Cessna's and Piper's

Jonnyb9040

Cessna\'s and Piper\'s

Ever since I started flying up until today I have been flying cessna's. I have my PPL, and about 150 hours. In July, I will be attending a flight school that only uses piper's. How difficult is the adjustment from high-wing to low-wing?

Re: Cessna\'s and Piper\'s

you should not really have any problems at all. the low wing is a better view though I think.

[ QUOTE ]
you should not really have any problems at all. the low wing is a better view though I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I love your avitar. That is great
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope...

The high wing Cessna has a much better view.

There are a few things that take a little getting used to. No big deal...

Low wings tend to float more while in ground effect...Little stuff like that. 2 flights and you'll have it figured out.

You'll see better while turning. You'll see more in general, unless you really care what is RIGHT below you. You'll have no strut in the way. You'll be able to see how much fuel is actually in the tank during preflight.

The bads. You'll not be able to stand under the wing too easy on a rainy day. You'll have to climb in through one door. You have to duck down to remove/attach a tie-down.

Look at is as variety though. Good to get into other models. Get used to the low wing though, if you plan on moving up. Not many airliners I know of fly with a highwing that sits right over your head
smile.gif

Josh

I like flying cessnas opposed to pipers. However, One of the things I hate about cessnas is that i can't see the runway when turning final from my base leg.

Smoke

[ QUOTE ]
i stand corrected

[/ QUOTE ]

How can an opinion be wrong!? It all depends on what you are trying to see
smile.gif
. I personally prefer the low wing... but I'd take a nice 152 any day over the Arrow.

ya , i was just being sarcastic.

i like the pipers because i usually hit my forhead on the wing or a flap on a cessna. I guess i should look up
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ya , i was just being sarcastic.

i like the pipers because i usually hit my forhead on the wing or a flap on a cessna. I guess i should look up
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just stop putting those silly flaps down during preflight!! There's nothing to see there!!

[ QUOTE ]
In July, I will be attending a flight school that only uses piper's

[/ QUOTE ]

where ya goin to school?

about the planes each has its disadvantages and advantages

Cessna: good for seeing the ground and sightseeing, but not good for spotting traffic

Piper: good for spotting traffic and such but not popular with passengers because of the low wing

I have to say cessna is better for preflight and getting in, cause you dont have to crawl under the wing to undo the tiedowns and then crawl across the right seat to get to the left seat. But once you are in, the plane Piper is much better. You have to manage your fuel, and it feels like you are flying more plane than you are. I love piper, to bad no local FBO has any.

OMG the low-wing vs high-wing argument.....

There is no winning this debate, it's all about whatever YOU personally prefer. Each has good & bad characteristics, and neither is better than the other. It's not difficult to transition between the two.

Ditto to what MQAAord said.

I think the best bet is to fly them both. I have likes and dislikes about each and I have fun flying them all.

From a flying skills standpoint, there's little difference (if any) between flying the two. The addition of a fuel pump and the responsibility for managing one's fuel supply require more attention from pilots used to a fuel selector with a "both" setting, particularly on your first couple xc flights in the Piper.

Visibility in all the directions important to the pilot IS better in the Piper; you'll find the base-to-final turn much easier due to the ability to see the runway throughout the turn--which allows you to adjust your rate of turn and minimizes overshoot/undershoot difficulties.

There are a few things that take a little getting used to, though. The flaps control is what's called a Johnson Bar and is on the floor between the seats, it operates sort of like an emergency brake in many cars. The nice thing about it is that you don't really have to direct your attention visually to it to operate it; most have three detents (15, 25 and 40 degrees), so you just pull up until it locks at the detent. The throttle and mixture controls are lever-type controls as opposed to push/pull knobs like on the Cessna. I'm still not fully used to them.

The biggest adjustment in moving to the PA-28 that I sometimes fly was the fact that the airspeed indicator was in MPH rather than knots, forcing me to learn and keep straight a different set of speeds. To be honest, I find myself relying more on the colored arcs than the numbers because of this. The next biggest adjustment was getting used to the Garmin GNS 430 in the airplane, which isn't to be taken lightly as it's the #1 comm. The downloadable PC simulator from Garmin is a must-have for getting used to using it. You don't want to be futzing with the thing in busy airspace (the only kind we have around here).

[ QUOTE ]
The next biggest adjustment was getting used to the Garmin GNS 430 in the airplane, which isn't to be taken lightly as it's the #1 comm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but once you've flown 40 or so hours with a GNS-430, it becomes a part of you!! Definately a dafety enhancer, and it has the potential to make life much, much easier. Make sure you don't forget how to track a VOR ,using raw data, though - and remember that airways still do exist!!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The next biggest adjustment was getting used to the Garmin GNS 430 in the airplane, which isn't to be taken lightly as it's the #1 comm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but once you've flown 40 or so hours with a GNS-430, it becomes a part of you!! Definately a dafety enhancer, and it has the potential to make life much, much easier. Make sure you don't forget how to track a VOR ,using raw data, though - and remember that airways still do exist!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So what would life be like with 2 Garmin 430's?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
How difficult is the adjustment from high-wing to low-wing?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't. No matter what you start in, you will most likely fly a low wing when you transition to a twin.

High wings do have the following advantages:
1. Better shelter from sun and rain during preflight
2. Sun shade in flight
3. Ability to see the ground better

Low wings:
1. Can see if gas caps are on in flight
2. Can clear turns in the direction of the turn while turning
3. No need for a ladder or step to inspect fuel tanks/upper wing

Back