CFI reinstatement via II add-on

Not at all. Maybe if you do component level work? But for installs and troubleshooting not at all.
Interesting. Embry Riddle teach it as part of their AMNT 265 module. I wouldn't mind an extra FCC Cert just don't think many are open to me

This is a good way to do it for a full retrofit for sure. For any individual piece of gear guys like you and @drunkenbeagle have enough experience with wiring diagrams, protocols, etc that I’m sure you could do just fine working with an accommodating A&P. Of course part of it too is just having the tooling-a Daniels crimper and preferably a couple of the positioners. Then you can get into other stuff like the crimper for the sealed butt splices, battery cable crimpers…..I have a couple thousand dollars worth of just wiring tools and I have just what i have needed for the installs I’ve done.

I've got a Chinese knockoff of a Daniels crimper that will do the pinning jobs for me - couldn't justify the cost of a real one but if I was building harnesses every day it would be mandatory. My wiring diagram knowledge is spotty at best, but I can follow connections and duplicate already-there stuff well enough - it's not that different from wiring the phone systems that I did for the first half of my career.

The part that's got me scratching my head - and I could use a point in the right direction if you please - is figuring out the wiring between battery, alternator, voltage regulator, ammeter shunt, mags and ignition. 99% of this stuff is already in place for me, but it bugs me not knowing how it all it's all put together - I wouldn't be able to assemble it if I had to, vs. the other components in the radio stack or the EFIS setup.

And since I'm switching to push-button start with test switches for the P-Mags, it's changing a bit and it's something I just don't know. I've got a copy of The Aeroelectric Connection and while I can sort of follow it, it's not very clear and it's really, really out of date. I may need to pay someone to help me out on this part.

I've got a Chinese knockoff of a Daniels crimper that will do the pinning jobs for me - couldn't justify the cost of a real one but if I was building harnesses every day it would be mandatory. My wiring diagram knowledge is spotty at best, but I can follow connections and duplicate already-there stuff well enough - it's not that different from wiring the phone systems that I did for the first half of my career.

The part that's got me scratching my head - and I could use a point in the right direction if you please - is figuring out the wiring between battery, alternator, voltage regulator, ammeter shunt, mags and ignition. 99% of this stuff is already in place for me, but it bugs me not knowing how it all it's all put together - I wouldn't be able to assemble it if I had to, vs. the other components in the radio stack or the EFIS setup.

And since I'm switching to push-button start with test switches for the P-Mags, it's changing a bit and it's something I just don't know. I've got a copy of The Aeroelectric Connection and while I can sort of follow it, it's not very clear and it's really, really out of date. I may need to pay someone to help me out on this part.
Do you have any kind of diagrams from the builder? I mean most small aircraft alternator/battery systems are more or less the same but there are a few variations like do you have a battery ammeter or an alternator one (or with a modern EFIS system maybe both!), what kind of alternator controller do you have, what kind of circuit protection for the alternator feed, separate alternator master switch or part of the master, etc.

mags and starter [edit]can be very simple too, but once you start getting into replacing impulse couplings with electronic starting boost that circuitry does get more complex[/edit].

The generic single engine electrical system diagram you’ve probably seen/used before is a good starting place to get your head around it and figure the intricacies of your particular system from there.

I’m interested in the PMags, the engine r&r I’m doing right now is getting some sort of e-ignition on one side but supposedly all it needs is the extant magneto connection. When you say push button start do you mean replacing a key style start/ignition switch with a button, or some sort of semi-automated actual push to start setup?

FA8E9054-F2C7-4F5C-8BEC-229B051FF917.jpeg

Edit: then again, just some quick googling shows that some of the RV builders get very fancy with their power distribution systems! Vertical power and whatnot. Not sure what you’ve got installed.

Last edited:
Do you have any kind of diagrams from the builder? I mean most small aircraft alternator/battery systems are more or less the same but there are a few variations like do you have a battery ammeter or an alternator one (or with a modern EFIS system maybe both!), what kind of alternator controller do you have, what kind of circuit protection for the alternator feed, separate alternator master switch or part of the master, etc.

mags and starter [edit]can be very simple too, but once you start getting into replacing impulse couplings with electronic starting boost that circuitry does get more complex[/edit].

The generic single engine electrical system diagram you’ve probably seen/used before is a good starting place to get your head around it and figure the intricacies of your particular system from there.

