Cessnas to get Glass Cockpits

[ QUOTE ]
Surprisingly with little difference in price.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm - don't know about that.

The last article I saw (before that one) said that you can get the Garmin "glass" cockpit for an extra $25,000.00.
blush.gif

Don't know what kind of cake you're bringing in, but that ain't chump change to the rest of us.
wink.gif

Guess if you spread it over 20 years though.......(taxes not included), it works out to a little over $104.00 per month more.

yep! My CFI works for Garmin and you'll be seeing the G1000 in more than just Cessnas aircraft....it is AWESOME.

[ QUOTE ]
The last article I saw (before that one) said that you can get the Garmin "glass" cockpit for an extra $25,000.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering a new Cessna costs around $200,000, an extra $25 Gs isn't that much more. If you have $200,000 of discretionary income, it's probably chump change.

A few questions:

1. Who, aside from Cessna, is going to be able to teach pilots how to fly these MFD-based planes? If an appropriately rated pilot buys one of these things used in a few years, will he be able to just teach himself?

2. If this is the wave of the future, how will CFIs adjust to teaching these systems, along with, say, a Piper avionics package, and a Diamond Aircraft package? Will they have to learn every system? [I know, we're probably a long ways away from these things being used in primary flight trng., but still...]

3. Will anyone, besides me, miss the old panels full of "steam gauges"?

[ QUOTE ]
3. Will anyone, besides me, miss the old panels full of "steam gauges"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but they're not putting them on the 172s. The article said they're only offering them on new 182s and 206s.

Pretty slick. But does it bother anyone else that there isn't a stand by VOR indicator or even an ADF for that matter?

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty slick. But does it bother anyone else that there isn't a stand by VOR indicator or even an ADF for that matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because if your PFD screen craps out, then you've got no way of flying most instrument approaches. Hopefully, your other screen is still alive so you could fly a GPS appraoch. If not, then you'd have to find a PAR approach.

I read an article about this in IFR Magazine, specifically about the PFD/MFD in the Cirrus SR22. The author said that his screens did fail on two or three occasions in flight since he bought the plane new. Luckily, he was not in any serious IMC conditions and he was able to get the screens back up by cycling the switches. His plane had a backup VOR, but no glideslope bar or ADF, so he was a bit worried about the failure rate. It's probably too early to tell if this is a real risk for all planes with monster PFD units.

Yeah. Sorry, but in my book a $1,500 - $2,000 King VOR/GS head is a pretty "cheap" backup if that TV decides to blow a fuse.

Maybe it's just because the second ever approach I ever shot in IMC my No 1. nav went south but I just think its a good idea to have a backup of some kind (we used the No. 2 nav to shoot the LOC). I wouldn't be too concerend if it were just a VOR (rather have that than an ADF) but the combo heads are literally only $1,500-$2,000 and on a $200,000+ airplane that's chump change.

I'm surprised the FAA let it be certified that way. Well, not really.

They'll let a new airplane roll out the factory without a single back-up IFR instrument but god forbid the factory installed clock in your old IFR beater goes south. Technically you'd be SOL for IFR ops at that point. Go figure.

Back