CFI Renewal: Goodbye American Flyers!

If you were giving instruction outside of 135/121 then according to the FAA Chief Counsel you are in violation of the FARs. The Creech letter is very specific about ATPs not being able to instruct outside the scope of part 135 and 121. If this is the case (you were using your ATP to teach under part 91), I advise you to delete your previous post and ask the moderator to delete my quote as you do not want such things on the internet. In addition anyone you have taught using your ATP under 91 can be subject to a 709 ride.
"Question 1. What is the intent of the 61. 167(b)?
Answer 1. Section 61.167(b) authorizes an ATP, who does not hold a flight instructor certificate, to give flight instruction only if the ATP and pilot are engaged in air transportation service. The authorization is limited in scope.
Question 2. Maya pilot who holds an ATP certificate and a BE-300 'type rating give dual instruction in a BE-300 aircraft to a commercial multiengine pilot with an instrument rating in "air transport service," if the ATP does not have a CFI and the flight is to be conducted under part 91 operating rules? If so, could this time count towards the 1500 hour total time requirement for the commercial pilot to obtain an ATP certificate?
Answer 2. We spoke to you by phone and confirmed that the flight described in your question is not part of an FAA approved air carrier training program approved under part 121 or part 135. Since the flight is not part of an FAA air carrier training program approved under part 121 or part 135, that fact is' dispositive of whether the ATP, who does not have a CFI, may give flight instruction,
While section 61.167(b)(2) authorizes an ATP to give instruction when the ATP does not hold a CFI, the ATP would have to comply with both §61.167(b)(2) and §61.3(d)(3)(ii). According to §61.3(d)(3)(ii), the instruction must be "... conducted in accordance with an approved air carrier training program approved under part 121 or part 135 .... " In your questions, the ATP is not a CFI and the flight is not part of an FAA approved air carrier training program approved under part 121 or part 135. As a result, the ATP may not instruct the commercial pilot. Since the ATP is not authorized to provide dual instruction, the flight time may not be counted as instructional time."
I just gave 4 hours of dual in a HS-125, PT 91 student. I have absolutely no concerns about the FAA getting upset about it. I still don't have an MEI, or even a valid CFI right now.

I am not going to miss that weekend of hell every two years.
Which location did you go to for your renewal? All the FIRC's i've taught I walk out with tips for a great job, really good compliments, two thumbs up, and even comments to our school director on people recommending us to their friends/family. Sorry for your "hell" weekends that are only 2 measly days every 2 years, which is an easy peasy requirement to fulfill f you ask me. Sit down, listen, interact, and I give you the answers without literally giving you the answers. If you listen to my review session, you CAN NOT FAIL the damn stage checks. How much easier would you like it? But... to each their own...

Which location did you go to for your renewal? All the FIRC's i've taught I walk out with tips for a great job, really good compliments, two thumbs up, and even comments to our school director on people recommending us to their friends/family. Sorry for your "hell" weekends that are only 2 measly days every 2 years, which is an easy peasy requirement to fulfill f you ask me. Sit down, listen, interact, and I give you the answers without literally giving you the answers. If you listen to my review session, you CAN NOT FAIL the damn stage checks. How much easier would you like it? But... to each their own...

The location for my renewal is at home, online. I'm sure you're a wonderful FIRC instructor - I meant no disrespect to instructors at a course I've never been to.

The "weekend of hell" was tongue-in-cheek - many people complain playfully about being stuck to a computer for 16 hours due to the mandatory time limits on the modules when in reality most of us could finish and pass the test much more quickly. In reality, you're right, a FIRC is a pretty easy way to get a renewal and I've been very pleased with AF's pay once for life program.

The only real point of my post was I am excited to to become a Military Instructor Pilot - it's been a dream of mine since going to flight school 12 years ago. The discussion about the FIRC was a (not very clever) way to announce it. In reality my "renewals" are much more involved than a FIRC and much more frequent.

I am totally confused. The first post of the thread seems to suggest that online CFI renewals like American Flyers are going away. But the regulations don't appear to have changed when I looked at them.

I am totally confused. The first post of the thread seems to suggest that online CFI renewals like American Flyers are going away. But the regulations don't appear to have changed when I looked at them.

They aren't... it was a bit of a misleading title.

At Pinnacle when I was there, in the FOM, it stated that all CA's were deemed instructors. So, the FAA automatically renewed our CFI certs. I believe that may have gone away recently, but I am not sure.

This is definitely the case if your are an instructor of any sort at any 121 carrier. I've only paid for one renewal since I got my CFI in 2001.

Do you guys do much reading comprehension?

He said he's becoming a military instructor, and will be able to renew his FAA instructor credentials that way -- eliminating his personal need to use the American Flyers renewals process.

I assure you, his "hell" to get his military instructor qual (and his subsequent annual checkrides to keep that qual) will be significantly more of a pain (and more valuable in terms of instructor skills) than any of those AF weekends or online renewals.

The location for my renewal is at home, online. I'm sure you're a wonderful FIRC instructor - I meant no disrespect to instructors at a course I've never been to.

The "weekend of hell" was tongue-in-cheek - many people complain playfully about being stuck to a computer for 16 hours due to the mandatory time limits on the modules when in reality most of us could finish and pass the test much more quickly. In reality, you're right, a FIRC is a pretty easy way to get a renewal and I've been very pleased with AF's pay once for life program.

The only real point of my post was I am excited to to become a Military Instructor Pilot - it's been a dream of mine since going to flight school 12 years ago. The discussion about the FIRC was a (not very clever) way to announce it. In reality my "renewals" are much more involved than a FIRC and much more frequent.
Congrats! It will be challenging, but very rewarding!

Initially I thought I'd hate doing IOE, but once I started to do it, found that I loved it. Of course, that was much easier than what you're about to do :). On the other hand, you'll find that the guys you like the most, will push you the hardest as an IP, and you will kern the most from teaching them. - just remember, at one point you were that jackass asking off the wall questions too ;)

Do you guys do much reading comprehension?

He said he's becoming a military instructor, and will be able to renew his FAA instructor credentials that way -- eliminating his personal need to use the American Flyers renewals process.

I assure you, his "hell" to get his military instructor qual (and his subsequent annual checkrides to keep that qual) will be significantly more of a pain (and more valuable in terms of instructor skills) than any of those AF weekends or online renewals.
You are military, and clearly knew what he was talking about. I have no experience with anything military whatsoever, and had no idea what he was talking about. The regs for civilian CFI renewals have been under scrutiny in the past and I would not have been at all surprised if they had been changed. I think online renewals are pathetically easy, but as long as they're legal I'm thrilled they're an option.

Back