Challenger Truckee

I'm guessing SIC types are not really an airline thing. I know at mine, I had to do one left seat aborted/rejected takeoff to satisfy the requirement on my type check/LOE. Like reset the sim, everyone get up fire drill, and then do it. I may have also had to do a low vis taxi as well, but I don't think that part was on the actual type check, was earlier in training footprint IIRC.

SIC types were a thing as late as 2013ish. ICAO changed their requirement that every crewmember needed to have a PIC type rating so that is when all 121 pilots had to complete PIC type rating requirements, including the low vis taxi and rejected takeoff.

PIC types and ATPs for everyone became a thing after Colgan 3407.

This one time, at Band Camp, I had to do a rejected takeoff just after they told me I was going to have to do a rejected takeoff. It was totally unexpected and awesome training.

What’s a formal “NetJets and FlexJet type”? Do you mean fractional?

I’m sure folks would explain this to you if you weren’t so condescending towards towards their career path. Sure, you think you’re being funny, but I hate to be the barer of bad news, the internet is a difficult place to pick up petty sarcasm w/o a sarcasm tag.
91k? That's some white tie stuff raight thar! Totally formal.

You guys are spending too much on overnights. :) Now I’m not saying pack 4 days of food for a trip (never cared for guys packing a refrigerator on a trip), but somewhere is a happy medium.
Huh? Eat at restaurants! Buy extra clothes at the local Target store in the generic suburban hell of Wherevertown, Anystate.

I actually saw this video last week and was shocked. The tension was something I did not realize was so bad before the CVR transcript was simulated.

Also, it was easy to assume that the less experienced CA being behind, was causal to the accident. I actually fully changed my mind that the over confident, cocky FO was a horrific PM, a jerk, and pulled the damn speed brakes without verbalizing it and basically killed everyone. The video really made me change my mind on the FO entirely.

I actually saw this video last week and was shocked. The tension was something I did not realize was so bad before the CVR transcript was simulated.

Also, it was easy to assume that the less experienced CA being behind, was causal to the accident. I actually fully changed my mind that the over confident, cocky FO was a horrific PM, a jerk, and pulled the damn speed brakes without verbalizing it and basically killed everyone. The video really made me change my mind on the FO entirely.
14000 hours is a lot of time. Especially in the life of a corporate guy where 1 to 3 hr trips are the norm. I haven’t seen, was he always a corporate pilot?

14000 hours is a lot of time. Especially in the life of a corporate guy where 1 to 3 hr trips are the norm. I haven’t seen, was he always a corporate pilot?

No. He flew 121 for a long time. Big turboprops, CRJs, ERJs (for a very little bit), and I believe 767s, before going to the corporate world.

I've got about 150 hours with him (in CRJs) in my logbook. I can hear him saying a lot of that recreated CVR in his voice.

Yeah, bad all around. The captain was obviously way behind, and the cocky FO didn't help and ultimately killed them.

I’d imagine we’ve all had to deal with weak CAs at times. I certainly have at my regional and even at my current employer.

There’s a way to assist them without coming off as a complete prick, which instantly destroys CRM. I literally cringed multiple times watching this video.

There is a way to do that, and it's called just being a normal human being. Everyone has a bad day, everyone makes mistakes.

I've flown (rarely, thankfully) with some of these • God's-gift-to-aviation types. They're more a menace to safety and good order than a green captain a bit behind the airplane.

That's pretty cringey. Obviously an understatement given the final outcome, but in the moment, that guy reminds me of some of the worst IP's I flew with in flight school. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because who knows what had already transpired on this trip/crew pairing, or previous instances, but taken at face value, that is a pretty terrible way to interact with another professional. Many different ways to help an aviator along, who is still hanging onto the stabs, that don't result in the guy/gal shutting down.

Back