people have gotten used to. Stay awake and study and you'll do fine. It's a great job, you'll have a lot of fun and learn quite a bit in the process.

Good luck!

Awesome post. I have it bookmarked, thanks!

b.

My info is four years out of date, but if Austin still runs the class, I'll bet it hasn't changed much. I'll post it publically for anyone else who may be interested....It's not hard at all, it's just that there isn't the level of hand-holding some people have gotten used to. Stay awake and study and you'll do fine. It's a great job, you'll have a lot of fun and learn quite a bit in the process.

Good luck!

Most of the information is still correct the problem is that the FAA recently stated that we needed FAA approved documents for training. The new link within Austins website is http://www.austincollins.com/featp.htm

EDIT--That doesn't mean don't print out the Very Easy Guides it just means that you need to look at that as well now.

HINT: Austin writes talking papers so what you read is what you get. If you don't believe me as upup89 or any of the other have have gone through training. He expects you to come to class prepared. If you ask questions that obviously shows that you didn't prepare he WILL notice.

Good luck to all in that class and if you want to PM me I will be happy to tell you as much as I can over the phone as well as through email or PM.

I chatted with Robert on the bus again today and they just brought in six new pilots for ground school.

If I hear about any opening positions, I will definitely post them.

If anybody knows any questions to ask, that might be a prelude to a hiring spat, I will ask that from time to time, but on the condition it won't be rude to a new acquaintance.

Cordially,

b.

The biggest thing is that people are unwilling to move. If you are willing to move to where ever they need you...apply.

Anyone know what the profile for the sim on the first day is?

Track to a VOR hit a radial outbound. They will ask you to tell them when your are over a certain intersection. After that, they vector you for an ILS. Its the one into KORL. Don't go below mins. and you will have the job.

I flew horrible for the first 3 minutes of it. So much so he stopped the sim and said that I needed to relax a little bit. After that I did just fine but all they are looking for is you not to make dumb mistakes and have a good attitude.

Good luck.

I will try and get an official number for you. The RUMOR I heard was 3 runs, and all were lost, then 1 more was picked up later.

Your rumor isn't true.

One was cut due to costs. I was picking up 2-3lbs of proof work on the ADS-SHV run....yes 2lbs of cargo. I could almost fit it in my pocket. The bank found it cheaper to simply drive it, and it was a scheduled cancellation anyway. We knew it was going to happen a couple months prior.

The other was put back on it's original Chieftain, since the 210 I was flying was in HOU as overflow. It is still an Airnet run.

Your fight isn't with FLX, its with the economy. And I don't know if you are aware, but those "Airnet" runs have been passed around to all the ADS cargo operators like a drunken prom date over the years. We are just a link in the chain man.

Oh and to imply that an FLX pilot dropped that ball (ie me, since I was flying the runs you are talking about) is laughable. You aren't even close on why those runs are gone.

How about the 15 Baron runs we don't have anymore? Hmmm, I wonder where those went? You don't see us complaining about it do you? Its low rent freight man, not a career stop.

Best of luck in your search.

Back