CFI Job/Any Job

deadringer86

I'm looking for a CFI job or any other flying position. Top priority is a competitive wage. I don't care where the position happens to be...US or abroad. Certificates/rating information is in my signature. I have approximately...

400 hours TT
80 hours Dual given
300 hours PIC
60 hours Instrument (not including simulator time)
30 hours ME (I should also be getting my MEI within a month or so)

I know the job market is tough with this little time, but any help/suggestions/ are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

how about your flight school where you got your ratings from. Try looking in job available page. Other than that, not a lot.

Would you go to SoCal? And what do you consider your bottom "competitive wage"? And how long would you stay?

Would you go to SoCal? And what do you consider your bottom "competitive wage"? And how long would you stay?

I'd say anywhere from $20 an hour on up is acceptable to me, as long as I can be somewhat assured of some fairly regular hours. Cost of living also needs to be taken into account as well though. Obviously, I'd want more money working in SoCal than I would in say Oklahoma. How long I would stay is a bit of a loaded question...as long as I continue to make enough money to support myself, and enjoy working for the employer, I'll stick around until I'm ready to move on from instructing (which will probably be when somebody offers me a jet job, which in today's economy means a very long time from now :D).

I'd say anywhere from $20 an hour on up is acceptable to me, as long as I can be somewhat assured of some fairly regular hours. Cost of living also needs to be taken into account as well though. Obviously, I'd want more money working in SoCal than I would in say Oklahoma. How long I would stay is a bit of a loaded question...as long as I continue to make enough money to support myself, and enjoy working for the employer, I'll stick around until I'm ready to move on from instructing (which will probably be when somebody offers me a jet job, which in today's economy means a very long time from now :D).

I'd work on your sales pitch.....do you think a manager of a flight school browsing JC would offer you anything after reading above? - Or someone refer you to their boss??....never miss out on a good networking opportunity!! Be economical with the truth.....it's only a lie if you tell it! :rolleyes:

I don't think he said anything a flight school owner doesn't know already.
It is understood that most will move on to a jet or airline work as soon as possible.
If they cared so much about CFIs sticking around, QOL and Pay would be better.
And flight training expenses would jump.

just my two cents.

shoot I would retire from a job instructing in 150s if they were offering me 32k a year and benefits.

Help get the word out for me.

I don't think he said anything a flight school owner doesn't know already.
It is understood that most will move on to a jet or airline work as soon as possible.
If they cared so much about CFIs sticking around, QOL and Pay would be better.
And flight training expenses would jump.

just my two cents.

True....but who you going to give the job to? The guy who implies he'll be out of here the first sniff of a jet or the guy who says he likes to instruct yada yada yada??....my bet is the manager/owner will take a punt on the guy who is more enthusiastic about instructing. After all, you're the one looking for the job - so show me you're interested.

Isn't the above statement catch 22 though (about them caring so much about CFI's sticking around...)?? If pilots cared so much about sticking around and instructing maybe the schools would invest more in them.....maybe that's a little naive. But no doubt the revolving door that is instructing does little to improve pay, QOL etc for everyone else. I bet career instructors (i.e those who stick around) do well for themselves in the long run.

2 Cents!

I'd work on your sales pitch.....do you think a manager of a flight school browsing JC would offer you anything after reading above? - Or someone refer you to their boss??....never miss out on a good networking opportunity!! Be economical with the truth.....it's only a lie if you tell it! :rolleyes:

I'm being completely honest. I enjoy instructing, but I have no plans of being a career flight instructor. When something else comes along that offers a higher quality of life, I will move on. I highly doubt I'm saying anything a manager of a flight school doesn't know already.

I can appreciate your honesty but from what you said, I would pass on you. Basically, the only commitment I saw in your comments was that you would move on at the drop of a hat, in spite of you speaking of getting enough hours and your continued enjoyment of working for that employer. There is nothing in your comments that appeal to a prospective employer although there are flags which cause one to be wary in considering you for employment.

Looking out for No. 1 is important but you have to give to get. Count me out of a debate on what constitutes giving and getting.

2-01-2009 Send to friend
AUSSIE AIR, INC. Flight Instructor
Daytona Beach FL,
Tel:
Fax: (386)257-0919
Email: Click here to apply
Web site: www.flyaussieair.com

Details

Currently seeking Flight Instructor for Full Time or Part-Time basisi. Position includes free
standarization and uniforms. Must have CFI, CFII preferred, 250 hours TT. If you are interested
in becoming an instructor with the Aussie Air flight school please email your resume to
aussieair@yahoo.com or fax to: (386)257-0919.

I'm being completely honest. I enjoy instructing, but I have no plans of being a career flight instructor. When something else comes along that offers a higher quality of life, I will move on. I highly doubt I'm saying anything a manager of a flight school doesn't know already.

