CFI Binder and the ACS

over2departure

Sounds like my first marriage.
Hi All,

I'm in the early stages of creating lesson plans for my CFI-A and was wondering if anyone could provide some clarity on how exactly I should be aligning my binder with the ACS?

Any feed back would be appreciated from recent CFI applicants on how the ASI/DPE critiqued lesson plans; specifically what format did you use (Elements, Completion Standards & Common Errors vs. Objective, Knowledge, Risk Management & Skills). Thank you in advance.

Most of the ACS is pretty much similar to the PTS besides the way it's outlined with "risk management and skills". Just make your lesson plans in order with the ACS.

Remember the ACS is only going for Private and Instrument (right now).

Most of the ACS is pretty much similar to the PTS besides the way it's outlined with "risk management and skills". Just make your lesson plans in order with the ACS.

Remember the ACS is only going for Private and Instrument (right now).
I'm also in the early stages of lesson planning and trying to get the hang of making them. Does the examiner look through your lesson plans and critique the format? Or does he/she not even really pay attention?

I'm also in the early stages of lesson planning and trying to get the hang of making them. Does the examiner look through your lesson plans and critique the format? Or does he/she not even really pay attention?
They're not required to flip through your binder but they can critique the lessons you are asked to teach.

On both my CFI and CFII checkrides the examiner never looked at my lesson plans. Pretty much as stated above they will probably critique you as you teach. When they want you to teach a lesson plan just make sure you USE your lesson plan...or at least pretend too. I know an examiner who failed a CFII candidate for not only teaching it wrong but not using the lesson plan.

We are humans and they don't expect you to memorize every single thing. They just want to make sure you do the right thing when a student asks you a dumb question you should know, but might have had a brain fart and forgot.

Hi All,

I'm in the early stages of creating lesson plans for my CFI-A and was wondering if anyone could provide some clarity on how exactly I should be aligning my binder with the ACS?

Any feed back would be appreciated from recent CFI applicants on how the ASI/DPE critiqued lesson plans; specifically what format did you use (Elements, Completion Standards & Common Errors vs. Objective, Knowledge, Risk Management & Skills). Thank you in advance.

I would - for the Private ACS. It is not much different, however incorporating the risk management when teaching from the lesson plan would look good for the applicant, I feel. For maneuvers that are both in the Private ACS and Commercial PTS, I mention both standards and differences for Private and Commercial, and incorporate the ACS risk management into the Commercial aspect as well. Then I just reference the ACS, PTS, and FAA publication. So it becomes one lesson plan that I can teach both maneuvers from, while going above and beyond in the RM department for the Comm maneuvers because it is still applicable. I hope that makes sense.

I would - for the Private ACS. It is not much different, however incorporating the risk management when teaching from the lesson plan would look good for the applicant, I feel. For maneuvers that are both in the Private ACS and Commercial PTS, I mention both standards and differences for Private and Commercial, and incorporate the ACS risk management into the Commercial aspect as well. Then I just reference the ACS, PTS, and FAA publication. So it becomes one lesson plan that I can teach both maneuvers from, while going above and beyond in the RM department for the Comm maneuvers because it is still applicable. I hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense & pretty much sums up what I've been doing so far, just wanted to see if anyone was making any drastic changes to the way everything is formatted. thanks for the help.

Makes perfect sense & pretty much sums up what I've been doing so far, just wanted to see if anyone was making any drastic changes to the way everything is formatted. thanks for the help.

No drastic changes. Just some additions to the discussion and procedure to round off the lesson well. I always add the references at the bottom anyway. No problem.

Back