CFI Certificate Number Verification

shdw

Is there a website which exists for simple certificate number look up? Basically a way to validate a flight instructor certificate number through a simple, preferably government, search engine? Thanks.

PS I am not doing this to check cards and see if they are forging them, that's just dumb.

Ok, well here is my dilemma then. I have a need for a database look-up for CFI certificate numbers to check the numbers existence and verify it with the name. Preferably a database I can download weekly and use for this intended application. Would you happen to know who, or what department, of the FAA I would have to speak with for such a request.

This database is, unfortunately, unreliable as I would have to do address searches. That wouldn't be a problem if everyones address was available, however, people can elect to not have their address available and thus will be unable to be located and verified.

Thanks again.

Ok, well here is my dilemma then. I have a need for a database look-up for CFI certificate numbers to check the numbers existence and verify it with the name. Preferably a database I can download weekly and use for this intended application. Would you happen to know who, or what department, of the FAA I would have to speak with for such a request.

This database is, unfortunately, unreliable as I would have to do address searches. That wouldn't be a problem if everyones address was available, however, people can elect to not have their address available and thus will be unable to be located and verified.

Thanks again.

this is exactly why my address is NOT publicly available. why do you need to "verify" certificate numbers with an address?

this is exactly why my address is NOT publicly available. why do you need to "verify" certificate numbers with an address?

For a specific purpose I will explain to the FAA which I hope will give me rights. I don't need address information or any personal information. All I need is name and number to verify the person is an instructor, which over the internet can't be done as I cannot ask to see their cards.

Sounds like someone wants to start stealing flight instructors identities! This is excatly why this information is not avaiable.

Sounds like someone wants to start stealing flight instructors identities! This is excatly why this information is not avaiable.

You couldn't be more wrong, but I can't give details yet, lets just say, to be continued and it will be posted here as soon as it is ready.

All I need is name and number to verify the person is an instructor, which over the internet can't be done

Sure it can. The https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/ site lists all certificaes held by whatever specific individual whose record you look up. This includes pilot certificates, CFI certificates, and A&P certificates.

But you have to search by name and usually by state since there's a limit on how many names can be displayed at a time.

That database isn't always up to date either, so if someone doesn't check out you better do a lot more research before accusing. Just a thought

Why not just search by name first and if that doesn't yield the results, call the Airmen Certification Branch and ask if they can verify that someone has an unexpired, unsuspended, unrevoked license on file. I've never tried it but would they give you that information as a potential employer? If it's potential employment why not ask for a scanned copy of the license be sent faxed or email from the applicant?

And actually if you got the person's middle initial or name that should limit the search results enough that you the address might be unnecessary.

I'd say your best bet is to call the Airman Certification Branch of the FAA and explain to them your situation. Phone # is (866) 878-2498, and they're apparently open 0730-1630 Central Time. Good luck.

If you suspect someone is doing something illegall call the local FSDO and let their investigators handle it. It what they are paid to do and can do it much quicker than you can. If your just being nosey than stop. Calling the certification branch will raise flags and they will want to know why the information is being requested.

If you suspect someone is doing something illegall call the local FSDO and let their investigators handle it. It what they are paid to do and can do it much quicker than you can. If your just being nosey than stop. Calling the certification branch will raise flags and they will want to know why the information is being requested.

I agree completely with you. I you have a simple need to check your flight instructors credentials and don't believe the certificate that is in his pocket, then check the standard search on the FAA website.

If this is for employment purposes then I'm sure a check can be completed. I had to sign a document for my part 135 job for the FAA to release my credential to my employer (just a simple piece of paper that lists certificates and ratings.)

Either way you can get the information you want, but there is no way you can just go on your home and work computer and pull up someones certificate number.

tgrayson said:
The airman database is available as an Access database. I have an email somewhere from the FAA telling where it is located, but it's on one of my old computer systems. I'll look for it later if you can't get the info from the FAA.
Nevermind....the database no longer includes the certificate number. I guess large numbers of pilots still have their SSN as the certificate number.

Back