I wouldn't worry about the dissenters in this thread. You seem to be bright and dedicated with a healthy mix of ambition and realism. The guys recommending you tell a flight school you want to stick around for the long haul (i.e. they want you to lie) don't have the experience to really know what employment as a CFI entails.

Notice the advice from Douglas... he actually is a CFI.

I wouldn't worry about the dissenters in this thread. You seem to be bright and dedicated with a healthy mix of ambition and realism. The guys recommending you tell a flight school you want to stick around for the long haul (i.e. they want you to lie) don't have the experience to really know what employment as a CFI entails.

Would you kindly elaborate on the dissenters standpoint?
I removed my initial response due to the fact that I obviously am not qualified or employed as a CFI. There was a time when flight schools realized that someone "moving on at the drop of a hat", (like Richard5 mentioned) is bad for business, it's reputation, and probably most importantly greatly affects students progress and quality of training.

I wish there were flight schools looking for long haulers. Seems like taking advantage of an abundance of people at low wages is more comfy than sparing effort to select and retain the right people. Not all low time pilots are timebuilders. Lots of flight time used to come to those who dedicated themselfes.

Cheers,

I'm telling the guy not to volunteer the truth so easily (nor am i telling him to straight out lie). Jetcareers can be a good networking tool but by being so blunt he may be closing some doors that may have otherwise opened. This applies to all forms of employment, not just CFI-ing. I'm sure he would not go into an interview saying he's off at the first sniff of Jet action - but the job hunt for him started when he posted the thread -
This is not dissent - it's advice!! Anyhow, this thread is getting side tracked from it's original intentions.......Best of luck with the job hunt.

Return to Jobs Board

February 3, 2009
ORLANDO FLIGHT TRAINING (Flight Instructors - Kissimmee & Merritt Island, FL)

Tel: (407) 518-7766 x 231

Email: Click here to Apply
Web Site: http://www.flyoft.com

I'm telling the guy not to volunteer the truth so easily (nor am i telling him to straight out lie). Jetcareers can be a good networking tool but by being so blunt he may be closing some doors that may have otherwise opened. This applies to all forms of employment, not just CFI-ing. I'm sure he would not go into an interview saying he's off at the first sniff of Jet action - but the job hunt for him started when he posted the thread -
This is not dissent - it's advice!! Anyhow, this thread is getting side tracked from it's original intentions.......Best of luck with the job hunt.

I appreciate the advice, and see your point. With that in mind, I think I was also misunderstood slightly. My intent was not to suggest I would leave at the first jet job that fell into my lap, but that if another opportunity presented itself that improved my quality of life, I would take it. Does a jet job that pays me less and has oddball hours improve my quality of life over a flight instructing job at an enjoyable place to work that is a reliable source of income? No...I would stay at the instructing job. I highly doubt there is anybody that does not feel this way, regardless of your career field. If someone offers you a promotion or a better job, I venture a guess that, in most normal circumstances, virtually anyone would take the offer.

That said, I realize it might not be the best thing to say when looking for a job. However, if I were someone looking to hire a CFI, I'd be wary of the young man or woman that claims to want to be a career flight instructor. There are just so few young people with this aspiration that it sets of alarms, at least to me. That's my opinion, at least, and I realize others have a different point of view. To each their own.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

"Dissenters" was a poor word choice. My apologies.

My point is simply to weigh the qualifications of those giving you advice in your decision-making process. An employed CFI, a Chief Pilot, or a flight school owner/operator may have more insight.

My intent was not to talk ill of, or down to, any of the advisers.

"Dissenters" was a poor word choice. My apologies.

My point is simply to weigh the qualifications of those giving you advice in your decision-making process. An employed CFI, a Chief Pilot, or a flight school owner/operator may have more insight.

My intent was not to talk ill of, or down to, any of the advisers.

Not taken that way. Thanks for explaining!
I hope OP finds a job. At least nobody told him to turn away from Aviation for one or two years... :rolleyes:

If pilots cared so much about sticking around and instructing maybe the schools would invest more in them.....maybe that's a little naive. But no doubt the revolving door that is instructing does little to improve pay, QOL etc for everyone else. I bet career instructors (i.e those who stick around) do well for themselves in the long run.

2 Cents!

I think alot of CFI's care about instructing, and enjoy sharing the flying passion with others. However, the market does not sustain those folks. Yes, the few who stick around do make a good living later in life. But even they are hurting now. In my area in the north, I know of 3 mom and pop flight schools shutting down.

I am going to be instructing until I have 1500+ hours. Its the way the older guys did it, and it is the only way I know how that I can build my resume. Years down the road there is going to be people with 1000+ dual given, and the guys given 300. Yes, one may have 500, 1000, 2000 more turbine. But in the view of a job interview, do you want to hire a guy with 3000 TT with 2300 Turbine, 300 duel, or the guy with 3000 TT, 1000 Turbine, and 1500 duel? Who do you thing is going to provide more to the company in the long run?

Back