CFI topics

MultiComm

[ QUOTE ]
how to become flight instrucor over there? {/quote]
--taken from the Falcon Fleet Forum Topic

The best way to become an instructor at Falcon is to train at the facility. There preference is for a student to do all training with them however it is possible to just do the CFI training. Those that do more training will have a preference in regards to hiring however you will be offered a job upon passing the practical test and a background check.

If you wish to be hired as a current CFI "from the outside" (i.e. not doing training here) then it will only be if demand calls for it. There is usually a steady flow of CFI students going through the academy to hire from, however should you wish to put in your resume, they will consider you should the need arise.

what if i got my CFII and MEI there would i have a chance of getting hired on there? How many hours a month do your instructors average?

CFI Employment

To complete the CFII and MEI ratings (for applicants that have not gone through our Commercial Pilot Program) you will first have to go through a evaluation stage which consists of the following:

1.5 hours of Private Pilot Knowledge (Ground)
1.5 hours of Commercial Knowledge (Ground)
1.5 hours of Private Pilot Flight Skills (Flight)
1.5 hours of Commerical Flight Skills (Flight)

This evaluation is at your cost.

Once finished with this prerequisite you will enter the program for the CFI, or since you already have your CFI, you would enter the CFII program to be followed by the MEI program.

After finishing the CFII program you may be offered an application for employment if the demand for CFI or CFII is there. If there are a group of in house students finishing up on the full program then they will get put on the top of the list.

We don't operate on waiting lists like several Florida schools so if you are hired, your monthly work time will depend on the number of current instructors on board with us. Most full timers average 40+ hours a month but it takes time to build your student base. We have had some instructors build as much as 80 hours in one month, however we don't simply hand students to you. You have to be at the flight school and help recruit new customers...if you play a role in the process when the customer decides to sign up you will get the student. Make sense??

Just out of curiosity, what makes your school so special? Sounds like a lot of costly, and time consuming, hoops to jump through and then you still have to recruit your own students. As for the hours... 40-80 hrs a month? Maybe I am in the dark on this but these numbers sound very low. I guess I am lucky to be at a school where they hand me students and I average about 30-40 hours per week.

Hey MultiComm, you keep using the term "We". Are you in management? Do you currently instruct at Falcon? If not, whats the hold up?

Flyingbrick32114 said:
so i have to go through the eval even if i have my intial CFI which i'm in the process of completing.

If you are interested in working at Falcon...Consider the eval a part of the interview...every flight instructor has different levels of profienciency and most flight schools (including Falcon) must set some type of standard in which to employ instructors. The eval is Falcon's standard.

Falcon Aviation only hires those that meet their level of training. Instructor applicants are taken very seriously...they are the lifeblood of the company. Falcon does not just sign people off for a checkride...the students pass/fail rate is directly a result of the instructor which in turn is directly a result of the flight school that employee's them.

If you were at one airline and decided to move to another you would not expect to just hop into their aircraft with no formal evaluation or training. Given that the airline usually (or always) pay(s) for the training, most flights schools are not raking in the profits and cannot afford to give up free flight time for a position that several consider as temporary until they can get a "better job".

subpilot said:
As for the hours... 40-80 hrs a month? Maybe I am in the dark on this but these numbers sound very low. I guess I am lucky to be at a school where they hand me students and I average about 30-40 hours per week.

Flight instructors at Falcon are only paid for the time they are with students (flight/ground/briefing, etc.). This is the 40-80 hours that I am talking about. They are usually here much more than that in a week however they are usually updating student records, and helping increase their student base.

As for the flight school handing students to you. I should clarify...if you are hired by Falcon and you just decide to sit at home hoping for a full schedule, then it won't happen. If you come into the office and show your interest in the company and be there when customers walk in wanting intro flights then you will grab the students.

Our dispatchers and marketing employee's are the ones that do most of the contact with new customers however they will assign students to instructors that are there and not just a name on the schedule. To be honest, it only takes a short time for instructors schedules to get busy however you must show interest in the company.

Bwatz said:
Hey MultiComm, you keep using the term "We". Are you in management? Do you currently instruct at Falcon? If not, whats the hold up?

Well if you look at my signiture that appears on some of my posts you will see that I have a Falcon e-mail address. I will save you the trouble of guessing my postion. Yes, I am managment and proud of it.

What's the hold up? Hmmmm, that is not of your concern. As long as I am enjoying what I do then that is all that matters.

MultiComm said:
Well if you look at my signiture that appears on some of my posts you will see that I have a Falcon e-mail address. I will save you the trouble of guessing my postion. Yes, I am managment and proud of it.

What's the hold up? Hmmmm, that is not of your concern. As long as I am enjoying what I do then that is all that matters.
So you basically started this thread to recruit CFI students, or should I say generate revenue, for your school. Nice sales pitch by the way.

subpilot said:
So you basically started this thread to recruit CFI students, or should I say generate revenue, for your school. Nice sales pitch by the way.

This thread was started back in September when I took the quote from the first post "how to become flight instrucor over there?" (yes, it was already spelled like that) from a another Falcon Forum (Falcon Fleet Forum Topic) and answered in a litigable manner.

The forum has morphed a little but still focuses on "How to become a Flight Instructor or How to get a job at Falcon"

Not that I need to qualify it, but show me a flight school that is in the those that support Jetcareers Section that is not trying to "generate revenue" for themselves. Initially, no intent was made to promote the flight school in a marketing effort...that is what the banner ad is for.

Back