CFI Initial Checkrides during shutdown

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
I assume I'm out of luck, since it is my initial and has to go through the FSDO?

I assume I'm out of luck, since it is my initial and has to go through the FSDO?

As far as I know the rule is that if they couldn't accommodate you within two weeks they had to give you a referral to a DPE. I would think that still holds true, but who knows. I'd just call and ask whoever is on call. I believe there's still at least one person operating at each office, but not sure on that either.

Of course if they do offer that solution, you're going to be adding a hefty chunk of change for a DPE fee... I would think at least $500 for a CFI Initial ride.

It used to be a 90% fail rate at the ATL FSDO with an average of 3 tests per applicant. I don't know if that still holds true.

It's 800 for a CFI initial ride in south Florida, but I honestly believe it's money well spent. It's to the same standards, yes. The difference is the presentation of the test, in my experience. DPE I had was very relaxed, and overall it was a excruciatingly overblown experience. I was prepared, missed my fair share as anyone else, but I was much more relaxed and ready for those "what if" scenarios and off the wall questions asked...I know no one has that much money laying around (edit: except major domo), all i'm saying is if you do have to use a DPE, the cost when you have the certificate in your hand is worth it (two weeks of waiting for the FSDO=800 dollars). I wish you the BEST of luck, blue skies, an airworthy airplane, and a fat dumb and happy DPE!!

It used to be a 90% fail rate at the ATL FSDO with an average of 3 tests per applicant. I don't know if that still holds true.

Yeah that's not the case anymore. The people my students worked with were all nice and straight forward. Most of the failures I've noticed were justified and not just the applicants having their shoes tied too tightly that day.

I heard that DPE CFI Initials have a lower first time pass rate than inspector rides. I heard it on the internet, so it must be true.

That said, I did my initial ride with a fed. Despite him being quirky and not allowing me any reference material (not even the darn PTS) it was a straight forward checkride.

I heard that DPE CFI Initials have a lower first time pass rate than inspector rides. I heard it on the internet, so it must be true.

That said, I did my initial ride with a fed. Despite him being quirky and not allowing me any reference material (not even the darn PTS) it was a straight forward checkride.
NO ref. material? So in this guys world, you'd teach students w/ no resources as well? That's amazing. How did he justify that?

NO ref. material? So in this guys world, you'd teach students w/ no resources as well? That's amazing. How did he justify that?
He didn't justify it, just said no reference material unless he asked me to prove something. He even told me that I got something wrong, which I didn't and I couldn't show that to him. But, oh well.

I did both my CFI and SA227 type with a DPE FSDO. They were probably two of the easiest checkrides I ever took. Like @rframe said, it depends on who you get.

To answer the OP's question, only certain DPEs are even allowed to do a CFI initial. You might be better off waiting.

Especially considering I'm at the Dupage FSDO...'cept homeboy doesn't have $500 hundred to spare.

Gotta get that TIP jar back up on the counter prominently displayed.

The FSDOs are looking for DPEs to average no greater than 80% first time pass rates overall. Many DPEs used to go a lot easier on initials (PPLs, Commercials, etc) and then have to make up for this largesse with the CFI candidates. So it's likely that if the DPE isn't Santa Clause for his/her basic rides, then s/he won't feel as compelled to fail CFI candidates for having shoe laces untied. That said, most good examiners are going to be a lot more picky about CFI candidates for the obvious reason that the CFI will pass on what he knows - or doesn't know - to students.

It's 800 for a CFI initial ride in south Florida, but I honestly believe it's money well spent. It's to the same standards, yes. The difference is the presentation of the test, in my experience. DPE I had was very relaxed, and overall it was a excruciatingly overblown experience. I was prepared, missed my fair share as anyone else, but I was much more relaxed and ready for those "what if" scenarios and off the wall questions asked...I know no one has that much money laying around (edit: except major domo), all i'm saying is if you do have to use a DPE, the cost when you have the certificate in your hand is worth it (two weeks of waiting for the FSDO=800 dollars). I wish you the BEST of luck, blue skies, an airworthy airplane, and a fat dumb and happy DPE!!

It's been about $800 for a CFI ride in California as well. Though there are weird things happening of late. SJC FSDO recently "fired" all but 1 of its Bay Area DPEs. Many claimed the FSDO's rationale was budget constraints, which makes no sense since DPEs are independent contractors. Who knows, maybe "budget constraints" meant the DPEs didn't have the $$ to afford better knee pads.

wow...give people an ounce of authority...yada yada...
That is what I was thinking too, the whole fed stigma. After my checkride I spoke to my instructor about it, who knew the inspector from previous rides. He said that he thinks the reason mine went the way it did was that the inspector saw me at the school often(he lived on the field and rented from them on occasion) and that everytime he was there he saw me teaching students or studying. He thought that the inspector wanted to see what all I had, and that if I struggled he'd probably let me reference stuff.

I didn't, but I guess if you can go into it with the mindset that reference material is not allowed then maybe it could help your preparation. Prepare for the worst checkride possible, hope for the best.

Last I heard, Dupage FSDO is averaging 80% failure rate.
I have a buddy that had the dupage fed pull out her phone during the check ride in the plane. He didn't know if it was a test or her needing to do something fed related. Can't remember what happened with that but he didn't bust on it. Just an interesting scenario I guess

Back