I’m interested in the PMags, the engine r&r I’m doing right now is getting some sort of e-ignition on one side but supposedly all it needs is the extant magneto connection. When you say push button start do you mean replacing a key style start/ignition switch with a button, or some sort of semi-automated actual push to start setup?

View attachment 64247
Edit: then again, just some quick googling shows that some of the RV builders get very fancy with their power distribution systems! Vertical power and whatnot. Not sure what you’ve got installed.

Thanks for this. I ended up in a couple-hour session with my local mech yesterday, with a whiteboard and then time in my hangar tugging on some wires and getting my head wrapped around things.

I've de-railed this thread badly enough. I'll DM you. :)

I was about to recommend AeroElectric Connection to you when I read that you had it. I bought it and read it several times over, and still refer to it regularly. I used one of Bob's architectures for my RV-8 and modified it a bit for my glass panel. During my build, I learned far more about electricity than any other subject. I also have push button start and P-Mags. I don't get up to JYO as much as I used to, but I still am there occasionally. Happy to chat with you if you need a hand.

I was about to recommend AeroElectric Connection to you when I read that you had it. I bought it and read it several times over, and still refer to it regularly. I used one of Bob's architectures for my RV-8 and modified it a bit for my glass panel. During my build, I learned far more about electricity than any other subject. I also have push button start and P-Mags. I don't get up to JYO as much as I used to, but I still am there occasionally. Happy to chat with you if you need a hand.

I read it, but had a hard time with a lot of it.

Since that last post, I'd sought help from a local avionics tech and we've been working together on my retroft. It's almost done. The book is good for basics but it wasn't as helpful for me as it was being the owner-involved helper on this job. Have learned a TON.

I read it, but had a hard time with a lot of it.

Since that last post, I'd sought help from a local avionics tech and we've been working together on my retroft. It's almost done. The book is good for basics but it wasn't as helpful for me as it was being the owner-involved helper on this job. Have learned a TON.

If you ever need an extra set of hands, let me know.

Finally getting around to doing this, II check ride scheduled for the last week of Sept. Brushing up on all things instrument and waking up that part of my brain is fun. Any additional tips welcome.

Finally getting around to doing this, II check ride scheduled for the last week of Sept. Brushing up on all things instrument and waking up that part of my brain is fun. Any additional tips welcome.
Where are you flying out of

Passed my II today! Very thorough oral and flight, but enjoyable. Really enjoyed getting back up to speed on the instrument world and flying from the right seat again, and grateful to have my instructor privileges back to teach my wife and son, who were waiting for this to be official. Thanks for the tips along the way.

Passed my II today! Very thorough oral and flight, but enjoyable. Really enjoyed getting back up to speed on the instrument world and flying from the right seat again, and grateful to have my instructor privileges back to teach my wife and son, who were waiting for this to be official. Thanks for the tips along the way.
Congratulations

I also have a RedbirdTD2...

How do you like the Redbird? No Limits in COE has the G1000 version for $25/hour. I've only sat at it for about 10 minutes, seemed fine but I think I preferred the feel and behavior of my Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo with Xplane 11 simulator setup at home (unfortunately that isn't approved). I used the home setup extensively to prepare for my CFII checkride and I think it was a huge help.

Wife and I have started kicking around some possible business ideas, just wondering what the best value in BATD/AATD markets are.

25/hr is a pretty good deal compared to what I've seen around. I have the G1000 panel and the G430W six pack panel. I paid 5K for it used from the estate of a UA Capt a couple years ago. Had some issues with it being slow and being able to update the software so tech support sent me a whole new tower for 3K. So, I've got into it about what a new one would be. I think it fly's fine and love the versatility. You can do a lot of great training with it. I've never flown another BATD, so nothing to compare it to. I've thought about the LD, which would buy you a lot more usefulness, but at 4 or 5 times the price. You'd have to be sure the market is there. If a guy could pick up a used one for 20K, that would be the way to go. I had great service with tech support but it's not free. Customer support is really pretty bad. I sent an email six months ago asking about AATD's and just got a reply. I'm not interested anymore...haha. I think their sales dept is understaffed. It seems like they want a lot for tech support and updates in my opinion but everything that has to do with airplanes is twice as expensive as it should be, so whatever. I basically bought it to do what you are thinking of but have only used it for personal proficiency. No market in Chelan and I don't have a plane for the follow up. Looks like I'm moving closer to Spokane next year and will have a Cherokee 140 as well, so we'll see. Maybe someone will chime in on other BATD's. I'd like to know as well. Redbird seems like the biggest player.

Back