CFII or CFI as initial??

Zero1Niner

Getting ready to start on my CFI, CFII and (I hope) MEI. Curious what you guys think about the advantages and disadvantages of doing the II as the initial.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts:

Initial CFI-SE is a huge topic with the potential of a 6 hour oral.

CFII is a huge topic with the potential of a 6 hour oral.

I wouldn't want to combine the two into one super death-star checkride, but maybe that's just me.

My thoughts:

Initial CFI-SE is a huge topic with the potential of a 6 hour oral.

CFII is a huge topic with the potential of a 6 hour oral.

I wouldn't want to combine the two into one super death-star checkride, but maybe that's just me.

No intention of combining (that would be just plain ol' insane), just trying to figure out which one I want to do with the FAA (initial), and which to do with a DPE.

I worded that wrong. The first line should read "Any CFI initial is a huge topic..." (not just CFI-SE)

In any case what I meant is you would be combining all the CFI initial stuff with the II stuff.

I guess I am not quite sure of the question. Are you saying you want get just a CFII? Without looking at the regs, don't you need a category and class rating before you add an instrument rating?

Maybe I am misunderstanding.

I guess I am not quite sure of the question. Are you saying you want get just a CFII? Without looking at the regs, don't you need a category and class rating before you add an instrument rating?

Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Sorry if I was unclear. My plan is to do all 3 instructor ratings (CFI-A, CFII and MEI). I have a choice of which of the 3 I would like to do as my 'initial' instructor ride, which is the only checkride required to be with the FSDO as I understand it. All subsequent checkrides can be done with a DPE.

So my question is what would be the advantage / disadvantage to doing the CFII checkride first (as my initial instructor rating with the FSDO), then doing CFI-A and MEI with a DPE...afterwards.

So my question is what would be the advantage / disadvantage to doing the CFII checkride first (as my initial instructor rating with the FSDO), then doing CFI-A and MEI with a DPE...afterwards.

None of my CFI rides were with a FSDO. That being said, I think the CFII was by far the easiest ride of the three.

No, this very common.

Thanks! How does that work from a practical standpoint? With just a CFII, I assume you could just do instrument training. And it could be used in any aircraft of the same category on your commercial certificate?

With just a CFII, I assume you could just do instrument training. And it could be used in any aircraft of the same category on your commercial certificate?

Correct. I don't think they're many -II only instructors out there; most do it this way from a practical standpoint. Airman Flight School did the -II first, because they said from a Part 141 perspective, it required fewer hours. In some ways, the ride might be easier because it requires less physical skill and more mental.

There's really less "stuff" involved in the CFII ride. It's really straight to the point and usually isn't near as in depth as the CFI ride. I did my II as my initial and thought it was a good choice. That being said, it doesn't matter which one you do first. Both require A TON of studying and if you're prepared for the ride, you won't care which one you do first. Start hitting the FOI hard as soon as you can. It's sad to say, but it's mostly rote memorization and pretty boring. The examiner went over every page during my initial and it took 1.5 before that part of oral was done. I had 3 different study guides for the FOI and they really helped put a lot of info into and easy to study packet. See if you can find one if you don't have one already.

Also, start putting your lesson plans together. Those take a really, really, really long time if you put together your own. If you don't want to use your own though, do a search and there are some available off this website. They were posted in a message in the CFI section (I think they are CFI and not CFII lesson plans).

Keep us updated and good luck! Once you get the first one done, the world seems to lift off of your shoulders!

I did my -II first. It wasn't a big deal.

Still covered FOI stuff and systems as it related to Instrument instruction. I didn't have to "teach" landings, but I had to demonstrate proficiency landing. That was my toughest transition to the right seat.

If you're comfortable with it, go for it.

-mini

i have always been a fan of guys that do the ii as the initial. plus the flight portion of the checkride is a joke. its all straight forward. just make sure your instrument flying is strong. i did some add on training for ii and se guys. after thinking about it i thought they shoudl combine them to begin with. do whatever you feel most comfortable with. best of luck and let us know how it goes.

We do the CFII first, because it is easier to get a 2007 G1000 172 through the FSDO maintenance inspection than a late 60's/ early 70's model Arrow.

Am I the only one who when to the FSDO for all three instructor exams? :banghead:

Nope. I went through the FSDO. They're not *so* bad...

TTOP - My opinion is it doesn't matter which comes first; you're still tested on the FOI in either case and have to come prepared.

I did the II first. I really enjoyed instrument training anyway so it worked out better for me to do the II. I think there were fewer lesson plans for the II as well. All in all I still studied my A$$ off. :panic:

Good luck however you go about it!!

you will have to reinvest that money in doctor visits as the fsdo likes to take a microscope to you. :) in all seriousness if you are prepared there should not be a problem. one examiner i used for a student said a checkride is like a first date. made a lot of sense to me. use your imagination with the first date reference.

We do the CFII first, because it is easier to get a 2007 G1000 172 through the FSDO maintenance inspection than a late 60's/ early 70's model Arrow.

I did my CFII as initial with the local FSDO in a 172 G1000 with about 250hrs on it, it failed FSDO maintenance inspection, switched to a 172 G1000 with 50hrs on it also failed inspection. That's my luck for you, but I did pass on the first time once we found a plane that was able to pass inspection.

I did my CFII as initial with the local FSDO in a 172 G1000 with about 250hrs on it, it failed FSDO maintenance inspection, switched to a 172 G1000 with 50hrs on it also failed inspection.

Just curious, what did they fail the 172s for?

Back